Confirmed with Link: [VGK/DAL] - Marc Methot for 2020 2nd and Dylan Ferguson

________

Feb 6, 2006
With Montreal and Toronto on the no trade list, you'd have to imagine that lowered the price so the Stars could get him at a reasonable price.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
What is the outline of the team going forward into next year? Do you guys think the nucleus of Seguin, Spezza, Benn up front and Klingberg, Methot and Hamhuis on D and Bishop in net is good enough to get back into the playoffs?

I just look at Capfriendly and view the team as everything I said above, like it's a depleted roster.

If you think the nucleus of our D is Hammuis and Methot then I'm led to believe you're basing a roster quality on number of names you recognize. Wait until you meet Honka and Klingberg.

________

Feb 6, 2006
What is the outline of the team going forward into next year? Do you guys think the nucleus of Seguin, Spezza, Benn up front and Klingberg, Methot and Hamhuis on D and Bishop in net is good enough to get back into the playoffs?

I just look at Capfriendly and view the team as everything I said above, like it's a depleted roster.

Stars will be a legit cup contender, provided the team isn't depleted with injuries. They just need to add a couple wingers, hopefully Justin Williams is one of those. Adding players who are strong playoff players should be the goal.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Ritchie and Shore in their 1st seasons get 16 and 13 goals. Janmark got 15 goals as a rookie and if he is healthy he's solid. Faksa is a beast, 12 goals in his first full season. 2 UFA RWs with our cap space plus Roussel and that's 10 good forwards.

Assuming we don't go 30th on PK and don't lose 90% of games that go past 60 minutes again we have the pieces to be fine. It's early yet, but where's the team in our division that improved?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Wow, another great deal by Nill. A few here were saying his job is on the line....I think he has saved it with the draft, Bishop and Methot. Ferguson has already become a late round draft pick value by being in this trade. Wow, just wow.

We thought Ottawa or STL wanted Ottenger, so we traded up. Makes me wonder if they picked Ferguson with some kind of general understanding or deal already in place.

A second a long time from now (although it may be one we need to rebuild after winning the SC and then not being able to afford all our players!) doesn't seem too much to give for a few years of our first pairing D man.

Can't believe they still have an interest in Alzner now, could they? I mean, to me, Methot/Haimus/Lindell/Nemeth down the left side is just fine. Rather have another up and comer on the third pair.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Ritchie and Shore in their 1st seasons get 16 and 13 goals. Janmark got 15 goals as a rookie and if he is healthy he's solid. Faksa is a beast, 12 goals in his first full season. 2 UFA RWs with our cap space plus Roussel and that's 10 good forwards.

Assuming we don't go 30th on PK and don't lose 90% of games that go past 60 minutes again we have the pieces to be fine. It's early yet, but where's the team in our division that improved?

As you say it's still early but I think the better question is what teams are still head of us in the Central?

Preds? Yes, even if they don't find a Neal replacement and I'm pretty sure they will.
Wild? Yes. Boudreau teams always kick ass in the regular season.
Blues? Yes
Jets? Toss up. I can easily see them winning the division or finishing 5th.
Chicago? Toss up. With all of those recent trades they may not make the playoffs.
Colorado. No.

Daniel M

Dec 2, 2014
Would have preferred Tanev, but still happy we landed someone.

Last edited:

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
I really liked Ferguson :/ I would have liked to keep the second, but no really big deal. Would have preferred Smith or Del Zotto, but eh, I'll take it. Got to find out what to do with two of Pateryn, Oleksiak, and Nemeth, though.

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
Yay, a 32 year old declining defenseman with a 5 mil cap hit for 2 years. We've definitely not seen Nill acquire vets with similar profiles that have turned into terrible deals. :shakehead

His shot suppression stat is slightly below average, his possession numbers are crap, and Karlsson's metrics both offensively and defensively improved without Methot. With his 0 regular season goals, he doesn't compensate with offense at all either. Add in he's getting more than anyone else on our blue line, and there's not much for me to really like at all.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yay, a 32 year old declining defenseman with a 5 mil cap hit for 2 years. We've definitely not seen Nill acquire vets with similar profiles that have turned into terrible deals. :shakehead

His shot suppression stat is slightly below average, his possession numbers are crap, and Karlsson's metrics both offensively and defensively improved without Methot. With his 0 regular season goals, he doesn't compensate with offense at all either. Add in he's getting more than anyone else on our blue line, and there's not much for me to really like at all.

For what Nill gave up, he was never going to get a good player. There don't even seem to be any good d-men available. Nill got an average guy, and that's not a bad thing. This roster could use an average d-man to push the bottom of the depth chart off the team.

Also keep in mind, Methot's cap hit means nothing. The Stars have near infinste cap room this season. Next season, Kari and Hamhuis come off the books (a combined $9.65 million). And most any average guy signed in free agency wouldn't be much cheaper.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
To not recognize how far below market value this is is baffling. I was among the many who didn't want to get Methot, but you're not pay attention to the hockey world if you're characterizing this deal as giving up anything of value. Ideally you'll be a contender in 2020, but if you're not, you realistically have a shot at flipping Methot for a larger return than you paid for him. On an expiring contract, players of his ilk get a 2nd and a 3rd or mid range prospect (not a 7th rounder) without blinking an eye.

Now, if Smith signs for $3.5 million (unlikely) for 3 years (unlikely), it'll smart a bit. Even a 4 year deal for $4 million (similar to Russel's) will cause me to pause a bit and that's not an entirely likely deal either.

As far as asset management goes, this was miles better than nearly every alternative other than Smith. I also wouldn't have said it was that realistic, but thankfully GM GM mismanaged the expansion draft in a very serious way. Shooting himself in the foot opened the door for a below value return. I thought for sure some kind of 1st round pick was going to be involved and potentially more. It was one of the main reasons I really hated the idea of landing the guy.

He'll probably have a similar impact as Hamhuis which is underrated and stabilizing, but he's not going to single highhandedly win games and blow you away. He should have a positive impact on the PK as well. He and Hamhuis' deals are honestly exactly what you need. They'll be good for 1 or 2 more years and move on.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I agree, we should have traded a 2020 2nd and Ferguson for OEL or Brodin or deHaan or Manson or Hanafin or Hamonic instead.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
.... and exhibit one ... Satan,Troy, and Misty actually seem agreeable with the deal. There should be some sort of rule against complaining if they find something acceptable.

:)

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
.... and exhibit one ... Satan,Troy, and Misty actually seem agreeable with the deal. There should be some sort of rule against complaining if they find something acceptable.

:)

Like you said, it's another Hamhuis. If he can be at that level for 2 years that is an incredible value. Using the time value, the argument can be made that he cost just slightly more than Oduya cost the Hawks. It's bananas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Like you said, it's another Hamhuis. If he can be at that level for 2 years that is an incredible value. Using the time value, the argument can be made that he cost just slightly more than Oduya cost the Hawks. It's bananas.

I'm honestly still in shock had how poorly GM GM handled the expansion draft. He made some really nice deals, but for the most part, he bungled quite a few.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's like this. That 2020 2nd rounder won't make a meaningful impact on the NHL until 2024 at the earliest. That's eight years from now. And that's assuming the guy even pans out, which most 2nd rounders don't. Nill got an average NHLer today in exchange for the possibility of having a decent young player in eight years.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hypothetically .... does this set you up for ultimately a Heiskanen-Klingberg pair? We all pretty much assumed that would eventually happen, but it kind of works out perfectly now in terms of allowing a season playing down the lineup to get acclimated to the NHL and North America. Lindell and Honka have been paired together before, and that's honestly a pair you could see as early as this season.

2017-18
Methot-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka
Hamhuis-Johns

2018-19
Methot-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka
Heiskanen-Johns

2019-20
Heiskanen-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka
Bayreuther/Heatherington-Johns

Next year, based on performance from game to game, I think you could see the Lindell-Honka and Hamhuis-Johns pairs rotate as far as which gets used more.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
You bastages, nice trade. Think you are in good hands with Hitch, too, that was your best offseason move by far. He's underappreciated.

Best of luck.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hypothetically .... does this set you up for ultimately a Heiskanen-Klingberg pair? We all pretty much assumed that would eventually happen, but it kind of works out perfectly now in terms of allowing a season playing down the lineup to get acclimated to the NHL and North America. Lindell and Honka have been paired together before, and that's honestly a pair you could see as early as this season.

2017-18
Methot-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka
Hamhuis-Johns

2018-19
Methot-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka
Heiskanen-Johns

2019-20
Heiskanen-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka
Bayreuther/Heatherington-Johns

Next year, based on performance from game to game, I think you could see the Lindell-Honka and Hamhuis-Johns pairs rotate as far as which gets used more.

I could also see Honka outplaying Klingberg, but that's not a safe assumption yet. I'm really excited about our Nordic defense for the future. The future as a whole looks really bright on the back-end.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Helluva trade you guys :handclap:

As an Ottawa fan, I think a lot of your are underestimating Methot. You're going to love what he brings. A lot of us are upset because it's very unlikely we didn't offer more to keep him. Weird trade which you certainly won.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
You and the coach will love Methot. He's fast and big in his own zone. He'll defend Klingberg after whistles if need be. The criticism of Methot is that he has no creativity in the offensive zone.

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
You and the coach will love Methot. He's fast and big in his own zone. He'll defend Klingberg after whistles if need be. The criticism of Methot is that he has no creativity in the offensive zone.

We could stand to have a few guys who don't bother being creative ;)

Loved watching him in Ottawa and was absolutely worth the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->