Confirmed with Link: VGK acquire Martinez for 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd from LAK

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Doubt that, I'd be ok with Schuldt. He's a hobey baker finalist and voted best defensive dman in the NCAA so he should carry good value.

Schuldt is supposed to have offensive upside, as well. I'd be fine with Schuldt, Cotter/Jones/Deliberatore and a 2nd but I want to keep our 1sts.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Blackhawks would have seen the Wolves quite a bit this year.
However, in an interview today Foley specifically mentioned how he liked not giving up a prospect. I would imagine they want a strong AHL team next year with lots of good young exciting players.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say Morozov/Dorofeyev would be on the table.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The Blackhawks would have seen the Wolves quite a bit this year.
However, in an interview today Foley specifically mentioned how he liked not giving up a prospect. I would imagine they want a strong AHL team next year with lots of good young exciting players.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say Morozov/Dorofeyev would be on the table.

Booooo!!!!! Keep our Russians now. Morozov seems the type of player they love, what Eakin is supposed to be at 3C.

I didn't realize Gustafsson is a UFA? And who else would be interested in an offensive LHD that couldn't be re-signed by any contending team? And the Hawks don't want to re-sign him either so they have to trade him.

That's a 3rd and possibly Schuldt/Deliberatore.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
LOL at this. Holden is basically keeping the seat warm. His stats are good BECAUSE he was paired with Theo. Now Shea can move to his natural side and pair with Alec.

Martinez is a LHD also. And Holden has played the best with Theodore, even above McNabb. Theodore is definitely the reason it is top five in the league or whatever but Holden is a part of it. I don't question why it works, I just think we should stick with it while it does.

Reactions: GKG18

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
LOL at this. Holden is basically keeping the seat warm. His stats are good BECAUSE he was paired with Theo. Now Shea can move to his natural side and pair with Alec.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Holden gets moved out to bring in Gus.
A team like CBJ looking for a cheaper rental might be interested. They were looking at Martinez too but didn't like the price. Jarmo is familiar with him.
Getting an asset for Holden (who played a ton vs Washington the other night btw) would take the sting off trading for Martinez and Gustafsson.

Or Philly if they have the cap space. Vignault liked him in NY.

Or another blue team...

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Martinez should be a pretty massive upgrade on any of Merrill, Holden, or Engelland. Fair price because of the extra year. Could have done a lot worse

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
We're a bit late trading with LA, Leipsic isn't with them anymore :sarcasm::laugh::laugh:

Hopefully Martinez is a biggest enough improvement, It's not like you could get much worse than our bottom 3 though. :laugh:

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Martinez knows he can be traded by Kings with deadline approaching

"He's a very good shot-blocker," Kings defenseman Drew Doughty said. "Good skater, gets his shots through from the point. A good little [wrist shot] on him. He can hammer one-timers, too, actually. Good defensively. The game's kind of going a different direction [with] offensive D-men, so [Alec's] a good two-way defenseman that's going to make any team better. He's a professional as well, and a good person."

(coming from Doughty so take it with a grain of salt ;) )
I am pretty OK with the Martinez trade all in all. The most important thing was that we kept our prospects. Two second round picks is a solid price I think. And what Doughty said above, I can confirm that because...

... I saw Martinez live already almost eight years ago when he played in TPS Turku during the lockout 2012 and now he is part of the Vegas Golden Knights which is crazy to think about. Accurate date was first of the November 2012 when TPS hosted Kärpät Oulu and final result was 1-0 on the overtime. The game-winning goal was scored by of course Alec Martinez and just like Doughty said, Martinez got his shot through from the point to the top right corner! I really do remember that goal very well because I sat next to the blue line where Martinez scored his goal. Also his calmness with the puck under the pressure on the blue line made an huge impact to me at that time. You can watch the GWG from this one-minute video:

And of course Martinez's only goal on this season was a one-timer from the point to the top right corner when Subban let in a soft goal a month ago in T-Mobile Arena so I look forward that how many goals Martinez will score during the rest of the season from the point just under the cross bar which seems to be his favourite place to shoot. :)

Reactions: Osprey

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Martinez is a LHD also. And Holden has played the best with Theodore, even above McNabb. Theodore is definitely the reason it is top five in the league or whatever but Holden is a part of it. I don't question why it works, I just think we should stick with it while it does.
As it turns out, you were right! They stuck with it and it worked.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I always liked the idea of acquiring Martinez. He's been an unsung commodity for a long time and one of the few LA kings I had a quiet respect for as a big fan of defensive play out of defensemen (I begrudgingly respect Doughty but he's such an asshat that the respect is very minimal). I didn't like the cost given what Scandella's price was and I'm still not crazy about the cavalier dumping of assets.

But I'm really really happy to see he's thriving in a system that actually works. I equate his LA performance the last two years the way you might look at a guy like Hampus Lindholm in Anaheim. Lindholm is a fantastic stay at home defensive talent but you wouldn't know it looking at his numbers and the team's analytics. Even a defensive phenom can't sustain a broken system and a group of forwards that are incompetent in defensive assistance and I think that's a big part of what's plaguing LA and Anaheim. In Vegas' system, Martinez's abilities have the proper chance to contribute.

What's surprising me is his consistent offensive contribution. Even in the golden days for LA, Martinez was never much of an offensive weapon. Cup winning goal aside.

Long story short, happy he's with the team. Going into the deadline I greatly preferred an unremarkable offensive talent relative to defensive strength as an add to our blueline as opposed to some puck moving defensive liablity (Gustafsson) so I'm really pleased that that seemed to be McCrimmon's philosophy.

Reactions: Knightmare

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I didn't like the cost given what Scandella's price was and I'm still not crazy about the cavalier dumping of assets.

Scandella went for a 2nd and 4th with 2 million retained and is a UFA at the end of the season. Martinez is still signed for next year and means the team doesn't have to go after another defenseman in free agency this off season

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Scandella went for a 2nd and 4th with 2 million retained and is a UFA at the end of the season. Martinez is still signed for next year and means the team doesn't have to go after another defenseman in free agency this off season
I didn't think the difference in their contract situation was a second round pick and no retention.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
AM has been fun to watch. I think his contribution to team success has been well worth two second rounders so far.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
AM has been fun to watch. I think his contribution to team success has been well worth two second rounders so far.

They are also very likely to be a 53-62 this season and next season, so pretty late 2nds. Valuable but Martinez is signed another season and I think they extend him further over the summer.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think St. Louis vastly overpayed for Scandella!
To each their own. Either way you're fixating on the wrong part of my post. I can lament picks we're not getting back and nothing is gonna change, but in the meantime I'm very happy with Martinez so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad