Andrei Vasilevskiy's insane season

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I love your "- .950 stellar WJC u20 performance" .
He played against weaker opponents in 2013

Russia won the Bronze Medal that year.

Preliminary 3 wins - 1 Loss
13 GF - 7 GA

1. Russia 3-2 Slovakia OT (Vasilevsky)
  2. Russia 2-1 USA (Makarov)
  3. Russia 7-0 Germany (Vasilevsky)
  4. Russia 1-4 Canada (Makarov)

Playoffs
  1. Russia 4-3 Switzerland (Shootout) (Vasilevsky)
  2. Russia 2-3 Sweden (Shootout) (Vasilevsky)
  3. Bronze Medal Russia 6-5 Canada (OT) (Makarov)

In preliminary,
  • Slovakia and Germany did not made it to the playoffs
  • Switzerland had 1 win (vs lativia) and 3 OTL
  • Sweden was 1st with 4 wins.

Makarov played games (not bolded)
Vasilevsky played bolded games

You should refer to his 2014 U20 performance. He was goalie #1 and managed to win the bronze

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Vasya may have nice stats, but I would say it because of the team. His rebound control and ability to make a glove save are just not good enough.

You have the worst takes. First - every single fan complains about their goalies "glove hand" to the point where it's memetic. Fact is, every goalie is vulnerable on the glove side - that's where goals are scored in this league.

And just because his rebound control needs work doesn't mean he isn't spectacular. Not to say our D hasn't been good (it has been), but Vasi has been a huge part of our success.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
of the 4 main goaltender categories on NHL.com
As a starter
#1 in GAA
#1 in Save Percentage
#1 in Wins
#2 in Shutouts, 1 behind leader

defended this dud when people said losing Bishop was a big loss to Tampa's cup aspirations, yeah right

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
His save percentage is benefiting a lot from poor opponent shot quality. At 5 on 5 this year, minimum 1000 minutes played (17 goalies qualify so far), he has faced:
5th most low danger shots against
3rd fewest high danger shots against

He's good this year, but not on the level of Bobrovsky, Quick, Gibson...

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
His save percentage is benefiting a lot from poor opponent shot quality. At 5 on 5 this year, minimum 1000 minutes played (17 goalies qualify so far), he has faced:
5th most low danger shots against
3rd fewest high danger shots against

He's good this year, but not on the level of Bobrovsky, Quick, Gibson...

it's good to see the past arguments against Quick being used against Vasilevskiy

except this is with .933 and not .915

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Vaz has been good, but the Vezina isn't just handed out to the top team in the league.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Vaz has been good, but the Vezina isn't just handed out to the top team in the league.

356bc6ba76f681ac44343e9a564565ac.png

It was to Holtby, but usually it goes to the save % leader which in this case Vasilevskiy also has

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
it's good to see the past arguments against Quick being used against Vasilevskiy

except this is with .933 and not .915

Bobrovsky has an incrementally higher save percentage than Vasilevskiy despite facing ~35% more high danger shots against and 5% fewer low danger shots against in roughly the same ice time at all strengths. The median NHL goalie is 8 times more likely to give up a goal on a high danger shot than a low danger shot. Quick's shot quality is far trickier than Vasilevskiy's too.

He shouldn't be in Vezina contention.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
For any of you Russian fans, has Vasi surpassed Bob as the best Russian player in the NHL?

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Our Russian support hasn't been the same since Nesterov was traded.
Nothing wrong with "your" Russian support. This season there are much more Russian fans cheering for Tampa. Since Sergachev was traded, Bolts became the most Russian team in NHL.

HFboard is simply a weird place. People here are watching the best player in the history of hockey and call him just a best goalscorer. While at the same time a young goalkeeper, who are clearly is still learning and doing a plenty of rookie mistakes is somehow a Vesina finalist, just because he is playing for the really good and hot team.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Nothing wrong with "your" Russian support. This season there are much more Russian fans cheering for Tampa. Since Sergachev was traded, Bolts became the most Russian team in NHL.
I worded that badly. I meant that the Russians in Tampa haven't had nearly as much impact after that.

... which was a joke if it's not clear enough.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Vasi isn't even the best Russian player on his own team...

lol I don't think it's fair to compare one of the league's best young goaltender with a hall of fame, generational and soon to be hart winner in Kucherov

source:

HFboard is simply a weird place. People here are watching the best player in the history of hockey and call him just a best goalscorer. While at the same time a young goalkeeper, who are clearly is still learning and doing a plenty of rookie mistakes is somehow a Vesina finalist, just because he is playing for the really good and hot team.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

You have the worst takes. First - every single fan complains about their goalies "glove hand" to the point where it's memetic. Fact is, every goalie is vulnerable on the glove side - that's where goals are scored in this league.

And just because his rebound control needs work doesn't mean he isn't spectacular. Not to say our D hasn't been good (it has been), but Vasi has been a huge part of our success.

His glove hand was a weak spot last year. It is much improved this year. He was good to get burned high glove side every game last season. We don’t see that this season. Kid looks outstanding.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Vasi is a huge part of Tampa's success.. he allows the team to be the type of team that doesn't have to outplay you to beat you. I've seen a dozen Tampa games this year, and i can't remember a single bad goal. Not one.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Vasi is a huge part of Tampa's success.. he allows the team to be the type of team that doesn't have to outplay you to beat you. I've seen a dozen Tampa games this year, and i can't remember a single bad goal. Not one.
He had a pretty bad game for his standards against the Jets and followed it with a shutout against the Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->