Andrei Vasilevskiy's insane season

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You can make a case for anyone (starters) in the top of the league statswise, what makes Vasilevskiy better than the others.

Personally I rather choose one of the usual suspects like Bobrovsky, Quick, Luongo etc. before Vasilevskiy.

Nobody cares about WC Gold or being a 1st round pick. Career % in the NHL is far more important.

Last edited:
Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
You can make a case for anyone in the top of the league statswise, what makes Vasilevskiy better than the others.

It's a question to ask because he hasn't been mentioned like Bobrovsky, Price and Holtby.

What he's got currently is
pedigree (as do all the others)
leads or tied in 3/4 stat category that voters look at (based off the fact that nearly all winners are tops amongst them)

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
TBF Budaj has only played like 3 games. We're riding Vasi hard right now.

Exactly

if you look at past winners they've always got at least one of the following

- low GAA
- high save %
- high starts (carry workload)
- wins

Vasilevskiy leads 2 and tied in 1 (starts). He's only behind Quick (2.20) and Bobrovsky (2.11) in GAA with 2.21

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I feel like he's been mentioned a decent amount from what I've seen. Its hard to ignore what he's done this season. As good as Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman are, the team has been riding him hard and he's arguably just as valuable if not moreso. The Vezina is one of the few awards where an established reputation doesn't seem to matter as much, and I think he, Bob and Quick are the early front-runners. Crawford too if he comes back quickly. Still lots of hockey though

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I feel like he's been mentioned a decent amount from what I've seen. Its hard to ignore what he's done this season. As good as Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman are, the team has been riding him hard and he's arguably just as valuable if not moreso. The Vezina is one of the few awards where an established reputation doesn't seem to matter as much, and I think he, Bob and Quick are the early front-runners. Crawford too if he comes back quickly. Still lots of hockey though

Where has he been mentioned for Vezina talks? Care to provide sources, genuinely curious

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Where has he been mentioned for Vezina talks? Care to provide sources, genuinely curious
Vasilevskiy early favorite for Vezina Trophy

Edit: He flies under the radar, so I want to take a second to gush about this kid. He was always super athletic. He reminds me a lot of Quick or Fleury - he seems like he has go go gadget legs when he needs to make a save, his leg just keeps stretching as far as it needs to.

But this was the book on him to begin with. He has grown so much as a goaltender, in that now, most of the time he looks boring. He's calm in net now. He tracks the puck so well. He's still athletic, but he lets the puck come to him and saves the athleticism for breakdowns instead of having 4 highlight-type saves a night. He's improved so much positionally...

Still some issues with rebounds and he needs to be a bit better at swallowing pucks, but he is something special.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Vezinalevskiy? I prefer Trashilevskiy, Vasilolskiy, Vasievelevskiy among other names. :sarcasm:
Dude, we get it, you hate Vasi. You have been the biggest hater of him on hf Tampa for a while. Give him a break. This team still has some of the effort problems that plagued it last season but the difference is that now we have Vasi in net to bail us out. He is a really good goalie.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
We should give him some rest. Bishop never had a healthy playoff run with us and I don't want to see our starter hurt again.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's only 23 (2012 drafted like Matt Murray), which is very young for a starting goaltender. And he's currently leading the league in save %, and wins. Since last season I believe amongst all young goaltenders that he's the best, or at least tied with Matt Murray.

He's also got the pedigree of an elite goaltender
- .950 stellar WJC u20 performance
- drafted in the 1st round
- World Championships gold medal
- World Championships best goaltender
- consistent career elite #s
d90b161ee2215862ee951392a9fb15cf.png

Do you see him beating out someone like Bobrovsky and winning the award?

Oh yeah, Peter Budaj's #s in Tampa is .867 and 3.75 GAA (almost 2 more). Far cry from his LAK .917 and 2.12 GAA
He could win it

But, if we are talking about elite young goalies, John Gibson deserves to be in the discussion just as much. Gibson was only drafted a year earlier, and over the time frame given (I would assume you mean the start of the 2016/17 season), he has a better save percentage, but on top of that is beating his expected save percentage by a bigger margin than Vasilvesky is. Gibson expected save percentage is 90.76% but he posted a 92.29% while Vasilvesky has an expected one of 92.06 but is posting one of 92.19%. He beats him in all catergories of broken down save percentage of low-danger, medium-danger and high-danger. This isn't to knock Vasilvesky. Over that time frame, Gibson arguably grades out as the 2nd best goalie in hockey behind Bobrovsky, if you look at stats such as Goals Saved Against Average.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He could win it

But, if we are talking about elite young goalies, John Gibson deserves to be in the discussion just as much. Gibson was only drafted a year earlier, and over the time frame given (I would assume you mean the start of the 2016/17 season), he has a better save percentage, but on top of that is beating his expected save percentage by a bigger margin than Vasilvesky is. Gibson expected save percentage is 90.76% but he posted a 92.29% while Vasilvesky has an expected one of 92.06 but is posting one of 92.19%. He beats him in all catergories of broken down save percentage of low-danger, medium-danger and high-danger. This isn't to knock Vasilvesky. Over that time frame, Gibson arguably grades out as the 2nd best goalie in hockey behind Bobrovsky, if you look at stats such as Goals Saved Against Average.

Vasilevskiy Murray Hellebuyck Gibson are the premier 4 for the young guys

Gibson is playing great right now, I'll leave it at that

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He's only 23 (2012 drafted like Matt Murray), which is very young for a starting goaltender. And he's currently leading the league in save %, and wins. Since last season I believe amongst all young goaltenders that he's the best, or at least tied with Matt Murray.

He's also got the pedigree of an elite goaltender
- .950 stellar WJC u20 performance
- drafted in the 1st round
- World Championships gold medal
- World Championships best goaltender
- consistent career elite #s
d90b161ee2215862ee951392a9fb15cf.png

Oh yeah, Peter Budaj's #s in Tampa is .867 and 3.75 GAA (almost 2 more). Far cry from his LAK .917 and 2.12 GAA

I don't know if he'll do it this year (it's early) but he'll win at least one in his career IMO.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Nothing in particular. I haven't really read any quarter season awards. Just listening to radio hosts when they've brought up the best goalies in the league this year, he's often been mentioned or in highlights I've seen him described as Vezina candidate or Vezina quality this year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Vasi's been great, the other 2 goalies that have stood out to me when we've played them this season is Bobrovsky who's the best goalie in the league and Gibson who's keeping Anaheim float.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I'd be shocked if either/or win tbh.

I think Vasilevsky won't stay as consistent all year, and his statline likely dips.
I'd also be extremely shocked if Bob can maintain himself at the top of stats in 2 back to back years. They might both be finalists (or 1 of 2), but i don't expect them to win.

I think someone like Price (with an epic comeback) - or some other solid #1 goalie wins this year (Quick, Crawford, etc)

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Vasya may have nice stats, but I would say it because of the team. His rebound control and ability to make a glove save are just not good enough.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Vasya may have nice stats, but I would say it because of the team. His rebound control and ability to make a glove save are just not good enough.

Why doesn't Budaj have nice stats? Does he play for a different team?

Why didn't Lindback post the same numbers Bishop did?????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->