Very sad news for Czech hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle*

Nice of someone to mention that he was a great player.

Hlinka was recently named the Best Czech Player of all time; that's how good he was on the ice.

Other highlights:

Czech player of the Year in 1978
Named MVP of the Czech team at the 1976 Canada Cup
Played in the NHL for two seasons after his best days were behind him, and still averaged close to a point per game with Vancouver.

I remember how good he was in 1976 during the Olympics and Canada Cup; big and skilled, he was at the peak of his game at the time.

Very devastating indeed. Few if any Czech residents have more world-wide hockey ties - a very sad day in the Czech Republic I'm sure.

Sort of eerie that two well-known Olympic Gold medal winning coaches have died in car accidents in the past year. Tikhonov better start taking the train.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazz

My condolances to Ivan Hlinka's family as well...

I remember when he first joined the Vancouver Canucks in the early 80s and played a couple of years here. He was popular here in part because he set the Canucks record for points by a rookie (later to be tied by Pavel Bure), and played on the team that went to the Stanley Cup Final in 1982.

In fact, both of Vancouver's Sports radio stations devoted considerable time to this story, with interviews with former Canuck Hlinka teammates (including Jiri Bubla & Tiger Williams) and even old interviews from Hlinka dug up from the archives.. Vancouver shares in your mourning. It is a sad day for hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad