Very interesting articles. Might shed some light on why JJ was left off US WJC team

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
boy, that nailed it...and I'm a huge fan\follower of USA hockey and the NTDP. They really need to strip down and get things in order. This US could put out a much better team capable of much more if they'd just do it the right way.

Sticky*

Oh geez. Im sorry for posting what some fans might deem important information.

Last edited by a moderator:

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
These guys didn't go out and even *watch* Dustin Byfuglien play... hell they didn't even give him a chance to come to camp and earn a spot.

Now you look at Bubba's GP, then look at his point production. Then realize that he would also be the most physical player that the USA could throw out there on the blueline.

Nobody is suggesting that Byfuglien isn't a streaky player. But a motivated Byfuglien is as good as anyone on the US team..

-fullmetalninja

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Funkymoses said:
This article came out right after the WJC and was posted on ESPN.com. Why are you linking to it months later on some half-baked site?

Probably because many of us hadn't seen it.

Thanks for posting the article - it was an interesting read.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Funkymoses said:
This article came out right after the WJC and was posted on ESPN.com. Why are you linking to it months later on some half-baked site?

I thought this article had some additional details but I could be wrong. Anyway, it highlights some serious issues that need to be resolved with USA Hockey as an organization. I hope the most serious (such as stupid politics) are in some way resolved by next year. IMO, the U.S. would have been a shoo-in for the silver with better organization, including the selection process. :banghead:

CH Wizard

Taking Brian Lee instead of Jack Johnson (for the U-20 team) , was a JOKE!!!

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
Us Team

Team U.S.A passed on Ryan at a time when he was third in the O.H.L in scoring, third in plus/minus in the league. There was 1 reason: he turned the program down the year before.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I enjoyed the article - especially since all we get now are business of hockey type articles. Thanks for posting the link.

I missed it before but that was an informative article on some of the strange selections the US team made.

:handclap:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Rounder said:
Team U.S.A passed on Ryan at a time when he was third in the O.H.L in scoring, third in plus/minus in the league. There was 1 reason: he turned the program down the year before.

Flawed thinking on your part. Danny Fritsche turned down the program too, but he was there, and O'Sullivan left early, he was there. Ryan is young, and they already had Kessel.

Ryan will be there next year.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
fullmetalninja said:
These guys didn't go out and even *watch* Dustin Byfuglien play... hell they didn't even give him a chance to come to camp and earn a spot.

Now you look at Bubba's GP, then look at his point production. Then realize that he would also be the most physical player that the USA could throw out there on the blueline.

Nobody is suggesting that Byfuglien isn't a streaky player. But a motivated Byfuglien is as good as anyone on the US team..

-fullmetalninja

Bubba has wicked hands...has been working hard at losing weight...and can play a devestating physical game. So shocked and impressed when I saw him with PG this year.. he should have been given a shot if he was young enough...he would have turned some heads.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
not only was this printed at the time - we had a thread here talking about it. it still is a good article, and valid. usa hockey is at a pretty important crossroad - they need to get new blood in there and change things around. i know at least 3 good people who have been fired from there for no apparent reason, ive worked witha number of their programs and i can tell you they have good people working for them - but they lack direction.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
It's one thing to turn down the program and it is another to sign the contract, commit to them, and then back out which is what a number of 87's did that year. That calls into question their character. I'm not sure if Bobby Ryan was one of them but those kids will never see spots on the World Junior rosted.
Mobey said:
Flawed thinking on your part. Danny Fritsche turned down the program too, but he was there, and O'Sullivan left early, he was there. Ryan is young, and they already had Kessel.

Ryan will be there next year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
bigd said:
It's one thing to turn down the program and it is another to sign the contract, commit to them, and then back out which is what a number of 87's did that year. That calls into question their character. I'm not sure if Bobby Ryan was one of them but those kids will never see spots on the World Junior rosted.

If Robbie Schremp can get on the team after the stunt he pulled than anyone can.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Smyth2York said:
But barely got any ice time. The coach didn't even want him on the team. For that reason Schremp barely got any ice time during the tournament.

He got enough to strut his stuff, especially as the tournament progressed. Ryan WILL be on the team next year. I guarantee it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad