Versus Nets NHL Rights Extension-through 2011

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
omg.......:cry: :banghead: :madfire:

The only saving grace that I can see is that if the additional three year extension isn't exclusive, i.e. leaving room for an additional network like ESPN/USA/Spike etc. to also telecast hockey. If not, brutal........:pullhair:
I think that point is key. The NHL is just ensuring they have a safety net while trying to make the big jump up.

Jazz

Why do you have to worry? You live in Canada don't you?
Have you not noticed my continual defense of the Southern (or non-traditional) markets and all my comments on the lack of marketing....?

In other words, I care about the growth of the game (both in the US and internationally).

It is just that the growth is not being handled properly....(like it appears with this apparent cash-grab....)

ShooterMcGavin*

As a Canadian, I can't sit here and moan and I really don't see the big deal. Even I have VS's and I think it's a good station. TSN usually plays games every Tuesday/Wednesday Sportsnet there's usually one or two games a week, if I remember too I'll check out VS's to see whats going on there and then Saturday night I get HNIC. Oh got to love Canadian TV. :handclap:

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
The Big 10's football contract with ESPN expires after the 2007 season, I believe. Look for ESPN to retain or for the Big 10 to make a jump to Fox.

Actually, the Big 10 is going to have it's own channel, the Big 10 Channel, next year. At least that is what I have seen being advertised.

Can anyone confirm? From what I've seen, there will be Big 10 football games broadcast on the Big 10 Channel.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
You know what I don't get around here?

People make a statement, and then, when someone refutes it with a fact, rather than simply owning up to their incorrect initial statement like a man, they go off on a side point that ignores the fact that they have been proven incorrect. To wit:

Poster 1: Vs is a mere hunting and fishing channel.
Poster 2: Incorrect; Vs broadcasts college basketball.
Poster 1: The college basketball sucks.

Do you not see that the third statement does not refute the second statement? I mean, not at ALL??? Nor does it render the initial statement correct, which has been decisively proven incorrect by the second statement. Do you not see that?

I would just love for once if, when someone makes a half-cocked statement that is shown to be half-cocked, that person would simply stand up and say "Yes, I overstated the point. I was incorrect in making such a statement."
But, college basketball does suck.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well the college basketball and college football package they have, doesn't exactly have people running to VS.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Bogut is not that good. Anywaysm sure it's college basketball but it isn't like the ACC.
Bogut is actually a valuable player, sure it's the Bucks and he doesn't pour in the points like other 1/1s have in the past. But, he probably won't be a bust like others from recent drafts (Wizards draft picks come to mind), should be a consistantly sub-dominant player, and came out of a draft that was perceived to be the equivalent of the Patrik Stefan (1999 NHL) entry draft.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Can everyone please shut up about ESPN?

Ya know, if VS could swing a deal to become a BASIC CABLE channel, I WOULD forget about ESPN.

I'm not an ESPN fan, I'm a hockey fan.

The NHL (and VS) is shutting me out, and by reading many opinions, others aren't too happy about it either.

2011? W T F ?

Malice430

Apr 25, 2006
Lake Forest, Ca
:cry: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!
bettman should start taking the short bus to the office. just another way to make sure that womens college badminton get higher ratings on tv than the NHL. :banghead: :madfire: :cry: :dunno:

GlennTheFrog

Dec 5, 2005
South Hills
Ya know, if VS could swing a deal to become a BASIC CABLE channel, I WOULD forget about ESPN.

I'm not an ESPN fan, I'm a hockey fan.

The NHL (and VS) is shutting me out, and by reading many opinions, others aren't too happy about it either.

2011? W T F ?

There's the big thing in all this. Versus needs to get itself out of channel 60-something and jam itself right down next to ESPN on the lower dial. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but it is, especially for the casual viewer who may stop at channel 27 to watch bowling or cards instead of making it all the way to the end of the list. I get the feeling that lots of people don't know hockey is on Versus at all or even that Versus exists, but move the channel down to where it can do damage, and people will know (whether they stay and watch is another thing).

Another thing, maybe this goes hand and hand with it moving and competing with the ESPNs, but the network still needs that major overhaul to true sports network. Hire anchors, hire reporters, put up your own sports center, continue to revamp your programing, and please hire web designers. Look at ESPN's web page, then look at Versus', notice anything?

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
what would the NHL being back on ESPN do for the sport? they werent raking in the rating before, why would that change now?

The NHL is a lot faster paced than it was during it's last go round on ESPN. I'm willing to bet that most americans don't realize that the NHL has made improvements to the on-ice product. Once word gets out from casual sports fans that the league is much improved, the people MAY come back.

GSC2k2*

The NHL is a lot faster paced than it was during it's last go round on ESPN. I'm willing to bet that most americans don't realize that the NHL has made improvements to the on-ice product. Once word gets out from casual sports fans that the league is much improved, the people MAY come back.
What do you mean by "come back"??

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this means no hockey in South America until at least 2011!! Well there is always the internet.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Actually, the Big 10 is going to have it's own channel, the Big 10 Channel, next year. At least that is what I have seen being advertised.

Can anyone confirm? From what I've seen, there will be Big 10 football games broadcast on the Big 10 Channel.

Big Ten Network, coming in August.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
if no one was willing to watch last year's new nhl epitomizing finals on nbc, in primetime, outside of us, who's to say moving to espn will change it?

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
if no one was willing to watch last year's new nhl epitomizing finals on nbc, in primetime, outside of us, who's to say moving to espn will change it?

If the playoffs were covered througout on ESPN, there should be better overall awareness of the NHL in general. I think that would translate to more people being interested and wanting to watch the finals on NBC, instead of nobody getting Versus and all of a sudden have playoff hockey limited to the weekends for most.

Btw, I'm surprised there has been so little buzz of any sort regarding the Versus extension. We haven't really heard any columnists weigh in or provide details (exclusivity) of this new deal...:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->