Versus Nets NHL Rights Extension-through 2011

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Comcast’s Versus network will televise national NHL games through 2011 after exercising an option to air the 2007-08 season and picking up the rights to three additional campaigns.

“We’ll definitely have the third season, and we’ll have [the NHL] for six years,†said Versus president Gavin Harvey, who declined to discuss deal terms. “We’re looking forward to season three on Versus.â€

Sources close to Versus said the 71 million-subscriber network exercised a $72.5 million option for the 2007-08 campaign and then extended its pact for three more seasons at an undisclosed price

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6410619.html

st5801

Jan 31, 2005
Wow...didn't expect that.

Couldn't they still complete a deal with ESPN as well, though?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Unless Versus totally reinvents itself with quality programming and a much larger market (unlikely at best, probably impossible considering how expensive most sports are to attain broadcast rights to), this is very bad news for hockey in the US.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Great news.

The number one thought casual sports fans have of the NHL is that it is a niche sport. So what does the NHL do? Firm up that impression by slapping its games on a channel DEVOTED to niche sports.

Nice work, Gary.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
WHY would Versus want to over-extend itself into becoming another ESPN, i THINK IT HAS a hard enough time butting heads w/ ESPN.

The NHL wasn't getting its exposure once Disney brought in the NBA, why would we want to repeat that episode.

SpokaneShark

Jul 11, 2006
At Work
Hearing of this just ruined my day.

In all honesty I don't think it would be so much of a negative issue had OLN or VS. not been such tight wads in their relationship with providers. (In my case Dish).

If VS appeared on the Basic of Basic lineups then great! But being a Dish subscriber I am not going to upgrade my package to pay $80 a month or whatever it is just to subscribe to the hockey. This only punishes the already hockey fans into paying more money. It does nothing at all in "attracting" new fans.

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
:shakehead

Even the NHL knew to dump Sportschannel......

Well, what is done is done - now we have to hope for the channel to pick up something else.....

Is anything from the NFL/MLB/NCAA up for grabs in the next couple of years?

Why do you have to worry? You live in Canada don't you?

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
Can everyone please shut up about ESPN? It's not like you're pointing out the existence of the most popular sports network to the NHL suits who are saying "OH YEAH, YOU'RE RIGHT. I FORGOT."

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
No surprise that Versus wants to re-up, despite the low ratings the NHL games are still one of it's highest rated programs. I'm a bit surprise the NHL didn't exersize it's way out of the deal to at least restructure it however Comcast as owners of the Flyers does have an inside track.

I'm sure there are some NCAA packages coming up, if the Big 10 switches to FOX that might allow VS to come in and get the cable rights.

carlyle25

Jan 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This thread, coupled with the other here about the All-Star game ratings being down 76%....

Hmmm....possibly a connection? :dunno:

Let's see if any of the NHL 'suits' can put two and two together!

I'm just thankful I have Center Ice. At least until the playoffs.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Would ANYONE rather see the NHL be shuttled again by Versus the way ESPN TREATED the NHL:shakehead

Yes I wouldn't mind watching hockey if I can ACTUALLY watch it! See I don't get versus, also I don't care how well Versass covers hockey, this is NOT benefitting the NHL.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I dont know what to think because I have no idea what versus plans are. They NEED to get into more homes obviously, and they also NEED to re-vamp their programming. If theyre actually committed to these two things (I have no idea if they are) then I have no problems in it.

I know comcast has a stake in TSN, which is why i dont understand why versus just cant steal some of their programming. I remember during playoffs Versus just took the NHL networks highlight and game re-cap show and aired it, why not do that EVERY night? I still find it a shame they don't even have an "NHL2night" type of show yet.

I think them adding the NLL is sweet though, its pretty cool to watch.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Sigh. I get to look forward to another 4 years of not being able to see any team other then the Penguins play. How I miss being able to put on ESPN2 on Wednesday night and see a hockey game. I personally only know about 5 people that actually get Versus, and only 1 of them lives around me.

Last edited:

Artyukhin*

Well atleast 200,000 viewers in a country of 300 million are happy

go gary you go ,showcase the NHL

now if we could only get a expansion franchise in Mexico .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->