VERSUS Loses Out On MLB LCS Deal

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
I wish I could say that wasn't true :(

People think hockey can't work on a major network. Trust me, the ratings for hockey games on ESPN would probably be better that a ****ing dog show.

Its possible that the NHL did outdraw the Dog Show, I don't have the numbers handy right now. The nyumbers would've been very close. The reason USA airs the Dog show(and Tennis) is the ad rates they can charge becuase those events skew toward high income viewers.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
But do you think that a second (hopefully higher rate) network would accept not having the NHL exclusively?

But if both networks are showing games on different nights, will there be a conflict at all? For playoff games, maybe, but one will not be pulling 'hockey ratings' from the other.

People who watch hockeyare going to watch hockey, regardless of channel. USA (for example) won't be hurt if VS. has games on up against 'Monk'. Know what I mean?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
To post this again, for the 87,642nd time...

I think the NHL should stay with Versus. BUT I do think they need to find a second cable network. Bettman came from the NBA, he needs to think like the NBA. Basketball helped build TNT into the network it currently is. While building a brand a sports network, Versus could be "our TNT", having games on a couple nights a week, one double-header, and one 'game of the week' night.

The NHL could then also go with another network (ESPN, USA, F/X, Spike) for at least one other night of the week (Sunday nights?).

Add in NBC and live games on the NHL Network (when it goes Stateside), you'd have up to 5 nights a week of nationally televised games. I think that would fit the bill for all of us who can't afford the time/money for Center Ice.

Two cable networks also makes televising EVERY playoff game possible, w/o having to pay for Center Ice as well.

Just one man's opinion. :)

You bring up something I've been crying about for years. Second cable network. Perferably where they won't mind cross-promoting each other. I wish the NHL would go back to the Sunday Night package they used to do after football season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->