VERSUS Gets deal to air Pac-10/Big 12 Football

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
The person who mentioned the legendary Stanford-Cal game being on Holy ****, that legendary rivalry will be featured on VERSUS this season.

Revised Schedule

9/1 2:00 PM UVA vs. Wyoming
9/1 5:30 PM Arizona vs. BYU
9/8 6:30 PM BYU vs. UCLA
9/8 10:00 PM Wisconson vs. UNLV
9/15 1:30 PM Iowa vs. Iowa St.
9/15 5:00 PM UCLA vs. Utah
9/22 6:00 PM Arizona vs. California
9/29 TBA Big 12 Game
9/29 10:00 PM Cincinatti vs. San Diego St.
10/6 7:00 PM Stanford vs. USC
10/13 7:00 PM Washington vs. Arizona St.
10/18 8:00 PM Utah vs. TCU
10/20 TBA Big 12 Game
10/25 9:00 PM Air Force vs. New Mexico
10/27 TBA Big 12 Game
11/8 9:00 PM TCU vs. BYU
11/10 TBA Big 12 Game
12/1 7:00 PM Cal vs. Stanford

Good on VERSUS for landing games featuring USC and UCLA, maybe get VERSUS into some more of that LA area.

Last edited:

Golden Foppa

Nov 13, 2002
Boulder, CO
Visit site
Not a single Colorado State game? Sigh. I used to get to watch 4 or 5 of their games a year on ESPN because they always played with such a weird schedule (the kings of thursday night games). No one else in the conference was ever televised though. Now it's the opposite.

The CU-CSU game is nationally televised on Fox Sports Net September 1 (in the morning :shakehead).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I agree with you. But I'm a Wyoming fan.
But the funny thing is that in Wyoming VS is on very few basic cable packages.

Versus seems to be in very few places anywhere out west. Especially in the rocky mountains. My brother doesn't have it in western Colorado, it's not available in most of Wyoming or Montana. I know from a lot of fans complaints around here it isn't available everywhere in California...

Colorado State remains my favorite D1-A program, but I was accepted to both Colorado State and Wyoming so I hold a soft spot for a rival...

X0ssbar

Versus seems to be in very few places anywhere out west. Especially in the rocky mountains. My brother doesn't have it in western Colorado, it's not available in most of Wyoming or Montana. I know from a lot of fans complaints around here it isn't available everywhere in California...

..but that's what makes this move so good for Versus/Comcast. They know people are gonna raise a stink about not being able to get this channel to their providers and I see most giving in and adding it and bam, VS footprint and awareness continues to grow.

If they do a good job televising this package, like they have the NHL package, I can see a lot more sports properties becoming interested.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Now we wait and see what follows...

Does VS. hire football-specific talking heads? Or do Bill Clement, Jack Edwards et al get some new responsibilities??

If they add Pac-10 or Big XII b-ball, will a nightly hi-lite show be that far behind?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Now we wait and see what follows...

Does VS. hire football-specific talking heads? Or do Bill Clement, Jack Edwards et al get some new responsibilities??

If they add Pac-10 or Big XII b-ball, will a nightly hi-lite show be that far behind?

Well last year they didn't have their own studio show for Mountain West games however I think they will have their own now that they have the Big 12 and Pac-10 and are showing more than 5 games a year.

Brijd10

Jan 11, 2007
Washington, DC
This is good news for the NHL. This can only help Versus expand and get picked up by more cable companies and more importantly be carried more in restaurants and bars. Since college football seasons is also the beginning of the NHL season, people will see the ads for hockey games which will hopefully lead to increased ratings.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Why does Versus not have a highlight show ala Sportscenter?

I keep saying that Versus should model themselves after The Score here in Canada. Be like an all highlights show and slowly build up a repetoire (sp?) of various sports. And they (The Score) still show a lot of poker and Horse Racing, etc... Now after the years they have a LOT of coverage of the NCAA tournament along with Monday Night Raw. If they were to be an all highlight network then they could slowly build up a following to the point where they can really hang with the big boys cause imo, within the next 5 years The Score will begin to have a nice selection of NHL games allthough I'm not 100% if they've got that in the works allready.

And atleast if they have an all highlights type of network, it will gain them a lot of credibility rather than being known as the bull riding, etc network.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Well last year they didn't have their own studio show for Mountain West games however I think they will have their own now that they have the Big 12 and Pac-10 and are showing more than 5 games a year.

Exactly my point. The only problem is, who is out there, since ESPN televises 734 games a weekend?

CHiCaGoMiSSioN95

Jun 7, 2007
Mississauga, ON
This is a very nice pickup for Versus. Another building block and another sign these guys are in this for the long haul. Hopefully they get to televise some games from the marquee schools from these leagues.

Sat., Sep. 15 Iowa at Iowa State JT VERSUS <-- decent start.

Oh, I'm a Cyclone fan. I can't wait to see that one in Ames.

I think Bret Meyer is going to surprise a lot of people this year too, and I'm excited about the new coach.

Go Cyclones!

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
It would be nice if Versus increased their exposure on DirecTV. 608 is pretty far down the dial for a casual fan. And no, don't give me any guff about a person being too stupid to find it in this day and age. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the casual fan flipping by ESPN, seeing the 2002 World Series of Poker repeat and stumbling on Versus where hopefully he might watch an NHL game or, now, a college game. For their own good they need to get down in the 200's on DirecTV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad