GDT: Vegas vs Carolina

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
i slept through most of this game instead of watching it and i was happier for it

Last night was great. Kruger stuck his stick out and got a fluke rebound goal on an outlet pass. TVR collected a third or fourth rebound on a net-front scramble and absolutely lazered it (rather than the classic hCanes goalie-crest heat-seeker). Cam held strong in a shootout.

Things that literally never happen for the Canes all happened and they won.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
We won, yeey.
Please give more starts to Ward, he is playing better than Darling at this moment.
Kruger scored, wow, that`s the only way he can do something at offensive zone.
Peters is actually pissing me off really bad, some of his decisions are just mind-blowing. Some OT decisions are just bad- why would your force Faulk to play, he just turns puck over all the time. But even more angry I am about shootout - why would you put Slavin, Faulk and PDG as 3 of 4 players for us. I know PDG scored, I am fine with him but both Slavin and Faulk have been shit at offense for a long time and they just don`t have hands. Slavins attempt was just lazy, Faulk just shot because he has no idea what to do. It`s like Peters was trying to piss away extra point.
Faulk should not play 1st PP unit, give it to Hanifin, he is much better at this moment, I believe he could do more with our PP.
Our neutral zone defense needs work.

Speaking about individual players -
Slavin and Pesce were playing good hockey at start of the season, but then something happened (Pesce was injured for few games) and they have been a bit off since then. Both of them. They have to get back on their level what they showed last year/start of this season.
Faulk has been disaster all season long. He needs to sit for a game or two. (Probably will never happen)
I think Hanifin deserves more minutes, he is getting better at defensive side of game, and his offensive game is improving a lot.
TVR has been great for 3rd pairing.
Fleury has been doing decent, I know he has few mistakes, but he is playing his first year in NHL, and his play overall has been better than Faulk`s. I have no problem with him, I like him.
Turbo has been in a slump for few games, but I believe he will get back on track. Same goes for Staal.
I would like to see a bit more minutes for McGinn.
I will eat a crow and say this- Ryan has been decent, he is winning faceoffs and his play is fine lately. He is still small and weak, but I know nothing will change this season, and he is so far serviceable for us.
I don`t like that Peters is trying to play PDG way too often, Jooris IMO offers more for us. (He`s better player than him)

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Agree with everything above about Faulk. Hanifin definitely needs to be playing more than Faulk. He turned the puck over at least a dozen times....a few of them just on lazy plays, and half of them in our own end. He gave it up a few times in the OT period alone when possession is at its most important. Not sure whats wrong with the guy, but he's just been awful.

One bright spot, Rask has looked much better of late. he looked faster last night. Still think a Rask/Faulk trade would net something big and maybe flip the script for us.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Faulk should not play 1st PP unit, give it to Hanifin, he is much better at this moment, I believe he could do more with our PP.

I still can't for the life of me figure out why this has not been tried yet. Noah has been the far superior offensive threat all season, and his ability to make the passing play in the offensive zone seems near perfect for the type of game both TT and Seabass play. Keeping them separated at this point seems like a very intentional thing, but I can't figure out why.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
someone fix justin faulk please

shoot-the-horse-o.gif

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
was looking at some cam ward stats and came across something interesting to me at least. his 2010-2011 season was the 13th best season by a goaltender in the modern era according to the goalie point shares metric at hockey reference. he only finished 7th in vezina voting. by their metric he had several years early in his career that were top 10 or better.

Something I found interesting is that Ward's career stats (not including playoffs) are almost identical to or better than NYR's Mike Richter. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

The horsey took the longest time for me to load and I was worried if you were likening 'fixing' Faulk to having him gelded. And not in the meaning of giving him lots of geld.

Worried, because it was supposed to be my joke on fixing the team but I've been shying away from making it.

Still. One guy every Friday until morale improves would probably do the trick.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Fun fact, Philly had a 10 game losing streak and we're tied with them for last place in the division

That puts in perspective the fact that we may have life after that win, but are losing the battle slowly but surely. Playoffs is a pipe dream at this point unless they go on a significant run soon. 4-5 games might do it, depending on what other teams do around us. I don't have much confidence in that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->