Post-Game Talk: Vegas @ Nashvegas: The inaugural showdown

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Why the **** was PK in a shooter position.
He has NEVER been a goal scorer in his career. Laviolette do you know your players strengths?

I assume you're referring to the 5 on 3. The problem was there was no movement, and they were all too close to the defensive unit. Well from what I recall at least. It was basically like that 4 on 3 against Carolina in OT. I wonder if they even practise 4 on 3s on 5 on 3s. It doesn't really look like it.

Here's an example of Subban scoring on a 4 on 3, when he was in MTL, against Nashville:

That's a great example of puck movement, players switching positions to confuse the D, and using the whole zone, not just the slot area. Subban is the one scoring, but the other 3 Habs are just as important.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Looks like the Vegas twitter account person was being a dumbass and the Vegas media relations person had to issue an apology and retraction of the tweet (Vegas twitter account saying Nashville media members were cheering when the Preds scored, which didn't happen.)

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
1. Why would they tweet that?
2. Is it frowned upon for our announcers to do that anyway?
3. Why is it an issue?

Genuinely trying to understand here.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
what was the tweet or what happened?

Vegas twitter account said members of the Nashville media were cheering after a goal, Nashville media calls them out on it saying they didn't. Vegas media relations issues a retraction and apology while other members of the media say Nashville has some of the most professional writers in the league.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
That was probably our most complete 60 this season. Well, 55 to be exact. Their Subban was outstanding and their team isn’t all that bad.

Being down 2 goals, I’ll gladly take a point. Another one could’ve been had but not overly disappointed.

We are sooo bad 6 on 5. It’s just unbelievable.

Really good, entertaining hockey game, though.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
That was probably our most complete 60 this season. Well, 55 to be exact. Their Subban was outstanding and their team isn’t all that bad.

Being down 2 goals, I’ll gladly take a point. Another one could’ve been had but not overly disappointed.

We are sooo bad 6 on 5. It’s just unbelievable.

Really good, entertaining hockey game, though.

I don't know if it's just me, but I kinda like that the Preds try to go for the empty netter from their own zone. It just hasn't worked much recently. But personally, I hate when a player tries to clear the puck safely but misses and it ends up giving the other team a scoring chance (like the game against the Habs). And even when they manage to clear the puck safely, the other team can still re-enter the zone with speed and have a scoring chance. At least with icings, the defending team can regroup and get organized. And if you manage to score, well it's game over.

Reactions: myFialabot

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I assume you're referring to the 5 on 3. The problem was there was no movement, and they were all too close to the defensive unit. Well from what I recall at least. It was basically like that 4 on 3 against Carolina in OT. I wonder if they even practise 4 on 3s on 5 on 3s. It doesn't really look like it.

Here's an example of Subban scoring on a 4 on 3, when he was in MTL, against Nashville:

That's a great example of puck movement, players switching positions to confuse the D, and using the whole zone, not just the slot area. Subban is the one scoring, but the other 3 Habs are just as important.

I was referring to the last play of regulation. They put Subban into the place to score from a direct faceoff win although they have had NO success for a while of Subban shooting from the point.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not all that bad? I'd say they're really good. They're going to make the playoffs, in their very first year.

It's hard not to be bitter. They didn't have to pay their dues and struggle to build a team.

I believe when I see it. They have a nice top-6 offense, some hungry depth guys and Fleury in net. Their defensive depth probably will get in their way, though. Imo, they're gonna fall out after half the season is done.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I don't know if it's just me, but I kinda like that the Preds try to go for the empty netter from their own zone. It just hasn't worked much recently. But personally, I hate when a player tries to clear the puck safely but misses and it ends up giving the other team a scoring chance (like the game against the Habs). And even when they manage to clear the puck safely, the other team can still re-enter the zone with speed and have a scoring chance. At least with icings, the defending team can regroup and get organized. And if you manage to score, well it's game over.

It's just you

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Not all that bad? I'd say they're really good. They're going to make the playoffs, in their very first year.

It's hard not to be bitter. They didn't have to pay their dues and struggle to build a team.

That's what a half billion dollar expansion fee (vs what, 70 million for the Preds) will get you, in addition to being the only expansion team not one of 4

Aardvarksson

gif spammer
Apr 21, 2017
Nashville
Our guys were gassed by the end of the third period. Couldn't buy a clear. Too bad. They'll get another win streak going here though.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

TBH outside of Neal they really aren't all that good. The have a good system and they are playing it and playing it hard, which is why they are winning in the regular season. The problem for them is once they hit the end of the year and the playoffs when the good teams hit that next gear, I'm not sure they are going to have one to catch because they are already in it.

Frankly that system is probably why they have been able to continue winning even wth the goalie circus they have going on. It also helps that they caught the Pacific in a down year outside of LA, and I think outside of the goalie they have been pretty healthy, which we all know can make a pretty big difference.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
It's just you

I guess so. I just think the possible reward is greater than the risk, in that case. Sometimes it will backfire, but playing safe won't work all the time either. An icing is not the end of the world (unless the defending players are completely exhausted... but they at least get 30ish seconds to regroup).

The Knights didn't score after an icing last night, it was after Rinne froze the puck, or maybe after the puck went over the glass, not sure which one.

Of course I'm not saying to blindly go for the empty net, if there are other (better) options available. But in general, I like that the Preds go for it when they can.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu

Seattle may win the cup in their first year.

I think the lack of pressure is helping this team also. For multiple reasons, the sophomore slump will probably kick this franchise pretty hard next season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Seattle may win the cup in their first year.

I think the lack of pressure is helping this team also. For multiple reasons, the sophomore slump will probably kick this franchise pretty hard next season.

Tend to agree because I think they will probably end up losing some guys they can't replace. Even if they are going to make the playoffs they need to trade Neal, to lose that guaranteed pick as a brand new team is going to hurt, double so if Neal just walks away.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Most of our shots ended up in Subban's chest. The guys in the shootout came in slow and went low on him. We made it easy for him to make saves.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Vegas twitter account said members of the Nashville media were cheering after a goal, Nashville media calls them out on it saying they didn't. Vegas media relations issues a retraction and apology while other members of the media say Nashville has some of the most professional writers in the league.

Late to the party here on the whole Vegas twitter thing, but just a quick comment. I completely understand the Preds media members being upset about it. The only thing I had a little bit of a problem with is them loudly talking about how the tweet could threaten their careers or cause them to have their credentials revoked...

Ummm- that is isn't the case at all UNLESS THEY WERE ACTUALLY DOING WHAT THEY WERE ACCUSED OF. No one is getting fired or facing any punishment simply because some idiot made something up and tweeted it. Nothin happens if they were actually guilty of it, which, by all accounts they were not.

But again, I understand their being upset about it and the tweet should not have ever happened....

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The only thing I had a little bit of a problem with is them loudly talking about how the tweet could threaten their careers or cause them to have their credentials revoked...

Ummm- that is isn't the case at all UNLESS THEY WERE ACTUALLY DOING WHAT THEY WERE ACCUSED OF.

That's the thing. This got investigated because of the claim. A false claim. A completely fabricated lie presented as truth just because the person running the account was upset the Golden Knights got scored on and wanted to make Nashville look bad. Because they lied, they had to issue an apology.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Late to the party here on the whole Vegas twitter thing, but just a quick comment. I completely understand the Preds media members being upset about it. The only thing I had a little bit of a problem with is them loudly talking about how the tweet could threaten their careers or cause them to have their credentials revoked...

Ummm- that is isn't the case at all UNLESS THEY WERE ACTUALLY DOING WHAT THEY WERE ACCUSED OF. No one is getting fired or facing any punishment simply because some idiot made something up and tweeted it. Nothin happens if they were actually guilty of it, which, by all accounts they were not.

But again, I understand their being upset about it and the tweet should not have ever happened....

The tweet by the Vegas staff called into question the integrity of the Nashville hockey media. It was something that required a response and Diamond provided it. Perception becomes reality which is why we saw such a loud and prompt reply followed by the rapid backpedal by Vegas.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The tweet by the Vegas staff called into question the integrity of the Nashville hockey media. It was something that required a response and Diamond provided it. Perception becomes reality which is why we saw such a loud and prompt reply followed by the rapid backpedal by Vegas.

I guess I didn't explain myself in my post- I get all of that- I completely agree. Nashville should have responded. Vegas crossed a line- no argument.

All I am saying is no one's job or credentials were on the line here. UNLESS they actually did what they were falsely accused of. If you are doing your job correctly no idiot on twitter has the power to cause you to lose your job make making up lies.....

Again, I am 100% on Nashville's side here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->