OT: Vegas Knight Hawks indoor football

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It amazes me to see this and the HSK and think did another arena really need to be built in Henderson? Why did Boyd treat the teams before them so poorly?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
"Modern" arena with "all the amenities" of 21st century.

Cachet of new arena. Henderson giving incentives to rebuild arena/venue.

(Only negative thing seems to be the parking issue. Haven't seen how they plan on providing sufficient parking without neighbors up in arms.)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Exactly Henderson had to pay up to get it. Boyd will say nice things about uplift from event nights and all but once HSK leave I think the Orleans Arena is going to be a bit of a white elephant.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Recently was reading WRT parking that TDLC is planning on working with surrounding business areas to use their parking "after hours".

Excluding Nevada Day or school day games, that will work.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Interesting but man its getting to be crowded out there. NLL coming next year and that's probably more exciting to watch than arena football to be honest. But arena football, lacrosse, HSK, UNLV, Aviators, the Aces, the Lights (and maybe MLS), endless supply of early season college basketball, and some college hockey all as secondary to the VGK and Raiders plus we'll see about the A's and the NBA. I fully expect this not to end well for some of these secondary sports options.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If Oakland does get their act together and put together a deal for the Athletics, there might be another California team looking for a new home, the Angels. State just ruled that the sale of the stadium and surrounding land is not valid.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If Oakland does get their act together and put together a deal for the Athletics, there might be another California team looking for a new home, the Angels. State just ruled that the sale of the stadium and surrounding land is not valid.

Angels moving to Vegas, yeah not going to happen. Even though they haven't been successful they are in one of the best markets for an MLB team getting access to LA market's TV money, but having higher-end Orange County as their target market with only the Ducks around competing for sports dollars. I'm sure they will figure out some way to make that land sale work, just some crazy technicality some locals are relying on to try to increase the cost to the Angels.

I just don't get the land rush to be in Vegas anyways. One team is going to fail at it and that whole lets go to Vegas momentum will die down. Maybe it will be one of the minors teams that struggle that deters another from trying to carve up what's really not that big of a market to begin with. I think two major league teams are about right, especially the NFL where local market TV size doesn't matter.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I just don't get the land rush to be in Vegas anyways. One team is going to fail at it and that whole lets go to Vegas momentum will die down. Maybe it will be one of the minors teams that struggle that deters another from trying to carve up what's really not that big of a market to begin with. I think two major league teams are about right, especially the NFL where local market TV size doesn't matter.

We already have teams failing. UNLV basketball has been failing for a while now and are really struggling with attendance. I have to admit I pay less attention to them thanks to the Knights (and it doesn’t help that UNLV basketball doesn’t win much).

UNLV football has been much worse for much longer.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
We already have teams failing. UNLV basketball has been failing for a while now and are really struggling with attendance. I have to admit I pay less attention to them thanks to the Knights (and it doesn’t help that UNLV basketball doesn’t win much).

Sure they have been hurt bit hard for a college team to fail. I guess they could be expelled from the MWC or the NCAA could sanction them for poor football attendance, but it's not like a franchise that either could just shut down or move to another market.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV

Losing and leadership incompetence is the largest issues for UNLV sports. Basketball is starting to really improve attendance under their new AD. Think they are transitioning in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad