Prospect Info: Vegas Golden Knights Prospect/Chicago Wolves AHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Pulkkinen keeps scoring and the hockey world keeps ignoring him as usual. Hopefully he'll get his chance in the big league.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I was wondering about that. Although they do have a roster limit for the playoffs so hopefully they'll make room for T.Lindberg and anyone else they might acquire by the deadline (I imagine they'd want Tuch and Theodore in the AHL playoffs as well even after they get called up).
For playoffs, there is a clear day roster deadline. Guys on that list, including call ups in NHL (often reassigned on paper that day) are eligible to play in AHL playoffs PLUS any prospects signed thereafter, such as CHLers, NCAA grads. For injury replacements, teams can call up from ECHL.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Pulkkinen keeps scoring and the hockey world keeps ignoring him as usual. Hopefully he'll get his chance in the big league.

He’s always been an AHL superstar. That is nothing new. He just can’t keep up with the game at the next level from what I have seen.

If one or two teams pass on you, they could be wrong...when this many teams pass on you, there’s probably a reason.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think I need to change my username to Cody Glass as I’m becoming a fan boy it seems lol.

13 points in 6 games. Over 2ppg. That is impressive even considering the sample size, but there’s a guy out there with ¡13! Goals in 6 games.

Speaking of 2ppg, Suzuki has 10 in 5. The top CHL prospects are off to torrid starts. Brannstrom has one assist in 8 games. Hopefully he has just been snake bitten or he might get sent down.

Hague has 3 apples in 5 games, and he is -6 which is the worst on the team. They are 1-4.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Updated the original post. I was having a little trouble with he goalie stats from the USHL. Glass and Suzuki seem to be coming along wonderfully. Nikita Gusev leads the KHL in points. Theodore and Tuch are putting up stellar numbers in the AHL, and so is Pulkkinen which is frustrating given his time up here.

Dylan Ferguson is slowly getting his GAA down little by little, he's still 0-6 with a GAA over 6, but I don't know if that's a reflection of his play or his team's, any Kamloops or WHL fans that can chime in would be appreciated.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

They preferred more well rounded players like Nosek, who can play C, and Leipsic, who is younger and they expected him to pass through waivers unclaimed.

I don't think it's a big indictment on his play, or Hyka for that matter. It's more of a numbers game and they want to see what Nosek and Leipsic can do full time in the NHL.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Eventually I'd like the Knights to set up their AHL affiliate in Reno and ECHL in fellow gambling mecca Atlantic City.

Unless Foley purchases the AHL Chicago Wolves (or other independent AHL team) and moves them, not happening.

Now, there have been plans for more than a decade to bring (ECHL) hockey to Reno. But given the change/switch with AHL teams moving to California, perhaps that'll change in the future.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Cody Glass 7gp 4g 10a 14p (T-7th in the WHL)
Nick Suzuki 6gp 4g 7a 11p (T-3rd in the OHL, named OHL's "On the Run" player of the week)

The boys are lookin good.

Brannstrom also finally got an assist in the SHL in his 8th game.

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
Makes me lough how many proven NHL-players play in the wolves. Come on! Brandon Pirri!? Pulkkinen has semi-proven that he is at least 40p per season calibre in the NHL. No need to argue about Pulkkinen. Watched all his games, and before his injury at Detroit he was on pace for 50-60 points. He is also a good playmaker, doesn't only shoot. With these guys the Wolves will be champions this season. Nice start for the knights, but the only explination I can come up with keeping this much potential in the AHL is that the knights are shooting on purpose to be bottom 4 in the leauge this season to get the highest pick possible and a potential franchise player for the future.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Hey guys, I have to gush about Suzuki's play a little bit. I took in the games against Windsor and Erie this week and it was my first look at Suzuki this season, and it's crazy what a difference an off-season can make. His line is likely the best in Canada this season, but it's the little details in his game that are remarkable. Backchecks hard, blocks shots, has terrific positioning, and insane awareness. I've been watching OHL hockey constantly for over 15 years and I've hardly ever seen a winger this complete, let alone at 18.

Offensively he's the straw that stirs the Attack's drink. Dangles guys like it's nothing (though he's been getting cute a little too often, a habit that will get sorted out in the pros), crisp, tape to tape passes, anticipating plays. He looks physically bigger and stronger this season and it's reflecting in his game, he wants to be the guy out there and he's dictating the pace of play.

While I think there's enough room for him to grow to warrant a full two years in junior post draft, you guys have a kid coming up who is going to be a deadly part of a real good second line in the future, and maybe even a top line.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Makes me lough how many proven NHL-players play in the wolves. Come on! Brandon Pirri!? Pulkkinen has semi-proven that he is at least 40p per season calibre in the NHL. No need to argue about Pulkkinen. Watched all his games, and before his injury at Detroit he was on pace for 50-60 points. He is also a good playmaker, doesn't only shoot. With these guys the Wolves will be champions this season. Nice start for the knights, but the only explination I can come up with keeping this much potential in the AHL is that the knights are shooting on purpose to be bottom 4 in the leauge this season to get the highest pick possible and a potential franchise player for the future.

Pirri was signed as a replacement for Duke who's out for several months, if not the whole season. Pulkkinen looks like he'll be an AHL star that can't find his game in the majors, he didn't look that impressive during the pre-season.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Eventually I'd like the Knights to set up their AHL affiliate in Reno and ECHL in fellow gambling mecca Atlantic City.

I think the Atlantic City thing was a little tongue in cheek, but I vehemently agree the Knights need an AHL team bad.

The Wolves care about winning. All I would care about is player development i.e. helping the players take the next step. Winning the damn Calder Cup wouldn’t mean a damn thing to me as an NHL GM.

There are just too many players in Chicago. Kolesar being an ECHL player seems like a joke judging off his junior career and training camp unless Barzal made him look like something he’s not and it fooled everyone.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
From everything I've read, the Chicago Wolves of old that concentrated on winning Calder Cups and Chicago market share/ticket sales are not today's Chicago Wolves. The Knights have full control over roster moves, coaching, training, everything. That's apparently a huge departure from their previous affiliation agreements.

I don't know that the Knights have got any real interest in purchasing an AHL team and moving them closer. When you really think about it, Chicago is perfect for any team to use as an AHL affiliate when it comes to location/air travel options for call ups. It's a 2/3 hour flight anywhere, and Chicago's got two airports with tons nonstop flights to every NHL city every day at almost all times of day.

We should get used to the AHL team being in Chicago. I think it's there long term.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
That is great to hear that he has improved his strength / speed since he’s not the biggest guy out there.

The killer instinct and work ethic is what makes a good player a great player, so that’s also great to hear.

One thing I want to ask is that you typed he’s been playing wing. He’s usually listed as a center / mentioned he was a center at the draft. From what I can gather, it seems Hancock is the center.

Does Suzuki still take some draws or is he purely the winger? Was he a Center last year and Owen Sound is just stacking a top line?

Curious because I always saw him as a winger due to the average size / speed / strength. Two guys with insane hockey IQ on a line like Glass-Suzuki would be awesome.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
When the NHL expands to 32 (which should be soon and) I think it should be in Milwaukee (Quebec City just seems out of the question for now due to the conference inbalance it would create). They can take the Wolves and Vegas can put their AHL team in Reno. I'm actually quite serious about ECHL in Atlantic City for the Knights though.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
That is great to hear that he has improved his strength / speed since he’s not the biggest guy out there.

The killer instinct and work ethic is what makes a good player a great player, so that’s also great to hear.

One thing I want to ask is that you typed he’s been playing wing. He’s usually listed as a center / mentioned he was a center at the draft. From what I can gather, it seems Hancock is the center.

Does Suzuki still take some draws or is he purely the winger? Was he a Center last year and Owen Sound is just stacking a top line?

Curious because I always saw him as a winger due to the average size / speed / strength. Two guys with insane hockey IQ on a line like Glass-Suzuki would be awesome.

Looking at the OHL website, which finally tracks face-offs, Suzuki and Hancock take roughly the same amount of face-offs through the first seven games. I'll have to watch more closely in the future, but that indicates that they may be splitting the draws based on what side of the ice they're on.

At least when the play is on, Suzuki is almost always the RW at even strength, since Hancock's game is so much better suited for centre. The line is pretty free-flowing though, especially on offence where Suzuki plays East-West a lot and really work the space he's given.

On the powerplay he's being used mostly on the half-wall from what I'm seeing, similar to what Crosby or Kane typically do in the NHL.

I guess to answer your question, he's playing a bit of both, but I see game best suited to wing in the NHL, especially if he has a centre like Hancock playing with him. Cody Eakin might be a decent comparable if Eakin was more dangerous offensively in the NHL, in that he's crafty and useful in all three zones.

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->