Prospect Info: Vegas Golden Knights Prospect/Chicago Wolves AHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
any news regarding who's replacing Quad City in the overall schematic for Vegas/Rosemont (refuse to call it Chicago)?
ECHL doesn't matter a whole ton, and I say that as a former Wranglers fan.

If they have to dump guys into random ECHL teams for a little while, I don't think that hurts us as a team.

Reactions: MordredGK

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
ECHL doesn't matter a whole ton, and I say that as a former Wranglers fan.

If they have to dump guys into random ECHL teams for a little while, I don't think that hurts us as a team.

They have to have an affiliation, will become more useful next season as they get closer to have a depth chart of prospects and maybes. I think the one thing that gets overlooked is how important ECHL is to giving younger players a shot. Very easy for spots at AHL to be blocked by veterans and overflow from NHL. If you are a scratch at AHL you might as well not exist because you have to play in a system and get to be good at game recognition spots. The ECHL helps develop players who end up being good 3rd and 4th liners developing skills which translate at any pro level such as positioning and anticipating how to start and build a cycle game. If you don't have a good affiliation your players are going to be put in the wrong spots and you won't get enough bandwith to get in all the players you want that you could possibly control.

For Glass just skating with the Wolves won't really help that much because he's so good already it will just confirm what he probably already believes, that his talent is as good as anything you find at that level. Practice time might help him develop a little more, but nothing like time during games to learn and feel out a pro-style system especially on the defensive end.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
They have to have an affiliation, will become more useful next season as they get closer to have a depth chart of prospects and maybes. I think the one thing that gets overlooked is how important ECHL is to giving younger players a shot. Very easy for spots at AHL to be blocked by veterans and overflow from NHL. If you are a scratch at AHL you might as well not exist because you have to play in a system and get to be good at game recognition spots. The ECHL helps develop players who end up being good 3rd and 4th liners developing skills which translate at any pro level such as positioning and anticipating how to start and build a cycle game. If you don't have a good affiliation your players are going to be put in the wrong spots and you won't get enough bandwith to get in all the players you want that you could possibly control.

For Glass just skating with the Wolves won't really help that much because he's so good already it will just confirm what he probably already believes, that his talent is as good as anything you find at that level. Practice time might help him develop a little more, but nothing like time during games to learn and feel out a pro-style system especially on the defensive end.
Still, the ECHL is where players that are pretty good go to die.

The list of ECHL players that have gone on to become NHL players worth a mention is small, but sigsignificantly more distinguished, with the presence of Mr. Engelland. It's not a major issue to have no ECHL team.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I can't think of too many of our guys that could spend time in the ECHL. Maybe Duke, Ferguson and Coghlan but then again that's a young player they need to have in the Wolves lineup to meet the '13 developing players' requirement without Blues prospects.

Glass isn't there for practice, he's there to win the Calder cup.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Still, the ECHL is where players that are pretty good go to die.

The list of ECHL players that have gone on to become NHL players worth a mention is small, but sigsignificantly more distinguished, with the presence of Mr. Engelland. It's not a major issue to have no ECHL team.

UH, 641 players have seen time in both leagues, BB, IF not all 3 leagues, and how many markets would love right now to join VGK after this odd start to a franchise, it's the one stat the ECHL has prided itself in even if it is rarely mentioned or known nationally.... 76 OF THOSE 641 played or were on opening night rosters of all 31 teams, including Vegas.... I think it's a major issue that needs to be addressed which is why the focus of the question asked because there's already a thread discussing QC and its hockey future, which may or may not ever exist again, much like how Vegas lost the Wranglers when the focus shifted to bringing the Knights there.... Foley could've gone elsewhere other than Vegas had he chose to do so.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I can't think of too many of our guys that could spend time in the ECHL. Maybe Duke, Ferguson and Coghlan but then again that's a young player they need to have in the Wolves lineup to meet the '13 developing players' requirement without Blues prospects.
Blues are essentially on their way to San Antonio, as Colorado has exited there with the Rampage not qualifying.... All Colorado is waiting for is the Eagles final run to the Kelly Cup to officially end.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
UH, 641 players have seen time in both leagues, BB, IF not all 3 leagues, and how many markets would love right now to join VGK after this odd start to a franchise, it's the one stat the ECHL has prided itself in even if it is rarely mentioned or known nationally.... 76 OF THOSE 641 played or were on opening night rosters of all 31 teams, including Vegas.... I think it's a major issue that needs to be addressed which is why the focus of the question asked because there's already a thread discussing QC and its hockey future, which may or may not ever exist again, much like how Vegas lost the Wranglers when the focus shifted to bringing the Knights there.... Foley could've gone elsewhere other than Vegas had he chose to do so.
I'm not saying ECHL isn't a good part of the pipeline, just saying that of the 40 players to hit the ice on any given night of an ECHL matchup, 1 will hit the ice for an NHL team in their future.

It's not a major part of the development pipeline.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm not saying ECHL isn't a good part of the pipeline, just saying that of the 40 players to hit the ice on any given night of an ECHL matchup, 1 will hit the ice for an NHL team in their future.

fine, maybe there shouldn't be any affiliations for Vegas, then, by that line of reasoning, BB, except that's a violation of AHL BYLAWS

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Blues are essentially on their way to San Antonio, as Colorado has exited there with the Rampage not qualifying.... All Colorado is waiting for is the Eagles final run to the Kelly Cup to officially end.

I wonder if another NHL team will send some kids to the Wolves next year.

Defence will be full of our prospects, forwards, not so much.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

to be fair it is for goalies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I wonder if another NHL team will send some kids to the Wolves next year.

Defence will be full of our prospects, forwards, not so much.

Doubtful, at this point, the only reason the Blues did as you saw, and yes, one of their "veterans"ended up in Providence after Vegas claimed Malcolm Subban off waivers, it's usually a stopgap solution... hence why Colorado did what they did to acquire the 31st franchise (the Blues strictly are solely an affiliate, and have likely lost too much financially to be an owner/operator), hence why the AHL ALLOWED Eagles ownership (the arena is why they're not there already, along with the Avalanche to do what they did), and it keeps the Spurs owned Rampage as a active member since the rule has been you cannot be an independent, the E is not as restrictive as the AHL, WHEREAS IT DOES ALLOW FRANCHISES TO GO "Independent" TO A DEGREE, BUT what you're seeing is all teams whether directly or indirectly are all affiliated, in the ECHL, NOW whether they choose to promote a "working agreement", THAT'S the question.

Reactions: MordredGK

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Often an ECHL team may have multiple affiliations. This gives them more opportunities to get guys to fill roster spots, but it also may demand more (unaffiliated) players for injury/call ups. Some might be formal affiliations, others might just be an issue of taking a player or few (think extra goalie).

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Looks like Suzuki will be joining Glass on Saturday in the AHL playoffs...SSM is stacked offensively and Owen Sound's goalie is kind of sucks. Katchouk Raddysh and Frost on a power play is kind of ridiculous.

Owen Sound trailing 8-3 in game 7:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Man the Knights have to draft this overager Durzi kid.

I was at two of the Owen Sound vs. London games, and I didn't really notice Durzi even though he scored at one of the games I was at - maybe it's just because I was paying so much attention to Suzuki. ;)

NHL Central Scouting lists him at #37 among NA Skaters in their final draft ranking list. He's a late birthday, so he can go right into the AHL this coming season too.

Also bear in mind: Vegas only has ONE selection in the first 98 picks of this year's draft. No 1st from the Tatar trade, and no 3rd from the Haula/Tuch deal. They got Vancouver's 4th in the Reaves trade, which is pick #99. The first VGK pick will be in the #56-62 range.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I was at two of the Owen Sound vs. London games, and I didn't really notice Durzi even though he scored at one of the games I was at - maybe it's just because I was paying so much attention to Suzuki. ;)

NHL Central Scouting lists him at #37 among NA Skaters in their final draft ranking list. He's a late birthday, so he can go right into the AHL this coming season too.

Also bear in mind: Vegas only has ONE selection in the first 98 picks of this year's draft. No 1st from the Tatar trade, and no 3rd from the Haula/Tuch deal. They got Vancouver's 4th in the Reaves trade, which is pick #99. The first VGK pick will be in the #56-62 range.

for organizational depth an overager forward would be preferred. Not that Hyka is anything to sneeze at. He can still pass through waivers next season (unless he sticks with the big club).

But there was no quit in Durzi last night. He just screams 'late bloomer' to me. I hope he falls to the 4th and we can snag him with the 99th

Reactions: Sir Goose

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
for organizational depth an overager forward would be preferred. Not that Hyka is anything to sneeze at. He can still pass through waivers next season (unless he sticks with the big club).

But there was no quit in Durzi last night. He just screams 'late bloomer' to me. I hope he falls to the 4th and we can snag him with the 99th

Plus, you can never have enough right-handed d-men in your organization. Engelland only has a short time left, and Colin Miller should be here for a while, but the depth isn't there. Casto is probably a career AHLer, and the only D we drafted were lefties (Hague, Brannstrom). Leaves Coghlan and Whitecloud as the only RHD in the system, and they should both get full seasons in Chicago next year. Even if Dursi goes elsewhere, it would be nice if we could use a later pick on a RHD (we have two 4ths, two 5ths and two 6ths this year).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If VGK select not to re-sign some of their pending UFAs, it may be possible to add a few more picks.

Or perhaps puck up bad contract/cap space.

Or trade picks to move up. Ottawa and Pittsburgh owe GMGM.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Speaking of forwards and defesemen, Jack Dugan's teammate Blake McLaughlin is slated to go in the 2nd round. He's the little step-brother of Knights' defenseman prospect Jake Bischoff. He'll be a Minnesota Golden Gopher next year, just like Haula and Schmidt. (I feel like Pierre McGuire over here) I wonder if they're giving him a long look...

on that note Dugan has committed to Providence.

and Jordan Kyrou was assigned to the Wolves by St Louis. Less ice time for Kolesar. :mad:

Reactions: Sir Goose

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hacksaw Jack Dugan's Chicago Steel won the best of 3 to advance to the Eastern USHL semifinals. Dugan has a goal and 2 assists through 3 playoff games.
Maxim Zhukov's Gamblers fall 0-2 in the best of 3 to end their season. He had a .882 save percentage and 3.60 GAA in those 2 playoff games.

Dylan Coghlan's Tri City Americans face Everett in the 3rd round of the WHL playoffs tomorrow.

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Anyone seen Hague in Chicago?

If I remember correctly you can buy single game streams for the AHL. Will definintely have to check up on the 3 prospects starting there.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Anyone seen Hague in Chicago?

If I remember correctly you can buy single game streams for the AHL. Will definintely have to check up on the 3 prospects starting there.

I think it's $10 per game or $45 for the first 2 rounds. I don't know about the quality of the stream though, they had a lot of complaints a few years ago.
Wolves' playoffs start tonight but I wouldn't expect Suzuki to draw in for game 1. He hasn't practiced much with the team.

Here's some highlights of Dylan Coghlan from last night:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad