Petr Mrazek
Jonathan Ericsson
2019 2nd Round Pick
2020 2nd Round Pick

:wings

Reilly Smith
Jon Merrill
Oscar Dansk

Detroit gets rid of 2 bad contracts in Abdelkader and Ericsson, while taking on a bad contract in Reilly Smith, but shorter than Abby's. Dansk is a throw in to give Detroit another goalie.

Vegas gets a better backup, as well as a couple of high 2nd round picks, while still getting players that can play in their lineup.

I know Ken Holland would never trade Abdelkader, but this offer is more, if he wasn't in the GM position.

Reactions: iSophagus

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I actually don't mind this proposal at all. Still think Mrazek has lots of potential and I've always liked Reilly Smith and figure he wouldn't turn it around eventually. This would definitely help out the Wings cap situation and the loss of two 2nd rounders hurts. But all in all a pretty reasonable deal.

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
I think this is actually quite reasonable, it just depends on how much GMGM values taking on that horrendous Abdelkader contract... he may want more in return for taking it. It'd also depend on when he actually thinks his team will be competitive, because if he thinks it's sooner rather than later I doubt he'd want that kind of anchor.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
:vegas

Justin Abdelkader
Petr Mrazek
Jonathan Ericsson
2019 2nd Round Pick
2020 2nd Round Pick

Reilly Smith
Jon Merrill
Oscar Dansk

Detroit gets rid of 2 bad contracts in Abdelkader and Ericsson, while taking on a bad contract in Reilly Smith, but shorter than Abby's. Dansk is a throw in to give Detroit another goalie.

Vegas gets a better backup, as well as a couple of high 2nd round picks, while still getting players that can play in their lineup.

I know Ken Holland would never trade Abdelkader, but this offer is more, if he wasn't in the GM position.

For a deal involving 8 different pieces, and 6 roster players, this is surprisingly good. I think it makes some sense for each team.

The variables here are 1)how much Vegas needs a backup goalie, 2) if they see Smith as a long(ish) term piece, and 3) how bad the Abdelkader contract really is.

I would say Mrazek to Vegas is almost perfect. And, knowing how GMGM operates, I would bet that they would be willing to sell Smith if they got picks they liked enough. That's 2 points in favor of the trade.

But that contract for Abdelkader is for 5 more seasons after this one. It's brutal. I wonder if theres a way to simplify this trade a bit. Drop Abdelkader and one of the picks? Just Smith for Mrazek +2nd?

Good premise, though. Well done.

Reactions: Oddbob

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Vegas can't take 3 one-way contracts and give up only 2.

Smith is not a bad contract, Vegas gave up a pick to get him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The thing is.. Detroit has no incentive to pay with draft picks in order to get rid of bad contracts right now. Draft picks are more valuable to them than cap space at this point in time.

Reactions: Marky9er

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Would you qualify Mrazek for 4.15M?
I think it's much better to wait how Mrazek performs now.

Of all the teams, Vegas is the one that could afford that without getting burned. And a team does have the option to just not offer a QO, and let him hit the open market.

MAF is the goalie in Vegas, as he should be. But Mrazek is 8 years younger, and full of talent. Maybe MAF doesn`t re-sign and they need someone, or maybe they transition over time. I think it could work.

Edit: And if Mrazek can`t do the job, walk away. Cheap enough gamble.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Is Reilly Smith, another winger for a team chock full of them, really better for a team that's rebuilding than 2 2nds? Losing bad contracts that will, mostly, expire before they matter isn't something a rebuilding team really ought to be prioritizing, especially when it just means Holland would go use up the money next June/July anyway.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No 2018 picks? LV isn't going to be happy with that. I think the overall premise would be an interesting one for LV to look at... but given how far out those picks are (2 and 3 drafts away), it's probably not in their best interests to take on shit contracts when the really enticing parts of the return are not from the 18 draft. Not to mention that LV already has 3 2nd rounders in each of those drafts.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This doesn't make any sense for Vegas and the extra 2nd round pick isn't that much of an incentive to do it.

If they were to target a goalie they'd go for someone like Lindgren who can be sent down without waivers.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Like others have said Vegas are looking to drop contracts, so I don't know how well a 3-3 trade would do.
Would Detroit really give up two 2nds to unload their contracts? They seem to be needing to rebuild.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
McPhee has specifically constructed this team without any long-term contracts - Smith is the only one, but he's a Gallant favorite and is young enough to stick around for a while. I can't see him taking on both of those DET contracts. Plus, we already have two goalies and passed on Mrazek once, so I doubt we take on an expensive goalie contract while Fleury is out. We're not contending so we don't need to make any panicky moves to replace Fleury. And if we were to move Merrill, the whole point would be to alleviate the logjam on D rather than bring in another D to replace him (which would still keep Theodore in the AHL).

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
How long's Fleury out for? If he's out for the rest of the season, then I can maaaybe see Vegas having at least a little interest in Mrazek. Otherwise, I don't see it, they passed over him in the ED for a reason.

I'm guessing it's gonna take more than a couple 2nds for them to even think about taking on Abby's contract and Ericsson period.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
The 2 2nd picks would hurt to give up but it'd be nice to get out from under that Abby contract but Holland will never trade him and I doubt he'd ever waive. Ericsson has about two years left on his contract and right now we need futures more than we need to worry about cap space, but otherwise the proposal makes sense.

Congrats on making a proposal where the general consensus is that it's a good one..doesn't happen a whole lot.

Reactions: Oddbob

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Of all the teams, Vegas is the one that could afford that without getting burned. And a team does have the option to just not offer a QO, and let him hit the open market.

MAF is the goalie in Vegas, as he should be. But Mrazek is 8 years younger, and full of talent. Maybe MAF doesn`t re-sign and they need someone, or maybe they transition over time. I think it could work.

Edit: And if Mrazek can`t do the job, walk away. Cheap enough gamble.

Not really all that cheap if they are stuck with that horrific Abdelkader contract at the end of it

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
:vegas

Justin Abdelkader
Petr Mrazek
Jonathan Ericsson
2019 2nd Round Pick
2020 2nd Round Pick

Reilly Smith
Jon Merrill
Oscar Dansk

No thanks. Ride out the contracts. I don't want to see the Wings trade picks to get ride of Holland deals.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not a bad proposal in theory. But I don't think the Wings get out of both Abdelkader and Eriksson's deals that easy. Just them alone, Vegas is adding ~$3.5m in cap including Smith going the other way. Add in Mrazek and what he's likely to get on his next deal and that's way too much salary heading LV's way. It'd have to be one or the other.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
We can't afford to trade picks. We have to just ride out these contracts for the time being. Abbys deal is long but the cap hit is manageable for now. The key is not to sign anymore long term deals for the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad