Results are only viewable after voting.

Visul

Dec 22, 2015
False

Since Jan 19th
Gardiner: 21pts, +8 in 24 games.
Vatanen: 16pts, -2 in in 26 games

Gardiner, and it isnt close

Why choose exactly Jan 19th? Nothing to do with Gardiner starting his point streak since then and to exclude Vatanen's 3 point night on Jan 18th? Lol, embarassing.

If you truly wanna take a look at their second halves of the season, then you split the season in half and start your watch from game 42.

Gardiner since Jan 4th (Leafs game 42)
29 games, 1 + 21 = 22, +5

Vatanen since Jan 14th (Devils game 42)
28 games, 2 + 18 = 20, +2

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Way to knitpick, Gardiner does make bonehead mistake from time to time but his ability to cover the passing lanes, his transitional game and his effectiveness at preventing controlled zone entries is what makes him an effective Dman in his own end. If Gardiner is terrible at his defensive assignments then what does that say about the rest of the Leafs' top 4 (Rielly, Zaitsev and Hainsey) considering Jake has the best GA/60 (by a wide margin), xGA/60, HDCA/60 (high danger shots against), SA/60 and HDCF% (high danger corsi %) among the Leafs' top 4 Dmen. If that was the case, then Andersen really deserves the Vezna for playing behind the worst defensive top 4 ever assembled am I right?

No no no, take every one of those advanced stats and stick them far up your ass my dude. It wasn’t Rielly or Zaitsev who watched Seguin skate around them to pick up his own rebound and score.

Mar 14, 2011
No no no, take every one of those advanced stats and stick them far up your ass my dude. It wasn’t Rielly or Zaitsev who watched Seguin skate around them to pick up his own rebound and score.
Dude watch the play again, Gardiner would have cleared the puck had the linesman not gotten in the way of his clearing attempt, yes Gardiner could have shown more hustle but it was an unfortunate play to begin with. Also GA/60 is not an advance stats, its simply goals against per 60 minutes (5 vs 5) and it shows us that the Leafs as a team allows significantly less goals against with Gardiner on ice compare to the other Leaf top 4 defenders. Really, using that Seguin goal as your whole argument for Jake not being a good Dman was pretty flawed to begin with.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Meanwhile, it was Rielly that Seguin skated around to get the puck and pass to Benn on the first goal. Defensemen get beat on plays by elite forwards, it happens.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Gardiner definitely gets his points but man his defensive game is :facepalm: worthy for me. Seen it for too many years I guess. Don't know much about Vatanen tbh, but he can't be worse than Jake can he? Ducks fans? Devils fans?

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Logging some pretty tough minutes on a mediocre team.
Be more of a typical butt hurt leafs fan because an hf poll didn’t go your way lol. If the devils are mediocre, the leafs aren’t much better than that. Also the answer to this poll is quite easily vats.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Vatanen is the better one, he was Ducks best shot blocker
in his time in Anaheim, he had most blocked shots.

- haven't checked his Devils tenure blocked shot stats,
but you would think his avg is one of the best.

He is very sound in own end and of lately (last 20+ games)
has found his long lost scoring touch, awesome for him,
he after all, when he came to the NHL was a offensive dman
now he has become more of a two-way d-man.

His break out passes from the d-zone this season in Devils jersey
me like, that's the stuff what was missing from his game
past year and half.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Weird how he beats Vatanen in gf% and xgf% if he can't defend
It's just weird, it might be on of those stats that don't take in account the goaltender quality of play, like you know Andersen having a great season, and Cory and KK being shitty for a good part of the season, until lately where KK > Andersen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad