Vasilevskiy coulda been a Wing

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I guess. But the Wings probably wouldn't have picked him. They most likely end up with Olli Maatta. He was the consensus pick for the Wings at the time in our imaginary draft scenarios.

In 2012 Jimmy was coming off his 3rd consecutive season of 35+ wins. Goaltending wasn't going to be their pick in the first 20.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He was our 2012 1st round pick. But Holland in his infinite wisdom traded that away for Quincey. Anyone remember? Now look at that trade.

There is no chance in hell that the Wings take Andrei Vasilevsky if they hold onto that pick.

2011-2012 had them with 27 year old Jimmy Howard coming off a .924 sv 2.26 GAA , .908 sv 2.79 GAA, .920 .920 sv 2.12 GAA.
It had Petr Mrazek in the Wings system who was coming off of being the best goalie at the World Junior tournament and looking like a potential future stud.
Thomas McCollum as a big time prospect had just massively busted when the Wings took him #30 OA. No chance in hell they draft a goalie that high.

Also, hot take... Trading #19 OA for Quincey was actually a pretty decent move. I thought by looking at this

Statistically Speaking: Expected value of NHL Draft picks - Article - TSN

That he actually was not awful value for where they got him. Granted, an okay top 4 D isn't anywhere near as sexy as the chance at the next breakout star.

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
There aren't a lot of guys drafted from Vasilevskiy to Frk that I can look at and say, wow, we missed out.
Vasilevsky is one, but like everyone said, we weren't drafting him.
The guy who impresses me is Brady Skjei.
Maata would have been good, too, I guess. Jankowski is starting to look like a decent player.

Reactions: kliq

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
As most of us are older than 10, yeah we remember the Quincey trade 5 whole years ago.

But if the point of the thread is that Holland is a piece of shit of a human being than yeah, we're all with you man.

Good post. Go team.

If you want to start a post titled "Jagr could have been a Redwing" that might be more interesting.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is just worthless speculation. You can always find a favourable or better prospect than we picked. It could have been Jankowski, who knows. Or others can speculate opposite ways.

At 2010-12 Russian factor was very meaningful factor in NHL. Jagr went to KHL for taxfree money and same did Hudler. KHL had money power (Hudler earned more money after taxes than Lidström did in NHL) and Russians had a lot higher probablity to stay overseas. That's why we skipped these Kuznetsovs for Sheahans and so on. You can f***ing debate until death about these things, but it doesn't lead to anything. World was different then.

When Russia did have that conflict with Ukraine of Krim peninsula, and because of that Invasion, their Ruble lost 50% of his value. Suddenly every Russian KHL player was again interested about a double stronger American Dollar. Alexander Radulov came back etc.

Too bad Ken Holland wasn't able to see World Politics or Russian warmongering from his crystal ball.

Yzerman did gamble for it, an succeeded. All hail Steve Yzerman!

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman is a bad drafter.

Yup, what I have learned here on HFboards is whiffing on a player in a draft like that (especially in the top 10) is unforgivable. Completely and utterly unforgivable. But that might just be a double-standard here. because, ya know... "all hail Stevie-Y!"

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There aren't a lot of guys drafted from Vasilevskiy to Frk that I can look at and say, wow, we missed out.
Vasilevsky is one, but like everyone said, we weren't drafting him.
The guy who impresses me is Brady Skjei.
Maata would have been good, too, I guess. Jankowski is starting to look like a decent player.

I still like Maata. At the very least I think he's a clear upgrade over guys like Jensen and XO.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
But, but... Jagr preferred a team with a right-handed center... and then signed to Florida, which didn't have any. Shined well with Barkov (lefty). :P

I was going back a little further.

Nolan
Nedved
Primeau
Ricci
Jagr

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He was our 2012 1st round pick. But Holland in his infinite wisdom traded that away for Quincey. Anyone remember? Now look at that trade.

I think it's reasonable to criticize Holland for giving up a 1st to bring back a former Wings asset they lost for nothing in Quincey. But don't put much stock in the "coulda drafted" game.

There's always woulda coulda shoulda's in every draft year. It's too hypothetical for it to mean the Wings lost Vasilevsky for Quincey.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I was going back a little further.

Nolan
Nedved
Primeau
Ricci
Jagr
Ha. that bugged me for years but then it came out that Jagr had basically made it known he'd only play with the Pens and wouldn't come to the NHL if drafted by anyone else. He rigged the pick.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
The pick I'm more upset about is Pavel Bure.

Wings had him on the board and passed on him in the fifth because they were told by the NHL commissioner that he didn't have enough games but then all of a sudden Vancouver was somehow able to the next round. It wasn't like the Wings wanted a guy and he got sniped. They HAD their guy available at their pick and were told they couldn't take him. ****ing NHL.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
The pick I'm more upset about is Pavel Bure.

Wings had him on the board and passed on him in the fifth because they were told by the NHL commissioner that he didn't have enough games but then all of a sudden Vancouver was somehow able to the next round. It wasn't like the Wings wanted a guy and he got sniped. They HAD their guy available at their pick and were told they couldn't take him. ****ing NHL.

I mean, they almost pulled this from that 1989 draft

Lidstrom - Superstar #1D
Fedorov - Superstar #1C
Bure - Superstar #1W
Konstantinov - Another #1D.

I mean, can you imagine any team landing a draft haul like that in any single draft?

That would be McDavid, Laine, Karlsson, and Ekblad in one draft. It's also a sign of how different drafting was back in the late 80s-early 90s

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If you want to get technical Mike Green could've been a Red Wing as well he was selected with our #29 pick in the Tomas Fleischmann deal for Robert Lang back in 2003 i believe and of course Jacob Chyhcrun in the Datsyuk deal who could've known

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I still like Maata. At the very least I think he's a clear upgrade over guys like Jensen and XO.

Yeah, I guess I don't really remember much about what I wanted at the time.
So I'm going completely by hindsight.
Brady Skjei really impressed me a couple games ago. Big guy. Skates well. Can move with the puck.
After that game I looked him up and learned he posted 39 points as a rookie last year. I'd never even really heard of him.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Ha. that bugged me for years but then it came out that Jagr had basically made it known he'd only play with the Pens and wouldn't come to the NHL if drafted by anyone else. He rigged the pick.

Oh. I didn’t know that. I thought it was due to How Klima was hard to coach.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
If you want to get technical Mike Green could've been a Red Wing as well he was selected with our #29 pick in the Tomas Fleischmann deal for Robert Lang back in 2003 i believe and of course Jacob Chyhcrun in the Datsyuk deal who could've known

I know. Lids and a young Green would have been sweet.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Wings turned in the first NHL draft card for Pavel Bure!

See we were actually going to pick him and got unlucky unlike the guy in the title of the thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad