Varlamov v. Rinne

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Who do u think will have a better chance at succeding at the NHL level?

Can't speak for Rinne, or much on Varlamov to be honest. but what little I've seen for Valamov, he looks to be pretty interesting at this point. he needs some refinement (very raw) but could be an NHL starter down the road.

He is playing pretty well for his RSL team (he came in after they had lost some games and they haven't lost [m]any since he took over).

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Its in the Caps best interest (and probably for the future of the Russian national team too) to get Varlamov over to N.A. ASAP and get him some quality goalie coaching. He has all the tools to be really really good.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Its in the Caps best interest (and probably for the future of the Russian national team too) to get Varlamov over to N.A. ASAP and get him some quality goalie coaching. He has all the tools to be really really good.

I don't know.

They've got a few goalies in the AHL (ECHL) as well that they want to look at.

Max Daigneault (though this year is sink or swim) Darren Machesney and a player or two from past drafts...

I don't think any of them are in Varlamov's potential range, but I think the Caps still have interest in seeing how they develop.

Sutherby

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
I really only see Daigneault as having any NHL potential as far as our NA prospects go. That's not including Neuvirth of course. Varlamov seem to be playing wonderful, he hasn't given the job back since he took it and has started every game since. He's also only lost one game in 9 starts. Does anyone remember any other goalies who started in the Super League as teenagers?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I really only see Daigneault as having any NHL potential as far as our NA prospects go. That's not including Neuvirth of course. Varlamov seem to be playing wonderful, he hasn't given the job back since he took it and has started every game since. He's also only lost one game in 9 starts. Does anyone remember any other goalies who started in the Super League as teenagers?

nabokov played 24 games when he was 19 and khabibulin became a starter when he was 20.

who cares if the caps have a lot of goalies. he can play in the chl for two more years after this season. i think that would be a good place for him to get used to the NA style and he would get much better coaching.

Sutherby

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
nabokov played 24 games when he was 19 and khabibulin became a starter when he was 20.

who cares if the caps have a lot of goalies. he can play in the chl for two more years after this season. i think that would be a good place for him to get used to the NA style and he would get much better coaching.

Thanks I wasn't sure if any had.. and by the looks of it I'd be pleased if he turned out with as much talent as either of them :) He had another strong game yesterday 1-1 tie. But yeah I tend to agree with you, I'd like to see him play in the Q if at all possible. All the goals scored on him would get him ready for our defense :p kidding of course but yeah I would like him to play in the Q. Not sure his standpoint on North America but I guess we shall see.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't know.

They've got a few goalies in the AHL (ECHL) as well that they want to look at.

Max Daigneault (though this year is sink or swim) Darren Machesney and a player or two from past drafts...

I don't think any of them are in Varlamov's potential range, but I think the Caps still have interest in seeing how they develop.
More likely, (kind of like Neuvirth this year) Varlamov could come over and play in junior. I'd like to see him in the WHL for a year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not sure. I'd rather him stay and play in a more difficult league, and then spend time as the starter in the AHL.
The question should be: which league better prepares Varlamov for the style and structure of NHL play. I'm not sure whether the RSL is better prep. compared to the major junior leagues, due to systematic differences in play. Would Varlamov have to make more adjustments when beginning professional hockey play if he didn't first play in the major junior leagues? :dunno:

The Czech. Elite League would have thrown more talent at Neuvirth compared to the OHL, and yet he's gaining valuable experience going up against a more North American style of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad