Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamesfaithful

Sep 22, 2004
Didn't see or hear much about Vanek this year. He obviously put up some good numbers as the second leading goal scorer in the AHL.... but how did he look? Defense improving?... does he still warrant being picked as high as he was in 2003's deep class? Just curious also... would you ever trade away a pick that got you say... Ryan or Pouliot in the next draft for vanek? Thanks :)

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I would imagine about 1/3 of my posts have had the word Vanek in it. When you are picked that high and have points of your game that are not above average it can get blown up under a microscope. Yes his defensive game is not great. IMHO he is not a liabitly either. But at 6 in a deep year you want a guy that is well rounded. Staal is a perfect prospect. He scores and was like a +30 or something. So you can look at one of two ways. He can score we knew that and it is happening. Not a bust there. Cannot argue with 40 goals. He will continue to learn to play D and will be avg to slightly better at best but we need a guy to put the puck in the net. Or you can see. Well, yes he can score but he is not good in his own end and seems to look to score too much. He cannot continue to only score goals. He has to play better D. Otherwise he will not be on the ice enough to put up big numbers in the NHL. I always believe u can teach D, u cannot teach a scorers touch.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not every single player, especially a winger, needs to be great defensively. Vanek is an offensive-goal scoring winger. He will never play against the opponents' offensive line or kill penalties but he'll score a bunch of goals!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Fozz said:
Not every single player, especially a winger, needs to be great defensively. Vanek is an offensive-goal scoring winger. He will never play against the opponents' offensive line or kill penalties but he'll score a bunch of goals!

I've said the same thing about Radulov. I heard that he wasn't TERRIBLE defensively in Quebec this year, but that his playing time was being limited despite being perhaps the best pure goal scorer on his team because his coach thought he wasn't trying as hard defensively as he could have. i think, in nashville at least, we have enough guys that are defensively responsible that pure scorers like radulov...or in buffalo's case vanek...should be allowed to do their thing.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
At most he would have dropped 2 draft spots on mock re-drafts of the 2003 draft. He has done everything that was thought of him, he never was a real stud on defence but I do think hes gotten better with his time in the AHL. Hes not a liability or an asset on defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->