TSN: Vanek to Columbus

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
It will be determined in Columbus if he plays here next year or not. If he wants term or big dollars he will not be playing here. No offense to Vanek as he seems a good fit. If he wants to sign a team friendly one year contract he should be welcomed back. If not, we appreciate your contribution and wish you nothing but good luck in the future. Similar to Sam Gagner last season.

I agree, for a different reason but still agree. Having watched Sam And Thomas play for years, it should be noted that the two names should not be used in the same sentence . Two completely different skill sets. (Those that think Tv is a defensive liability should watch Sam play lol)

Letting TV go could be a good thing given how easy it is to find guys that can actually put the puck in the net at that clip.

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
So could Hartnell, when he wasn't in the box.
Ah, Hartnell....one of my all time favorite Jackets. But Vanek's toolkit includes more offensive tools.

Hartnell could indeed score and get some of this tough goals. He also was good at the redirect, a skill not many Jackets have - Vanek is very, very good at this. On the other hand Vanek's passing - his peripheral vision and anticipation - certainly surpasses Hartnell.

As an aside, toward the end Hartnell did cut down on his time in the cooler proving the old dog can learn new tricks. :D

Reactions: Toe Pick

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Hartnell could indeed score and get some of this tough goals. He also was good at the redirect, a skill not many Jackets have - Vanek is very, very good at this. On the other hand Vanek's passing - his peripheral vision and anticipation - certainly surpasses Hartnell.

Hartnell was doing those wall-passes (four passes break any defence) in the war zone with ease while playing with two yellow beaks in Wennberg and Dano so your praise for Vanek's passing is certainly high. I do not know why it was important for Tortorella and Kekäläinen to drive him off the town, endangering the season of the very team they are supposed to be creating in very much the image of Hartnell. Only to allow lesser men to compete in and for his place.

The whole notion of success and failure detached from the play is strange. No concealed truths can be found if you continue to use and judge names instead of seeking more abstract qualities in the play. Hartnell, Wennberg and Jenner have earned their names as representives of play. Why Wennberg has lifted another soul and his line once again to the highest acclaim? He had no trouble shooting the comeback goal. Four passes break any defence.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Hartnell was doing those wall-passes (four passes break any defence) in the war zone with ease while playing with two yellow beaks in Wennberg and Dano so your praise for Vanek's passing is certainly high. Why Wennberg has lifted another soul and his line once again to the highest acclaim? He had no trouble shooting the comeback goal. Four passes break any defence.

I love Hartnell's play.. for good and bad, & my eye isn't good enough to compare players attributes but I have always been a fan of TV too. The guy just scored his 22nd? playoff goal in 63 games. From his knee with a defender draped on him and goalie whacking him. I wasn't aware of his heart prior to now. That was a Thomas Holmstrom like goal right there - Vanek is a sniper not a crease robber.. loved watching him take it for the team down in the crease. That goal should be played throughout every training camp session. PLD, is really playing well to create that play with a laser pass.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
As long has Vanek is a positive influence in the locker room, I'm not sure why the CBJ wouldn't want him back. One year for sure. There was some silly post about the cap next season, Vanek could easily fit into that. Personally I think he's been a positive veteran influence thus far and we're a very young team. He fills a need. The question is, of course, how does he perform over an entire season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As long has Vanek is a positive influence in the locker room, I'm not sure why the CBJ wouldn't want him back. One year for sure. There was some silly post about the cap next season, Vanek could easily fit into that. Personally I think he's been a positive veteran influence thus far and we're a very young team. He fills a need. The question is, of course, how does he perform over an entire season.

It will take some work to fit him in. Some combination of Calvert gone, Jenner & Murray at below market rates and Dubi bought out/traded for it to be an easy fit. If cap goes to 80 mm then no problem but if it only goes up 3% it is going to be tight.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It will take some work to fit him in. Some combination of Calvert gone, Jenner & Murray at below market rates and Dubi bought out/traded for it to be an easy fit. If cap goes to 80 mm then no problem but if it only goes up 3% it is going to be tight.

I'm looking and if the cbj are willing to spend to cap, I just don't see an issue.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
One year is a total nonissue. It's two or more years that become somewhat problematic because of the need to resign most of our star players all at once.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
One year is a total nonissue. It's two or more years that become somewhat problematic because of the need to resign most of our star players all at once.

Yup. Vanek will be 35 years old by the end of next season. Offer him a 1-year 3MM deal at most, and be done with it. If he finds a multi year deal elsewhere, so be it. But a 1-year deal here may be more attractive to him because he’ll have a good chance at winning a cup in the twilight of his career.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Pumped that I was wrong and he's been a great contributor.

Would love to see him back on a 1 year deal.. and I could probably handle a 2, but 3 would be an absolute no.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Yup. Vanek will be 35 years old by the end of next season. Offer him a 1-year 3MM deal at most, and be done with it. If he finds a multi year deal elsewhere, so be it. But a 1-year deal here may be more attractive to him because he’ll have a good chance at winning a cup in the twilight of his career.

On board with this. He's been great, but we need some flexibility 2 years from now and I'd rather not use that space on a contract to someone on the north side of 35.

If he's tired of getting moved at the trade deadline, I'd be fine with a 1 year deal with a NMC. That offers him some stability, while the Jackets get the cap space flexibility they need for 2019 and beyond.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad