Vanek deal

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=212929&hubName=main

Boy, this is sure as hell going to mess with RFA negotiations from now on. Especially me with Vanek next year :cry:

I don't think there will be a lot of top RFAs signing bargain deals from Reggie anymore.

$50M for four year deal doestn't look to bad given his production. I am sure Reggie will remember Blake when he is negotiating for Vanek.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Reggie is actually wondering when a young goalie will get a decent RFA agreement. As it is, they seem to be the best deal to be had out there (see Ryan Miller contract as an example).

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Reggie is actually wondering when a young goalie will get a decent RFA agreement. As it is, they seem to be the best deal to be had out there (see Ryan Miller contract as an example).[/QUOTE

Maybe four years from now when Rask will probably hit the RFA market.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
With all due respect to Vanek, this is insane. Just a year ago, Lindy Ruff benched Vanek in the playoffs. Now, after ONE good season, the guy gets $7M/year for the next SEVEN years???

The league had better hope that the US Dollar continues to blow, otherwise their ridiculous cap structure is going to crumble. What makes the NFL's hard cap work is that you can cut a player at any time. The NHL is starting to adopt some of the NFL's contract negotiation practices - front-loading contracts and then spreading the cap hit over an insanely long term. The difference is that, when they do this in the NFL, it only has cap consequences. When they do it in the NHL, it has cap AND financial consequences.

Just. Plain. Stupid.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
In this instance, I assign a greater degree of stoopidity to the Oilers, only because I feel for the Sabres after losing both Briere and Drury.

With regard to the Oilers, how is it that a team can play hardball with Ryan Smyth over $500K, and then turn around and make a ludicrous offer to Vanek? :shakehead

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
In this instance, I assign a greater degree of stoopidity to the Oilers, only because I feel for the Sabres after losing both Briere and Drury.

With regard to the Oilers, how is it that a team can play hardball with Ryan Smyth over $500K, and then turn around and make a ludicrous offer to Vanek? :shakehead

I supported Lowe for playing hardball with Smyth. This insane contract offer more than offsets the admiration I gave him for sticking to his guns with Smyth. All Lowe did was make enemies with the Vanek situation.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I supported Lowe for playing hardball with Smyth. This insane contract offer more than offsets the admiration I gave him for sticking to his guns with Smyth. All Lowe did was make enemies with the Vanek situation.

Certainly, Lowe forfeited the right to ever play the "poor small market team" card again. :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->