Confirmed with Link: Vanderbeek Sole Devils Owner

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol you (martyowns) seriously are paranoid, no wonder you take pride in 'not running back'.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
fair enough. IMO, jeff pulled the strings to sign him to get ***** in the seats. and we had the worst start in team history (i think). he is a trapazoid peg in a rhombus hole. we somehow got away from the '5 20 goals scorers' mentality, the lunchpail mentality, that got us 3 cups. for what?

(last season was an irrelevant fluke)

fact is, lou didnt want to sign him. he didnt even want to trade for him. he doesnt even lift! it was all jeff, and i dont like the new direction this club is taking...now with jeff solely at the helm? god help us all
Once again MartyOwns= my favorite poster!

If this stuff with the Hucksterbeek is hopefully over does this mean we'll have the real dollars to re sign our guys now? And remain competitive, and not have to worry about Tedenby being the one to replace Parise, and being a cap floor team for 2 or 3 years?

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
he is a trapazoid peg in a rhombus hole. we somehow got away from the '5 20 goals scorers' mentality, the lunchpail mentality, that got us 3 cups. for what?

fact is, lou didnt want to sign him. he didnt even want to trade for him. he doesnt even lift! it was all jeff, and i dont like the new direction this club is taking...now with jeff solely at the helm? god help us all

Holy revisionist history, Batman!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I would take Kovy over Parise any day. Love how Kovy has the 5th or 6th most votes in the ''Top 10 points leaders in a shortened season'' thread on the main board, and Parise isn't even an option, nor did many people pick him as a write in.

It pissed me off all last season long to see people say ''Our best player'' when referring to Parise. It also pissed me off when somebody said ''Enjoy missing the playoffs again'' when someone spoke of Kovy being captain of this team.

All in all I think MartyOwns was just doing another one of his jimitations!:laugh:

:laugh: forgive me, my vintage thread today was "The All Things Kovalchuk: Part 3". cant help it

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

:laugh: The guy that would have won MVP if the Devils had won a couple more games but it's all just a fluke and we should ignore it happened. Why? You promise the other stuff is real but the domination of Kovy and the strong play of the Devils all last season was a fluke? Come on.

Jeff has been solely at the helm since he bought the team. Even with 47% ownership he was the owner that got the final say in team related things.

Kovy has shown to be a great teammate and a hard worker, I don't know how anybody can be against him on the team. I'd surely take him before Parise, although both is better. :laugh:

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
:laugh: forgive me, my vintage thread today was "The All Things Kovalchuk: Part 3". cant help it

I believe if you can manage to resurrect every run down argument from last season... the lockout will magically end.

You've already got 2, go for the gold. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
:laugh: The guy that would have won MVP if the Devils had won a couple more games but it's all just a fluke and we should ignore it happened. Why?

Because Parise would have won the MVP for turning the series around by scoring a goal when Jonathan Quick was out of his net wandering! Nah forget that Jonathan Quick would have won the Conn Smythe anyway! Well maybe not if he choked away a 3-0 series lead. Claude Giroux probably would have won it!:sarcasm:

No seriously though Kovy would have won it for sure. Kovy or Marty were the most logical options. Henrique could have been a wild card especially if he had a big SCF or scored another OT goal. Still think it was Kovy or Marty. Parise probably had as good of a chance as Bryce Salvador, and even many people feel Sal could have gotten it even before Parise.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I believe if you can manage to resurrect every run down argument from last season... the lockout will magically end.

:laugh: We must be optimistically gearing up for the season*

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i think the only one remaining is parise re-signing...and thats just too depressing to think about. although the reactions to colin white getting bought out were pretty priceless as well

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
i think the only one remaining is parise re-signing...and thats just too depressing to think about. although the reactions to colin white getting bought out were pretty priceless as well

Maybe delve into whether or not fans should chant "You suck!" during our goal song?

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
the thing that i don't get is this.. vanderbeek obviously wants the team to be competitive and remain in NJ. shouldn't we expect that anything VBK succeeds at in terms of the Devils is a good thing? why all this "eh, we don't know if this is good or bad" nonsense? Vanderbeek refinanced the team's debt, he owns the team outright, and disgruntled owners are now out of the picture. This is solely a good thing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I miss Whitey.:(

Not so much to have him play with us again. Would be nice to see him back coaching in the organization maybe. I think he will one day, and it seems almost certain Sarge will also.

Sign the checks Jeff!:laugh:

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
the thing that i don't get is this.. vanderbeek obviously wants the team to be competitive and remain in NJ. shouldn't we expect that anything VBK succeeds at in terms of the Devils is a good thing? why all this "eh, we don't know if this is good or bad" nonsense? Vanderbeek refinanced the team's debt, he owns the team outright, and disgruntled owners are now out of the picture. This is solely a good thing.

At the very least, he's able to bring in partners who will actually cough up their share and help promote the team.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I miss Whitey.:(

Not so much to have him play with us again. Would be nice to see him back coaching in the organization maybe. I think he will one day, and it seems almost certain Sarge will also.

Sign the checks Jeff!:laugh:

Sarge is a special assignment coach, AFAIK, and is a current Devils Alumni rep.

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
I suppose it's possible that he's bitten off more financial responsibility than he can chew.. as a super wealthy businessman,I doubt he'd do that though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sarge is a special assignment coach, AFAIK, and is a current Devils Alumni rep.

Did they name him a special assignment coach? I never saw, but it looked like Lou was trying to get us to think he might take Oates job before they name Matt Shaw.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Did they name him a special assignment coach? I never saw, but it looked like Lou was trying to get us to think he might take Oates job before they name Matt Shaw.

Well I know he's been one at previous camps, so I'm just assuming at this point.

He is 100% an alumni rep though.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
From TG

Gilfillan, the president of Brick City Hockey LLC, issued a statement on the transfer of ownership shares.

“Brick City’s involvement with the Devils was to make professional sports a catalyst for economic development in downtown Newark, along with staging events for concerts and family shows, and to complement performances in the nearby New Jersey Performing Arts Center,” Gilfillan said. “Brick City feels we have accomplished that goal, with Jeff as our partner.

“Our goal to stimulate and facilitate that growth has been achieved, and is obvious to everyone, given how much development has occurred near the Prudential Center and the Performing Arts Center, from what is underway, and is to come.”

Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello maintained throughout that the ownership situation and team debt were not impacting how he conducted his business. Still, he was pleased to have it settled.

“Jeff has worked very hard on this and I’m very happy for him to get it behind him,” Lamoriello said. “I wasn’t involved in the process, but it’s good for him and brings stability to the organization.”

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Gilfillan's comments hit on almost exactly what I've said about him in the past... They really only wanted to make money on other ventures. I.e., hotels and restaurants. Chambers and Gilfillan probably are making a pretty penny on the rest of Newark right now.

Not to mention that the Prudential Center really solidifies Chamber's legacy in Newark history, in my opinion at least.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Maybe delve into whether or not fans should chant "You suck!" during our goal song?

youre in the ballpark, but i think the topic of 'whether or not its ok to boo your team at a home game' (which was a thread, IIRC) is the way to go. and i would begin, but without CJ it just wouldnt be the same. although i could always do a 'Jamietation'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad