Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
650 is so trash, I am effectively done listening to them. I will admit a large part of my bias is formed after listening to linden with rintoul/walker. also seeing some of the tweets from iMac/Cybulski.

they are simply pandering to the Canucks. listen to when linden was on with Sekeres, he gets grilled. When he is on 650, its like a walk in the park..all softies nicely lobbed up.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Andrew Walker is unlistenable. Why do we always get Toronto rejects? They can't hack it there but they can hack it here? No thanks

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Andrew Walker is unlistenable. Why do we always get Toronto rejects? They can't hack it there but they can hack it here? No thanks

He doesn't even seem like a canuck fan. Only talking about them because he's getting paid too. He doesn't seem connected with the team and the city. He brought up the riots as part of his case for excessive negativity in the market.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
He doesn't even seem like a canuck fan. Only talking about them because he's getting paid too. He doesn't seem connected with the team and the city. He brought up the riots as part of his case for excessive negativity in the market.
Yuh. Dude has no clue about Vancouver and is only here because he couldn't make it in Toronto. He followed his pay cheque here. I won't listen to Walker.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

He’s not a Canucks fan or even gives two shits about this team. He’s just here to troll and it’s sad he got hired here.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
Yeah but Pratt yesterday was a fool. He just jumped on the bandwagon. I understand the justifiable anger by the fan base, and even the media, but Pratt himself is un listenable. Him and Bro Jake are IMHO the owrst sports show. If not for their guests of Duchy and Mackenzie and other actual TSN analysts, I can't stand him.
I guess the blo brings in advertising $$ - he contributes zero in terms of sports commentary.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
Just have to say how much I appreciate reading Jason Botchford. The Provies is the best read in Vancouver.

He is the guy who has got our back. He is the guy who gets it and tells it like it is.

Unlike the other Vancouver media shills who never ask or bring up the hard questions. I also have time for JPat.
Agreed - the Provies is the most entertaining sports read out there, bar none. I laugh out loud every time! The other dude, Wyatt, does a super job, too.

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
For sure! He also has headphones in his paper pic, so , along with his way out there nickname (Botch), and his tendency to drop as many f bombs on the Patcast as he can, he's the real zany deal.

Moj (another great nickname) was on with Gallagher today and they were complaining about how eastern media likes to tell the western markets how things really are, despite the local media being right in the centre of it. I agree wholeheartedly, but then why do media outlets here constantly bring on guests from the east to ask their opinion about Vancouver? Cue bass solo!
Gallagher=Great!
bob/moj=doofus

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
I rarely listen to 1040 anymore...I find Sekeres/Price to be absolutely grating ,especially Sekeres,,...He speaks as if his word is gospel,and his armchair GM'ing just exposes what a twit he is....He also sounds like Paul Lynde.

Rintoul is breath fresh air,a lot more low key,but effective discussion.
I refuse to listen to a word of what the boat captain (suckeres) or baby dragon (price) have to say.
Rinty and Walks are excellent.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Agreed - the Provies is the most entertaining sports read out there, bar none. I laugh out loud every time! The other dude, Wyatt, does a super job, too.

I like Wyatt, but he needs to try less hard to be funny sometimes. He's a good writer, but sometimes the jokes feel forced.

On the 31 Thoughts Podcast this week, Friedman opened with his comments on the matter. He basically said he's surprised about the backlash because it's nothing that he hasn't said before about the Vancouver market and Canucks Twitter.

I agree with Botchford overall though. They question management decisions but don't call for anyone to be fired and usually do have the players' backs. They could have been destroying the goaltending all year, or Virtanen, or Loui, etc., but they tend not to.

There is an sizeable faction of fans here who want things done a different way, and it's a good thing that there are a few media guys giving voice to that side of things.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
At 5:00 on the drive home I tuned in to 1040, then realized there would be a long wait before hearing content - sports update, commercials, then the show intro with the siren, then for some reason after that hearing Sekeres introduce the show, then product placement. With Sekeres and Price it's hot take this and tell me I'm wrong that shtick (wih the annoying special effects thrown in), lots of inside jokes, and time wasting. Then when a guest comes on, the banter about the wacky going on of the guest and hosts (yeah Ray, you're doing laundry today huh, hahaha well know how crazy that must be in your house - oh Matt let me tell you when my kids are home on laundry day....)
Compare that to 650 where they went almost gimmick free and commercial free for the better part of 30 minutes. Depending on the time slot, I'll take 650.

Reactions: bobaloo88

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He’s not a Canucks fan or even gives two ****s about this team. He’s just here to troll and it’s sad he got hired here.

He does make an effort to pretend he cares about the Canucks though.

I think 650 has guys with a better radio voice and interviewers (as in they just let the guests talk). But they are less entertaining than 1040 guys and that's not a low bar.

Compare that to 650 where they went almost gimmick free and commercial free for the better part of 30 minutes. Depending on the time slot, I'll take 650.

Commercial free? They have less commercials probably because they have less advertisers? They also end their shows like 10 minutes before the hour.

Reactions: bobaloo88

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
At 5:00 on the drive home I tuned in to 1040, then realized there would be a long wait before hearing content - sports update, commercials, then the show intro with the siren, then for some reason after that hearing Sekeres introduce the show, then product placement. With Sekeres and Price it's hot take this and tell me I'm wrong that shtick (wih the annoying special effects thrown in), lots of inside jokes, and time wasting. Then when a guest comes on, the banter about the wacky going on of the guest and hosts (yeah Ray, you're doing laundry today huh, hahaha well know how crazy that must be in your house - oh Matt let me tell you when my kids are home on laundry day....)
You've done a nice job of describing my pain in trying to listen to 1040. I'll take 650, also.

Reactions: cabinessence

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
He does make an effort to pretend he cares about the Canucks though.

I think 650 has guys with a better radio voice and interviewers (as in they just let the guests talk). But they are less entertaining than 1040 guys and that's not a low bar.

Commercial free? They have less commercials probably because they have less advertisers? They also end their shows like 10 minutes before the hour.
I'll take fewer ads, breaks, et al whenever I can! Also, they cut out about 5-6 mins before the top of the hour, then start right back in about a minute after. Perfect.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I can only stand to listen to Sat, the rest I can't stand and while Retirement Home Radio is playing on 1040 from 12-2 I'll watch twitch or listen to CBC at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad