Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
The funny thing about Walker getting railroaded as the "Toronto guy" is that in Toronto, he got flack for being from the prairies. I don't really enjoy Walker for other reasons, and his attempts to be interested in Vancouver sports seem forced, but the whole "he danced with her and she has cooties" thing is petulant and dumb. Botchford, Sekeres, Cybulski, and others in the Vancouver media are from Ontario. Who cares?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Listened to Batchelor/Hirsch doing play by play on Saturday....I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised..Hirsch in particular brings a genuine enthusiasm,and a good knowledge of the sport...It also illuminates the fact that Abbott/Tomlinson were a real low point in Canucks broadcasting

good to hear. looking forward to catching their act. as someone who grew up listening to hockey on the radio, i have not been able to do more than grit my teeth and endure the radio coverage since shorthouse left the radio.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gotta' love it!.....Green fairly prickly with the media this morning when some doofus reporter kept asking the same question about the opening night roster.....there's no doubt he'll be a different animal in the media scrums....won't suffer fools gladly, of which there seems to be an ungodly number of them covering the Canucks these days.....no more of those pregnant pauses and 'real good' throwaway lines from Willie.....Green won't likely be as bad as Torts, but then I have no problem with him calling out dumb reporter questions when the need arises.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Gotta' love it!.....Green fairly prickly with the media this morning when some doofus reporter kept asking the same question about the opening night roster.....there's no doubt he'll be a different animal in the media scrums....won't suffer fools gladly, of which there seems to be an ungodly number of them covering the Canucks these days.....no more of those pregnant pauses and 'real good' throwaway lines from Willie.....Green won't likely be as bad as Torts, but then I have no problem with him calling out dumb reporter questions when the need arises.

I kind of liked Torts in that regard, he was too short with the media sometimes when he was in a bad mood, which was nearly all the time in Vancouver. But he called out lazy reporting. "Don't say talk about it, ask a question".

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The funny thing about Walker getting railroaded as the "Toronto guy" is that in Toronto, he got flack for being from the prairies. I don't really enjoy Walker for other reasons, and his attempts to be interested in Vancouver sports seem forced, but the whole "he danced with her and she has cooties" thing is petulant and dumb. Botchford, Sekeres, Cybulski, and others in the Vancouver media are from Ontario. Who cares?

Let's not forget Tomlinson actually PLAYED for the Leafs.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
650 is getting better. Listened to the afternoon show and very much enjoyed the content. No dumb stuff like "DTMZ" or cheap crap like that. I don't understand why Don Taylor and Moj think we care what dead tv stars birthday it is.

Also Moj should NOT be calling Lions games. You can't even tell what's going on in the game because he's busy talking about other stuff. I was trying to listen to the game a couple weeks back on my way home from work and 2 plays went by and the Lions has to punt but I had no idea those plays even happened because he was just chatting with Julio.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
650 is getting better. Listened to the afternoon show and very much enjoyed the content. No dumb stuff like "DTMZ" or cheap crap like that. I don't understand why Don Taylor and Moj think we care what dead tv stars birthday it is.
Ya, that whole DTMZ and birthday segment must let go.

Reactions: The Stig

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014

Also Moj should NOT be calling Lions games. You can't even tell what's going on in the game because he's busy talking about other stuff. I was trying to listen to the game a couple weeks back on my way home from work and 2 plays went by and the Lions has to punt but I had no idea those plays even happened because he was just chatting with Julio.

I absolutely agree. I thought to myself when Brendan Batchelor became the 'Nucks pbp guy, wow, now we have two competent pbp's in Rinty and Batch, until Rinty abdicated and the cigar-smoking, chorizo-engorged bob "I'll tell you a story" moj came on the scene. Now I can only listen to one radio broadcast and that's the 'Nucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Stig

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I listen a fair amount during work and have been flipping back and forth. It's hard for me to pick one over the other since I don't really find any of the options all that great:

Early morning shows: Bro Jake and Pratt vs. Cybulski/Darling/Laurence

There's actually something to be said about getting a reaction out of the listener rather than being bored to tears. Jake and Pratt can make you foam at the mouth in anger or stare blankly in disbelief as to what you're hearing.

I do not buy Darling as a sports authority at all. I heard him say something about signing an NHLer to a one year deal plus a team option for 2nd year a couple weeks ago. If you think that is possible you shouldn't be paid for talking sports. Mira is offering nothing other than reading off a page to get opinions from the other two guys. She's out of her depth here and no I'm not pulling a Cam Newton and saying it's because she's a woman. I'm sure there's a female who could fill this role and offer some informed opinions. As for Cybulski, I'm not really a fan either. Some of what he says comes across as though he's trying to sound like one of the cool kids... but it's not working.

Morning shows: Kurtenbloggers vs. Sat & Jawn Jang

Halford and Brough know their stuff. Sometimes it regresses into juvenile humour and if I'm in the mood for that I can listen to Jim Rome. That said, it's one of the better programs.

I like Sat but he's got a long way to go as a broadcaster. He brought a reasoned voice to the Bro Jake show but now he's got a lot more on his plate and it comes across as a little unnatural and choppy at times. I'm sure it will improve since he's a rookie. Jawn Jang is kind of the homer "rah rah" guy who is going to overrate his favourites and "WOO" like Ric Flair multiple times. Right now this show kind of feels like a couple of sports crazed buddies who just started up their own podcast.

Afternoon shows: Donny and Moj vs. Perry Solkowski and Randip Janda
I agree with the consensus on Donny and Moj. You're never going to get any great insight. It's just kind of lazy and childish. Celebrity birthdays, entertainment news, old man music and mocking Big Ry. That's it.

Solkowski and Janda. Boring.

Late afternoon shows: Sekeres and Price vs. Rintoul and Walker

Sekeres is whiny and Price can be condescending and pompous. Whether you agree with their opinions or not, at least they are informed.

I've always like Scotty. Just seems like a good dude. He seems a little "safe" in his sports takes for me as to not offend anyone but I like him. I'm not buying this new guy Walker in this market. It's tough to fly someone in and then he has to act like he cares if Jake Virtanen makes the Canucks. Maybe it will come with time.

I actually lean toward 1040 for everything I think. Yikes. But I will still keep switching back and forth. This is not an endorsement of 1040 at all. I'd categorize 1040 as often juvenile, lazy and obnoxious and 650 as kind of dull.

member 290103

I was excited to see Sat get a show on Sportsnet, but man is it bland. I can't handle it and have even gone back to Donny and the Moj. I think he needs to consider bringing in a polished host who can run the show and use him as the second.....like Sekeres does for Price or like BMac used to do for Donny and the Moj. The show is terrible as it stands.

Gotta say that from what I have heard of 650, it has a ways to go. 1040 should take up some of our advice and lock in their audience here. Turf Blo, get rid of old boys weekend talk on Donny and the Moj, drop the birthdays, get Big Ry off the air, etc. Donny and the Moj when talking sports is generally ok - even if they are slightly out of touch. Pratt would be ok, if he had a host that was reasonable and tapped in.

Sekeres and Price remains the gold standard for talk radio in Vancouver. Best show by a long shot.

Feb 24, 2017
I dunno. When I want to experience people being all hardcore sports obsessed, I have this website to poke around. Lots of people here who obviously take sports seriously and want to talk about it in excruciating detail. I don’t hate when the guys on the radio lean a little more towards fun and entertainment. I get plenty of “informed” guests in the insiders they bring in.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Anyone know why Shorthouse wasn't calling the game on CBC last night when Batchelor was doing the radio pbp?
There's something new with the Sportsnet contract where Batchelor does all 82 games on the radio regardless of whether Shorthouse has the TV call. So Shorthouse has to sit out most of the CBC games (I think he's on HNIC sometimes for less marquee Saturday games when only Canucks fans are watching.)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
wow, I thought it was just me, finding the 650 is dull and boring.

A lot of people called it as soon as 650 released their schedule. It lacked any form of personality at all. They were probably responding to the regular criticism of TSN 1040 (i.e. too many personalities and old-school hosts), but they went way too far in the other direction. It's paint-dry radio. I can't listen to basically anything their doing outside of the analyst spots and when they bring in guests from Toronto (yuck).

If you're going to do all-day sports talk radio it needs to be dynamic and entertaining. They (650) are lacking a flagship host and should go out and spend some money on talent.

member 290103

A lot of people called it as soon as 650 released their schedule. It lacked any form of personality at all. They were probably responding to the regular criticism of TSN 1040 (i.e. too many personalities and old-school hosts), but they went way too far in the other direction. It's paint-dry radio. I can't listen to basically anything their doing outside of the analyst spots and when they bring in guests from Toronto (yuck).

If you're going to do all-day sports talk radio it needs to be dynamic and entertaining. They (650) are lacking a flagship host and should go out and spend some money on talent.

For sure. They need to fix it fast. They have some good personalities/opinions, but no flair. Sat needs a host. He also needs to integrate more callers into his show. His back and forth with Alex Auld or Joey Kenward is horrible.

To be honest, I miss the midday show on 1040. I don't have time to listen to drive time Sekeres and Price.

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
Was in Vancouver the other day and was pleased to hear the Kurtenbloggers are once again on YVR airwaves. Their Saturday morning/afternoon show a few years ago was a breath a fresh air in a then stagnant Vancouver radio media boys club (doesn't sound like a lot has changed on that front). I like listening to sports radio hosts who really know what they're talking about (go figure! :laugh:), and they seem far more knowledgeable than many others in the market, even those who have been in the game for several decades.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Was in Vancouver the other day and was pleased to hear the Kurtenbloggers are once again on YVR airwaves. Their Saturday morning/afternoon show a few years ago was a breath a fresh air in a then stagnant Vancouver radio media boys club (doesn't sound like a lot has changed on that front). I like listening to sports radio hosts who really know what they're talking about (go figure! :laugh:), and they seem far more knowledgeable than many others in the market, even those who have been in the game for several decades.

seconded

unlike most of the vancouver media that lives in an airtight bubble, they've been able to get exposure to the entire league over the past five years at nbc sports and as a result are way more knowledgeable about the current state of the nhl than most of the other radio talents that seem stuck in the 90s

must say that i really enjoyed the return of ralph rantinago last friday as well (kind of wish martinago could be a semi-regular third host once a week or so as their chemistry is so fluid)

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Regarding Boeser not in the linejup for the first two games of the season, it seems the media (incluidng at least Postmedia, Canucksarmy and passittobulis) has screamed over the lineup just as much as the most angered of the fans, even excoriating Green after the players that might have sat for Boeser against the Oilers played well and the team won against superior opposition while playing an exciting brand of hockey.

If the coach is going to face this kind of media reaction after his team performs this way in its season opener, it must be really, really tough to be the Canucks' head coach in the Vancouver market.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Regarding Boeser not in the linejup for the first two games of the season, it seems the media (incluidng at least Postmedia, Canucksarmy and passittobulis) has screamed over the lineup just as much as the most angered of the fans, even excoriating Green after the players that might have sat for Boeser against the Oilers played well and the team won against superior opposition while playing an exciting brand of hockey.

If the coach is going to face this kind of media reaction after his team performs this way in its season opener, it must be really, really tough to be the Canucks' head coach in the Vancouver market.
Well, duh. What else is he expecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->