Vancouver gets 2006 WJCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Any idea when ticket packages will go on sale? Did they have to sell a preliminary amount to get the games? Or is this information all going to be released closer to 2006.

Dr_Chimera*

It's all about the climate. It can be really cold here in Ottawa and I'm sure quite cold in these other cities.
(That and bribes;))

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Puckz said:
Any idea when ticket packages will go on sale? Did they have to sell a preliminary amount to get the games? Or is this information all going to be released closer to 2006.
Well that is the suspicious part of this bid. The committee did not pre-sell any packages. Instead they got people to put down signatures. And from that they made an estimate as to what these games could make in Vancouver. What a load of something.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
GOTEAM said:
Well that is the suspicious part of this bid. The committee did not pre-sell any packages. Instead they got people to put down signatures. And from that they made an estimate as to what these games could make in Vancouver. What a load of something.

Suspicious? Give me a break. The games could sell out in pretty much any city in Canada, so pre-selling packages is totally a moot point. It's pretty disappointing to see so much sour grapes and whining, especially from Hunt of the Ottawa bid.

RutlandRalph

Dr_Chimera said:
It's all about the climate. It can be really cold here in Ottawa and I'm sure quite cold in these other cities.
(That and bribes;))

well honeslty where would u rather be...saskatoon where its what -20 or in vancouver where it is, somedays, still +10

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
RutlandRalph said:
well honeslty where would u rather be...saskatoon where its what -20 or in vancouver where it is, somedays, still +10

Saskatoon/Regina would have been a strong choice, the region has proven to throw great sporting events i.e. The Grey Cup, Scott tournament of hearts, memorial cup. No matter what the event, there is always a strong showing. If it was based on "climate" well then that's lame.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
incawg said:
Suspicious? Give me a break. The games could sell out in pretty much any city in Canada, so pre-selling packages is totally a moot point. It's pretty disappointing to see so much sour grapes and whining, especially from Hunt of the Ottawa bid.

Hunt feels he has been shafted the last 2 attempts, with the decision having been made before the bids were presented. THIS is why he is annoyed.....

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Egil said:
Hunt feels he has been shafted the last 2 attempts, with the decision having been made before the bids were presented. THIS is why he is annoyed.....

If he really knew that it was pre-determined all along, then why did he even bid? Just sounds like sour grapes to me.

BCCHL inactive

incawg said:

Exactly. All this whining and crying about how the tournament hasn't been to Ontario since 197? is useless...it has never been to British Columbia.

And although the point is moot, whoever said that Vancouver to Victoria is 3 hours......it is a 90 minute ferry ride.

Dr_Chimera*

Seriously though, I agree with Jeff HUnt - it was all fixed in favour of prepping Vancouver for the Olympics.
Granted, I wasn't there for teh presentations, but c'mon... Common sense:)

BCCHL inactive

canucklehead17 said:
I wouldn't call Winnipeg "west" man...

Why not? An NHL team in Winnipeg would play in the Western Conference, the Blue Bombers play in the CFL West Division, Manitoba's Midget AAA hockey champion faces Saskatchewan's champ for the right to represent the West for the Hockey Canada National Midget Championship....

Winnipeg is a Western Canadian city.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
Why not? An NHL team in Winnipeg would play in the Western Conference, the Blue Bombers play in the CFL West Division, Manitoba's Midget AAA hockey champion faces Saskatchewan's champ for the right to represent the West for the Hockey Canada National Midget Championship....

Winnipeg is a Western Canadian city.

Only if you don't bother naming a central Canada. Usually when people devide the country they think of east, west, and central.

BCCHL inactive

jin said:
Only if you don't bother naming a central Canada. Usually when people devide the country they think of east, west, and central.

I disagree with that. Look at the CHL...the Western Hockey League encompasses BC to Manitoba.

You hear people talking about the Prairies, but it is common knowledge (at least out west) that the Prairies are part of Western Canada.

bindlerotor

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
incawg said:

This is exactly how Hunt responded when Halifax got it. The man can't admit that any other bid could be as could as his, so there must be a conspiracy going on. I got screwed, wah wah wah.

All the other losing bidders seem to be able to accept defeat graciously, but not Hunt.

Face it - all the bids were good. Somebody had to win and the rest have to accept it. Most do so with class. He doesn't.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
bindlerotor said:
This is exactly how Hunt responded when Halifax got it. The man can't admit that any other bid could be as could as his, so there must be a conspiracy going on. I got screwed, wah wah wah.

All the other losing bidders seem to be able to accept defeat graciously, but not Hunt.

Face it - all the bids were good. Somebody had to win and the rest have to accept it. Most do so with class. He doesn't.

An interesting article on the bids, which essentially confirms that the entire Bid process was a SHAM.

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawa....html?id=534422df-352b-4512-9b9f-601cad058a19

Note the key comments (Ottawas bid had better financials, the Olympics were a BIG factor, etc.). What sparks the "anger" in Hunt is that these bid processes have essentially turned into a waste of time, as the decision has been made before the bids have really been made. So why bother doing them if the winner is pre-picked? The same anoyance is probably felt by Halifax and Winnipeg, who weren't going to get it no matter what, due their recent hosting. So why even pretend that they could get the tournament?

The entire process is fubar to the extreme, which is why you see the criticisms from Hunt.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Egil said:
An interesting article on the bids, which essentially confirms that the entire Bid process was a SHAM.

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawa....html?id=534422df-352b-4512-9b9f-601cad058a19

Note the key comments (Ottawas bid had better financials, the Olympics were a BIG factor, etc.). What sparks the "anger" in Hunt is that these bid processes have essentially turned into a waste of time, as the decision has been made before the bids have really been made. So why bother doing them if the winner is pre-picked? The same anoyance is probably felt by Halifax and Winnipeg, who weren't going to get it no matter what, due their recent hosting. So why even pretend that they could get the tournament?

The entire process is fubar to the extreme, which is why you see the criticisms from Hunt.

That entire article is just more whining by Hunt. Ottawa had better financials? Where are the figures? Oh, he won't disclose them. Sounds like a load of hooey to me. The olympics were a factor? Of course they were. Everyone knew that they would be before this entire process started. What's wrong with that? I can understand Hunt's frustration but all this whining does it make him look like a poor loser.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
incawg said:
It's pretty disappointing to see so much sour grapes and whining, especially from Hunt of the Ottawa bid.
If I organized a bid in which at least 18,071 seat deposits were sold, I'd be pretty mad myself.

BCCHL inactive

FlyersFan said:
If I organized a bid in which at least 18,071 seat deposits were sold, I'd be pretty mad myself.

As would anybody else. However, to whine and cry constantly and to accuse Hockey Canada of screwing you is going too far.

With the Olympics coming to Vancouver in 2010, it was obvious in my view that Vancouver was by far the favourite for the 2006 World U20 Championship.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Van said:
As would anybody else. However, to whine and cry constantly and to accuse Hockey Canada of screwing you is going too far.

With the Olympics coming to Vancouver in 2010, it was obvious in my view that Vancouver was by far the favourite for the 2006 World U20 Championship.
http://www.canada.com/saskatoon/story.asp?id=D738B7BD-4394-4937-8DB4-545E0C7A50E0

"Vancouver is not the place I would have guessed. I missed that call." - Joe Bloski, Saskatoon bid chairman.

Vancouver was never the "favorite". There was no favorite going in.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
GOTEAM said:
http://www.canada.com/saskatoon/story.asp?id=D738B7BD-4394-4937-8DB4-545E0C7A50E0

"Vancouver is not the place I would have guessed. I missed that call." - Joe Bloski, Saskatoon bid chairman.

Vancouver was never the "favorite". There was no favorite going in.

Then why is Hunt so mad? His bid wasn't the favorite either. The only way that Hunt's whining would be justified would be if Ottawa was clearly a superior bid. It wasn't. It was a competition, he lost. It wasn't "rigged".

And as has been mentioned many times, the seat deposit figures are totally irrelevant. This event will sellout in any significant market it canada. 18k ticket packages is nothing special.

YellHockey*

incawg said:
Then why is Hunt so mad? His bid wasn't the favorite either. The only way that Hunt's whining would be justified would be if Ottawa was clearly a superior bid. It wasn't. It was a competition, he lost. It wasn't "rigged".

Wasn't rigged? Hockey Canada stated on several occasions the criteria that they were using to determine the winning bid. Not once did they mention the Olympics. Jeff Hunt asked them if Vancouver hosting the Olympics would give them the bid and they said it wouldn't. Now that the decision has been made Bob Nicholson is talking about how the Olympics were a factor in the decision.

Besides, how can anyone know who had the superior bid? Hockey Canada hasn't said a damn thing about how the various bids stacked up against each other. They just said that Vancouver was the had the best combination of factors.

You would think that with two of the three voting members being from British Columbia that they would reveal in detail what made Vancouver the superior bid. But they haven't and that in itself is telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad