Vancouver confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
What a shock, another announced WHA team with no lease in place yet :eek: .

Toronto is already out(http://www.tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=93575) and slowly the rest will all end up like them, complaining a lease can't be done then eventually shutting down a league that STILL does not have any building leases in place(that i've seen) or 1 player or coach under contract just 2 1/2 months before it's supposed to start :lol .

This thing had some major potential, but they've wasted it and time is running out to get it back.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
RyanM said:
Toronto is already out(http://www.tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=93575) and slowly the rest will all end up like them, complaining a lease can't be done then eventually shutting down a league that STILL does not have any building leases in place(that i've seen) or 1 player or coach under contract just 2 1/2 months before it's supposed to start :lol .

To be fair, Detroit does have a lease at the Silverdome and has Moe Mantha signed to coach. But that's it.

Avery4Byng*

I agree it sounds like a joke. But come October when there is no NHL I just MIGHT tune into some games...... :shakehead

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Interesting that Orca Bay would let them into GM Place (if that's true - we've seen that kind of "optimism" from the WHA before.) Seems a bit strange to allow a competitor to use your building, even if the NHL is locked out, but it'd also give an NHL club some serious power over the WHA. If they dictate the lease terms, the second the Blazers have trouble making a payment (and you know it's going to happen), the Canucks can boot them out and they're suddenly homeless. Not good for the WHA.

Avery4Byng*

Russian_fanatic said:
You got the Kelowna Rockets :shakehead
Yes very true, and I have season tickets as well. But I mean come on, what a winter without Hockey Night In Canada........ :shakehead

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Scottkmlps said:
No, it might not be the Blazers. They need permission from the Kamloops Blazers to use the name 'Blazers' cause of legal matters.
That's just what I heard on the radio this morning.

Erm, that seems a bit odd to me. It's not like the Dallas franchise needed permission from the Rochester Americans to use that name. Besides, the original WHA team in Vancouver (in the mid 70s) was called the Blazers. It seems to me that they would only need permission if they were going to be using the same logo.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
incawg said:
Erm, that seems a bit odd to me. It's not like the Dallas franchise needed permission from the Rochester Americans to use that name. Besides, the original WHA team in Vancouver (in the mid 70s) was called the Blazers. It seems to me that they would only need permission if they were going to be using the same logo.

The Winnipeg Jets needed permission from the NFL's NY Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad