Vancouver attendance for Canada-Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
After all three Canada games having been announced at 16083, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's capacity, as someone above stated.

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
vancouver has been the worse canadian crowd we have had yet

i think ottawa woulda been a more logical choice to host the tourny

Macman

May 15, 2004
I was under the impression these games have been sold out for months. I'm guessing that 16,038 is the capacity for the tournament and that the other seats are taken up by broadcast facilities, extra media etc.

The crowd is ridiculously quiet, though, and had better pump it up.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Macman said:
The crowd is ridiculously quiet, though, and had better pump it up.

Here's a repeat post from an old thread:

The Crowd

This is my 3rd World Jrs that I've attended ('99 in Winnipeg, '05 in Grand Forks, and '06 here in Vancouver).

Obviously out of the three, Winnipeg was head and shoulders above either of the other two. However, disappointingly the Grand Forks crowds at only 11,000+ in attendance (capacity) were much louder than the 1st 2 Canada game crowds this year. I don't know what it is, but the crowd isn't fully in the game it seems. They react to all the right things in the game, but they aren't that loud about it. Even the goals, the crowd gets loud, but for only 10 seconds...not full minutes as was the case in Grand Forks and Winnipeg. Maybe its something to do with NHL-starved fans in Winnipeg. Another significant example is when Canada comes out for the start of the game/period. Its practically DEAD. The announcer fails to announce "here is Team Canada"...so then the cheers get slowly louder as they all notice Team Canada comes out...oh well.

I attended the Canucks-Nashville crowd immediately after the Canada game last night, and the Canucks game blew the Canada game out of the water. Perhaps Vancouver is Canucks country and is having a difficult time getting as intense for Team Canada. I'm hoping for a ROWDY Can-USA crowd as well as the medal round.

I don't know if any arena will ever reach the sound levels the Winnipeg Arena reached, that entire tournament was absolutely ridiculous.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
A few comments on this topic:

By far most importantly, the games are atrocious due to the refereeing. It's extremely difficult for people to get excited over these absolutely horrid games. Everyone in the crowd talks the entire game about essentially nothing but the officiating and what a complete and utter joke it is. Don't even try to tell me that this is no different than any other tournament, because to date this is the WORST reffed tournament I have ever seen, and indeed, the worst reffed hockey of any kind I've ever seen.

Secondly, I thought the Finland game was quite loud and had a good atmosphere, which has been the only real game so far. I expect the Canada USA game to have a great atmosphere providing the reffing isn't as brutal as in the last few games.

Lastly, I challenge anyone to find me a tournament where Switzerland vs. Norway has attracted over 11,900 fans. That's not sold tickets, that's turnstile entry (they count you when they scan your ticket). The non Canadian games have been extremely well attended, and the support of the tournament overall - not just the Canadian team - has far exceeded my expectations, and any other tournament in the past. Switzerland Norway has been the lowest attended game so far, and still drew 3/4 capacity at about 12000, and the other games have been for the most part nearly full so far.

Noise level is not the end all be all of crowds anyway. It's an intelligent crowd, just not very noisy yet because it's hard to be interested in the garbage being passed off as hockey so far. The only thing that bugs me about the crowd here is the clear anti American feeling. If I thought it were purely a hockey rivalry thing, it would be fine, but pent up frustration due to American politics, foreign policy, etc, as well as a general undercurrent of blind anti Americanism that seems to be ingrained in Canadian culture manifesting itself as booing 18 and 19 year old kids is dumb. But let's not get into that again.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Players have repeatedly mentioned how the crowd has picked them up at key times in many games at all levels. A purely reactionary crowd only plays into the "vistors" hands. I would like to see the fans get into the games a little more, but as you point out, the tournament has been extremely well attended in Vancouver.

How have the games in Kamloops and Kelonwa fared? As I recall, the games outside of Halifax a few years ago (Sydney?) did not draw as well as expected.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Resolute said:
How have the games in Kamloops and Kelonwa fared? As I recall, the games outside of Halifax a few years ago (Sydney?) did not draw as well as expected.

They're averaging 5000-6000 per game so far.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
_habsfan9 said:
vancouver has been the worse canadian crowd we have had yet

i think ottawa woulda been a more logical choice to host the tourny
don't agree at all..
the crowd has been great.

i

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Every game in the Halifax - Sydney event (3 years ago) was sold out months in advance.

Canada played all of their games in Halifax (the much larger of the cities), and I have never seen a more enthusiastic crowd.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Bring the games back to winnipeg and halifax. These are the only cities that know how to host a tournament and cheer for team canada. Vancouver is a disgrace!

BCCHL inactive

Hart_House_Ca said:
Bring the games back to winnipeg and halifax. These are the only cities that know how to host a tournament and cheer for team canada. Vancouver is a disgrace!

Yeah, because the fans in Vancouver aren't cheering for Team Canada. :dunce:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:

:shakehead I've been to two of the games so far and I'd hardly call it a disgrace. Sorry, but I couldn't find anything to cheer for the last two games considering the refs put me to sleep. We'll see how it is tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be very loud, but this event is drawing huge attendance either way.

The tournament's always going to be more well-received in smaller communities than a big city like Vancouver that has a billion other events going on.

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
Greg7 said:
Lastly, I challenge anyone to find me a tournament where Switzerland vs. Norway has attracted over 11,900 fans. That's not sold tickets, that's turnstile entry (they count you when they scan your ticket). The non Canadian games have been extremely well attended, and the support of the tournament overall - not just the Canadian team - has far exceeded my expectations, and any other tournament in the past. Switzerland Norway has been the lowest attended game so far, and still drew 3/4 capacity at about 12000, and the other games have been for the most part nearly full so far.

I'm really happy to hear this; it's great to see the whole tournament being supported well.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Another attendace thread.

Why can't people just watch Hockey and not worry about how many people are in the stands.

AgentNaslund*

keep in mind 3:30 PM times, is not a very popular time for any hockey games just so we can accomindate those guys in the east.

AgentNaslund*

Gnashville said:
Another attendace thread.

Why can't people just watch Hockey and not worry about how many people are in the stands.

it determines wether the city is a true hockey city or not. Personally, I think its something stupid to talk about.

ZadorovNJD*

Even in the World Juniors forum there's a thread about attendance and moving to Winnipeg. :biglaugh:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Red said:
The tournament's always going to be more well-received in smaller communities than a big city like Vancouver that has a billion other events going on.
yes
AgentNaslund said:
keep in mind 3:30 PM times, is not a very popular time for any hockey games just so we can accomindate those guys in the east.
and yes.

Combine that with brutal reffing, and that is why the crowd hasn't been rocking. It was damn loud at the Finland game, that is the only one I have been to though.

OilerNut*

I sometimes wonder if it is quieter because of the building design that it doesn't reflect the sound as much? I don't know... :dunno:

And another thing I don't see any mics above the rink for sound, so maybe the crowd isn't picked up as much.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
OilerNut said:
I sometimes wonder if it is quieter because of the building design that it doesn't reflect the sound as much? I don't know... :dunno:
This has also crossed my mind. You would think that regardless of how quiet the crowd is, that simply by the much larger than normal (for a WJ tournament I mean) crowd that fits inside the Coliseum it would be loud. We will find out in the medal round when it heads downtown to GM Place I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->