Van Riemsdyk vs Turris

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Who would you pick first?

I know it was just 1 game, but Van Riemsdyk really impressed me with his strengh, speed and hands. He was really hard to knock off the puck and made great dekes.

Turris was good, but he is really tiny and weak.(edited) He does have a great shot, but from what I saw, I would take JVR Before him...

What do you think?

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Many people seem to be thinking that Kane, Voracek and Turris will be the top three picks (in no specific order). I would be quite glad to see the Kings select Van Riemsdyk with the 4th overall pick.

I do think Turris has a much higher ceiling, as JVR can turn out to be a pretty decent two-way player who can chip in with 20-30 goals, Turris can be a special top line center, similar to Spezza but with better wheels and scoring ability (and less of a playmaker).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Many people seem to be thinking that Kane, Voracek and Turris will be the top three picks (in no specific order). I would be quite glad to see the Kings select Van Riemsdyk with the 4th overall pick.

I do think Turris has a much higher ceiling, as JVR can turn out to be a pretty decent two-way player who can chip in with 20-30 goals, Turris can be a special top line center, similar to Spezza but with better wheels and scoring ability (and less of a playmaker).

I don't think Turris has demonstrated a higher ceiling than JVR at all. It will be interesting to see how both fare in college next year-at Wisconsin and New Hampshire respectfully.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Van Riemsdyk has cracked that top tier, currently reserved for Turris, Kane and Voracek. JVR is a good player, but I think the other three are a notch above him.

toastman344*

From what I have seen ...I would take JVR without thinking twice ! and that's coming from a Canuck who can't be accused of a pro Yank bias....JVR is so much bigger and stronger...and I can't see how Turris has a higher ceiling ? Maybe if he puts on a lot of muscle/bulks up...But that's a Big Maybe in my books...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't think Van Riemsdyk has cracked that top tier, currently reserved for Turris, Kane and Voracek. JVR is a good player, but I think the other three are a notch above him.

Turris has done nothing to show he's a notch above JVR. I think JVR managed to get into the top 3 late in the year. He was there for a month or two and is back again, IMO.

Kane/Voracek and then JVR.

fancy dan*

Turris has done nothing to show he's a notch above JVR. I think JVR managed to get into the top 3 late in the year. He was there for a month or two and is back again, IMO.

done nothing? did you see turris' stats in the bchl? turris who is young for this years draft had 78 goals, 69 assists for 147 points. thats 2.2 points a game. he had 18 more goals than the 2nd guy who was a 20 year old. his numbers are far better than zajac (who was older) and as mention above, his coach has stated he is better than gomez at that age. he was the MVP of the royal bank cup as a 16 year old. frankly, i think if a team lands turris with the third pick, they are hitting the lottery... statistically, this kid looks really really special.

toastman344*

And yet JVR looked bigger, stronger, better in head to head competition...I dont think that's in doubt...

ELab2

Apr 9, 2007
Atlantic City
Powerforwards make me a little nervous. They often look better predraft because most of them are physically more mature at that point than other players but for some reason teams around the league have had trouble developing power forwards with a high skill level. There aren't many powerforwards in the league today who are really really skilled and developed into great NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad