Van Riemsdyk stats?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Regardless of how and under what circumstances teams are put together for this thing it looks like this year is shaping up to be a good tournament.Several teams seem to be quite good and Canada seems to have a stronger unit assembled then the past couple of years,stronger in the sense that winning gold does'nt seem to be out of reach against a talented and prepared U.S squad.

A final against those two teams would be a doozy this year. I'm thinking about calling in sick to work at this point.

Last time out salmonella poisoning was used as the excuse,gotta come up with something new this time.

Not sure yet what it will be.I'm busy thinking about it though.

Tell them you have an upper-body injury. That seems to work.:sarcasm:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Then the team that has played and practiced together for two years goes to Europe to compete in the World Under-18 Championships. They lose to a B-team from Canada that was put together the week before.

That is my understanding of how the NTDP works.

Apparently not this year, my friend.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I apologize, and stand corrected.

They lose (twice) to a team from Russia that was put together the week before.

Lost in the Gold Medal game by 1 goal... But beat Canada when it counted. Nice performance by the Canadian team vs. Sweden, BTW.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Lost in the Gold Medal game by 1 goal... But beat Canada when it counted. Nice performance by the Canadian team vs. Sweden, BTW.

Any team of world class 17-year-olds that plays and practices together for two years should make easy work of any team of world class 17-year-olds that has played and practiced together for a week. That the U.S. lost three games at this tournament is an embarassment, in my opinion. It certainly would be in Canada, given the money spent and the relatively tiny number of players it supposedly benefits.

In this age group, "when it counted" in Canada is the summer U-18 World Cup, when every country has an equal opportunity to send its best players. I believe Canada is 10 for 12 at that event.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Any team of world class 17-year-olds that plays and practices together for two years should make easy work of any team of world class 17-year-olds that has played and practiced together for a week. That the U.S. lost three games at this tournament is an embarassment, in my opinion. It certainly would be in Canada, given the money spent and the relatively tiny number of players it supposedly benefits.

In this age group, "when it counted" in Canada is the summer U-18 World Cup, when every country has an equal opportunity to send its best players. I believe Canada is 10 for 12 at that event.

+1

Plus the U-20 in which every team has equal opportunity is dominated by Canada and Russia, not the U.S. So laugh all you want SPG, Canada can laugh countless other times.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
+1

Plus the U-20 in which every team has equal opportunity is dominated by Canada and Russia, not the U.S. So laugh all you want SPG, Canada can laugh countless other times.

le_sean - First of all, I'm not "laughing" about anything here. I'm not discrediting Canada's international success and I'm certainly not trying to turn this into a flame fest. My comments were in reference to this quote from Juan:

Then the team that has played and practiced together for two years goes to Europe to compete in the World Under-18 Championships. They lose to a B-team from Canada that was put together the week before.

That is my understanding of how the NTDP works.

USA Hockey has its problems, but thats just a ridiculous and ignorant comment when talking about the U18's.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Two things:

1) The U.S. U18 team is not the best collection of under 18 talent the U.S. has to offer. Yes, there are built in advantages of cohesion and familiarity, but anything can happen in an one and done tourney.

2) I would see this is best collection of Canadian talent that's been iced in this tourney. Very talented throughout, and I don't consider it a disgrace to lose to them or the Russians for that matter. Chemistry is important, but talent and execution more so at times.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
le_sean - First of all, I'm not "laughing" about anything here. I'm not discrediting Canada's international success and I'm certainly not trying to turn this into a flame fest. My comments were in reference to this quote from Juan:

USA Hockey has its problems, but thats just a ridiculous and ignorant comment when talking about the U18's.

Not sure how my comment can be "ridiculous and ignorant" when, although said tongue-in-cheek, it was technically 100% factual.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Not sure how my comment can be "ridiculous and ignorant" when, although said tongue-in-cheek, it was technically 100% factual.

How can it be factual when the US team won Gold in 2005 and 2006 and lost the Gold Medal game to Russia in 2004 and 2007? In fact, the only year Canada finished better than USA in the last five years was when they won Gold 4 years ago.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
How can it be factual when the US team won Gold in 2005 and 2006 and lost the Gold Medal game to Russia in 2004 and 2007? In fact, the only year Canada finished better than USA in the last five years was when they won Gold 4 years ago.

My facetious comment did not specify a time frame. It was regarding the 2007 tournament and was 100% correct at the time I said it.

In any event, my position is that given the money, effort and media "spin" put into the NTDP by USA Hockey, and the obvious disadvantages that the other countries have inherent in the timing of this tournament, the U.S. should cakewalk at this event every year, regardless of the "one and done" format, or any other format for that matter. That they obviously don't (to say nothing of the U-17, the summer U-18 or the WJC) suggests to me that the millions of dollars would be better spent elsewhere.

pouskin74*

vanriemsdyk is a good talent. usa should be very proud to have this kind a kids

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
My facetious comment did not specify a time frame. It was regarding the 2007 tournament and was 100% correct at the time I said it.

In any event, my position is that given the money, effort and media "spin" put into the NTDP by USA Hockey, and the obvious disadvantages that the other countries have inherent in the timing of this tournament, the U.S. should cakewalk at this event every year, regardless of the "one and done" format, or any other format for that matter. That they obviously don't (to say nothing of the U-17, the summer U-18 or the WJC) suggests to me that the millions of dollars would be better spent elsewhere.

You've become my favourite poster.
I like USA hockey, I think the US program is pretty solid but I always wondered why they never dominated the U-18 tourneys.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm pretty excited -- 3 Straight years of New Jersey Kids being Drafted in the 1st round

James VanRiemsdyk
Birthday: May 04, 1989
Hometown: Middletown NJ
Position: F
Height: 6-3
Weight: 187

Bob Sanguinetti Defense (# 21 Overall)
Born Feb 29 1988 -- Trenton, NJ
Height 6.01 -- Weight 174 -- Shoots R

Bobby Ryan Right Wing (#2 Overall)
Born Mar 17 1987 -- Cherry Hill, NJ
Height 6.01 -- Weight 213 -- Shoots R