Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CBJ] Canucks acquire F Tyler Motte, Jussi Jokinen for F Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Just out of curiosity, how many years does this approach have to fail before you figure out there's a reason nobody uses it besides Benning? And don't talk about the Lightning. Their small guys are actually good players, not "tweeners" with or without the quotation marks.

I hope there would be a fewer need when (if?) the team is stocked with talented young players.

As for the Lightning, they have certainly made some good decisions. Take Yanni Gourde. I would certainly classify him as a "tweener" prior to this season. Even Cory Conacher is back with the Lightning.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
If Goldobin was scoring at a 50 pt pace i would be really exited(I don't think he would). Getting another 2nd line forward under 23would be worth moving from 4th overall to 6th overall. It would also have made Baertschi expandable so we probably could have traded him this deadline.To much speculation though.

I didn't like the Vanek or Gagner signings when they happened and I don't like them today, when you are a bottom 5 team for three years in a row you need to get young players in the line-up. Virtanen should have been playing 15 minutes7 game since december, Goldobin should have been a top six fixture IMO. If they sink then we know what we have, this playing of useless Veterans and ending up on the bottom of the league has to stop. This is why I don't want to resign Sedins & Jokinen trade Baertshi, Tanev, Del Zotto , Gudbransson and Granlund . tMake room for the young players , let them sink or swim, at least I could see the plan, this signing of useless Vetereans and being a crap team have to stop.

you sound a lot like the average Buffalo Fan eight years ago with their play the young guys, tank and reload in three years . Goldobin???? What are you drinking.. lol...I will buy you a new car when he puts up his 700 NHL pts.. There are a lot of "Fans" that will not pay NHL prices to watch a AHL level game.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tyler Motte will spent most of the season in Utica next year.....that's why the Canucks are working to make him waiver-exempt for next season....he's going to have to become a scorer at the AHL-level before he can help any NHL team.....another of Jimbo's rehab projects on a prospect who's underachieved so far in the NHL......based on the track record, what are the odds it works for him?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Tyler Motte will spent most of the season in Utica next year.....that's why the Canucks are working to make him waiver-exempt for next season....he's going to have to become a scorer at the AHL-level before he can help any NHL team.....another of Jimbo's rehab projects on a prospect who's underachieved so far in the NHL......based on the track record, what are the odds it works for him?
Less than 1%. The guy is 23 and can't even be an impactful player in the AHL.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Looks like the hype on Motte or excitement or whatever has died off, how unexpected.

It’s almost like we had AHL samples and NHL samples of what kind of player he is and where he is at in terms of development.....

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
Motte, as expected, looks like the absolute definition of AHL fodder. Zero upside, doesn't even offer any value on a 4th line.

Definitely worth forgoing a draft pick and taking on a bad salary for. :sarcasm:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The one thing I'll grant Motte is this - his speed gives opposing defenders issues, which underlines the fact that speed and skill is the way to go in today's game, rather than "big and hard to play against" as Benning was crowing about prior to the deadline.

Motte isn't going to be a regular NHL player, IMO, but the direction we should be headed with prospects and development is speed and skill.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I hope there would be a fewer need when (if?) the team is stocked with talented young players.

As for the Lightning, they have certainly made some good decisions. Take Yanni Gourde. I would certainly classify him as a "tweener" prior to this season. Even Cory Conacher is back with the Lightning.
Uh-huh.

The problem here however is that we're literally never going to be stocked with talented young players because Benning's spending all his time and draft picks grabbing the AHL tweener crap like Motte, Vey, Pedan, etc etc etc.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Motte isn't going to be a regular NHL player, IMO, but the direction we should be headed with prospects and development is speed and skill.

I agree. The good thing is that it appears that since Benning's first year here, that has been the direction the team has been going.

I think scouts and GMs see Motte as a guy who can play multiple positions on your bottom lines and kill penalties. He hasn't impressed at all thus far. If he doesn't require waivers to be sent down next season there is a bit of value in that but he needs to step up.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I agree. The good thing is that it appears that since Benning's first year here, that has been the direction the team has been going.

That's debatable. The age gap players that get dumped first tend to be the small, soft skill players, so it is likely that's why he has picked up those. If Virtanen was a soft 5'10 180-190lb he would be at risk of being waived with his production. His physical potential will keep him from being waived long after an equally effective small soft player is dumped.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
We basically gave Vanek away for nothing. Motte will be a career AHL player probably bouncing around from team to team through waivers.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Motte looks like a player who might one day aspire to be Jayson Megna if everything goes well.
Wow!....what a true but depressing post.....Canucks third-leading scorer traded for a guy who projects as slightly better-version of Megna or Molino....I suppose the only small consolation is that it didn't actually cost the Canucks a draft pick.....but that's really splitting hairs.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Ok, I think I get how this is done.

In 2011 Hank had 67 assists, this year he is on pace for 50 assists in 82 games... so he is basically the same player right?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Canucks third-leading scorer traded for a guy who projects as slightly better-version of Megna or Molino

Oh C'mmon. Vanek being one of the Canucks' leading scorers is irrelevant to his trade value.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
How do you evaluate this player? Can’t even find him on the ice! This is what Benning and Green want out of their bottom 6 guys? People that pull lethargic disappearing acts?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Motte looks like a player who might one day aspire to be Jayson Megna if everything goes well.
Lock him down long term.

65867.png

Reactions: Jyrki21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad