Speculation: Value of Trading for Witkowski

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That's false.
Here's an example of a month ago.
Simmonds hits Hirose near the boards. McIlrath fights him.

Several other times, McIlrath tried to go with guys who refused.
In terms of hits,
McIlrath has had 67 hits in 23 games over the last years.
Witkowski had 67 hits in 34 games last year.

The only thing that Witkowski offers that McIlrath doesn't is a stupidly high goals against average.
McIlrath, who unlike Witkowski was entrusted with PK minutes, has one of the lowest GA/60 on the team at 5 on 5 and on the PK.
McIlrath was at 2.19 this year - a year when most other defensemen on the team have GA's at 3.5 to 4.4.
Best on the team.
On the PK, McIlrath's GA is 7.3. Better than Hronek, Dekeyser, Daley, Cholo, Nemeth and most of the wings PK guys.

Witkowski had the worst GA/60 on the defense last year of any player who played 300 minutes.

As for Smith? Who cares. At best Smith develops into a 3rd line winger who might do some netfront work and some hitting. No reason he can't come to the NHL and play 4th line minutes and begin his apprenticeship.

So, yeah, give me some toughness. But let's use some players who can actually help the hockey team. McIlrath prevents goals against at 5 on 5 and the PK.
Smith can come up and develop his game.

Witkowski sucks

I think people like his beard or something. Or maybe they went to WMU or something.

By the way, Witkowski and McIlrath fought before.

Maybe the ship sailed long ago when I wasn't paying attention but I thought if you were considered a tough guy fighter you aren't supposed to wear a visor.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Maybe the ship sailed long ago when I wasn't paying attention but I thought if you were considered a tough guy fighter you aren't supposed to wear a visor.
It is a rule.

McIlrath can't play without a visor per NHL rules.

Simmonds was already in the league when the mandatory visor rule came in, so vets like himself and Ericsson are exempt.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Right now, I'd be okay sitting Perlini/Erne/Ehn and playing Givani Smith and Witkowski up front while playing McIlrath on the blueline behind Green and Hronek on the right side.

Reactions: GMR

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I am wondering if you realize that had that happened we would be on the books for like 1.6 million until around 2027. And what we would have to show for that sacrifice is.... what exactly? Just let the contract die.

McIlrath is not really a good answer but he is the only answer unless you want the wings to do something stupid like give up a pick or prospect for some goon. I really don't see the point of gooning up a team that just needs to just get through a few losing seasons of drafting to get its feet under it. Just let it go and get through it. There is no magic pill.

I still remember the collective WTF that went around the NHL when McIlrath was drafted lol. I am not in the least surprised he is in and out of the AHL still.

It's 1.15 million if bought out this year, and yeah I realize that but his roster spot(Maybe not this season actually) is becoming more important even than the money saved even.

The other option is to waive him, pay him still and save a little money on the cap, if he accepts playing in the AHL. This way doesn't allow for a multi-year cap hit after the `24 season when I think his contract expires.

My point was though I think I rather have Witowski on a 4th line with this team than Abdelkader at this point. Wings would be a tougher team no doubt in my mind. Honestly though, not a big deal, not like it's a complete game changing move or something. lol. Just a bit more entertaining maybe.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
And I'm asking why you think what he offers can't be provided in house?
You could call up Givani Smith to be a 4th line winger with toughness.
And McIlrath to be a defenseman with toughness.
You keep posting about advanced stats and it's meaningless. It's a 4th line player on the worst team in the league. We aren't trying to win games, and we aren't competing. It doesn't matter. I've watched McIlrath play, and i've watched Witkowski play, for me McIlrath isn't noticeable, he doesn't make an impact. He blends in 90% of the time and I don't really notice he's out there. I enjoyed watching Witkowski play. Mickey Redmond referred to Witkowski as a "fan favorite" a couple times last year. That's all i'm saying, and I think that's the point half of the people here supporting this are trying to make. The versatility being able to play forward and defense is nice also.

I would take Smith on the 4th line for the rest of the season without hesitation, but I don't think the management feels like he's ready to do that, which is why there was only a small sample size and other players are getting called up instead.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Right. But why take someone worse (Witkowski). You can accomplish this with McIlrath and Givani Smith.

Yeah, it sucks Mantha got hurt. Yeah, AA shouldn't running at guys in retaliation. On the other hand, Datsyuk elbowing Barrett Jackman or Shea Weber or fighting Corey Perry are some of my favorite moments of hockey in the last 20 years.

Haha, yea, Datsyuk fighting Perry is one of my favorites too.

I was born in 80 and started watching around 87. I remember when Yzerman fought Maguire in 87 right around this time of year. Obviously this wouldn't fly today, but I don't want that.

In my humble opinion, Witkowski was far more physical and aggressive than anyone you mention. Obviously Smith and Mcllrath haven't been regulars, but neither was Witkowski.

I understand the notion of trading for him is insane, and I bet OP does too. This is just some of us being dejected about the injury and the circumstances surrounding it. It's fairly obvious that Witter is better at the rough stuff than anyone we have, and dude had a bit of flair.

All I'm saying is if the Wings are gonna get housed 5-2 every game, I want the stars to be able to play in the next 5-2 loss because they didn't get manhandled by some d bag. Does Witter stop this? That's up for debate, but I feel like he makes a positive impact.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It's 1.15 million if bought out this year, and yeah I realize that but his roster spot(Maybe not this season actually) is becoming more important even than the money saved even.

The other option is to waive him, pay him still and save a little money on the cap, if he accepts playing in the AHL. This way doesn't allow for a multi-year cap hit after the `24 season when I think his contract expires.

My point was though I think I rather have Witowski on a 4th line with this team than Abdelkader at this point. Wings would be a tougher team no doubt in my mind. Honestly though, not a big deal, not like it's a complete game changing move or something. lol. Just a bit more entertaining maybe.

I am in favor of that idea a lot better. Just waive him and also Neilson. No real reason to let them finish out their contracts. I doubt the wings would face any criticism given their performance relative to their cap hit. Just wave them. But if they get waived they can never come back, can't risk reentry.

Not really a big fan of the idea of gooning it up just because the team is bad. It's basically what Brian Burke did. Tried to shortcut his way to a contender and filled in the rest of the gaps with goons and what followed was some pretty terrible hockey.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I am in favor of that idea a lot better. Just waive him and also Neilson. No real reason to let them finish out their contracts. I doubt the wings would face any criticism given their performance relative to their cap hit. Just wave them. But if they get waived they can never come back, can't risk reentry.

Not really a big fan of the idea of gooning it up just because the team is bad. It's basically what Brian Burke did. Tried to shortcut his way to a contender and filled in the rest of the gaps with goons and what followed was some pretty terrible hockey.
They aren’t waiving those guys...be real

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Witkowski, I like him, but you know, he has issues defensively. So, I don't really see him as the way forward. Mcilrath is about the same to me.

On the other hand, there is a need for more physicality here, I think.

Having a couple of heavyweight fighters on the team last season probably did let the rest of the team concentrate on their game better. Yet, the flip side of that is those were two roster spots taken up by enforcers, just so that we could end up in what place?

As for drafting, I don't like the idea of drafting for size, as we seemed to over several drafts. What we have drafted, trying to get bigger to compete in the Eastern Conference, are players who are big physically, harder to force off a puck, but that's about where their level of physicality ends. What it didn't get us is even one guy who plays well enough, who can also duke it out without ending up on the injury report after every altercation, win or lose. And I'm not trying to take a swipe at anyone, just stating the basic situation as I see it.

So, I know a lot of fans like the idea of drafting for size because they think we'll end up with some kind of huge, butt-kicking dude. That's a kind of player that we all want probably, but that isn't how the drafting-for-size idea has worked out for us.

We did kind of find the butt-kicking type of player one time when we didn't draft for size, in Bertuzzi.

So, maybe when we're faced with a tough choice to draft skilled player A, B, or C, instead of drafting the biggest one of those three, we should draft the one who is the most intense. That's one strategy I like for generating more physicality.

The other idea I would like would be to sign a free-agent who is skilled and who is physical, who we want to be a part of future plans. Although that's an idea for the summer, not at the trade deadline when you're in last place. Unless Steve's got something special up his sleeve.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad