Valtteri Filppula

CronoX

Mar 15, 2006
Hockeytown, MI
Filppula is probably one of the Wings' top center prospects (him and Hudler). How do you see him performing in the NHL? My friend who saw him in Grand Rapids raves about him and talks how Babcock mentioned sending Filppula back to the minors last season (he played 4 games) was one of the hardest things hes ever done. If the Wings loose Datsyuk in the offseason, do you think he could be our 2nd line center of the future? What kind of offensive potential does he posses? 60+ points? 70+ points? 80+ points?

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Filppula is probably one of the Wings' top center prospects (him and Hudler). How do you see him performing in the NHL? My friend who saw him in Grand Rapids raves about him and talks how Babcock mentioned sending Filppula back to the minors last season (he played 4 games) was one of the hardest things hes ever done. If the Wings loose Datsyuk in the offseason, do you think he could be our 2nd line center of the future? What kind of offensive potential does he posses? 60+ points? 70+ points? 80+ points?

Style wise hes been said to be a cross between Zetterberg and Datsyuk, as for potential, my impression that he wont be as high scoring as the aforementioned, but he may around 80%-90% as good someday. Saw him a bit last year when he got called up..seemed to be a good playmaker.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
When I saw him play last year he looked a lot like Zetterberg when he first came into the league, the only difference is Z got to stick around and eventually get used to the NHL while Filppula was bumped back down to the AHL....

I don't know if he'll ever be as good as Z since Z is a heck ofa goal scorer and Fil is more of a playmaker, but he has a good potential to be a top 6 forward, top line at his best of course.

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
When I saw him play last year he looked a lot like Zetterberg when he first came into the league, the only difference is Z got to stick around and eventually get used to the NHL while Filppula was bumped back down to the AHL....

I don't know if he'll ever be as good as Z since Z is a heck ofa goal scorer and Fil is more of a playmaker, but he has a good potential to be a top 6 forward, top line at his best of course.

Agree with my fellow Wings fan. Top end is a playmaking Zetterberg, but I'd peg him with about 15 pts less a ceiling. He's also very responsible in his own end...

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site

Zetterberg is more talented than Filppula. But Filppula is faster than Zetterberg and bigger.

Too bad Detroit is still in the old players mentality and Filppula won't get a real shot at making the Wings this year. For that matter I wonder if Hudler and Kopecky will.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Zetterberg is more talented than Filppula. But Filppula is faster than Zetterberg and bigger.

Too bad Detroit is still in the old players mentality and Filppula won't get a real shot at making the Wings this year. For that matter I wonder if Hudler and Kopecky will.

Hudler is on the edge as we speak since Babcock is not too fond of him, I personally love his skills but I have a feeling he'll be making another team look good when he's traded. Kopecky I'm not too sure about but his size makes me excited, at this point if he can be a solid future 3rd/4th liner I'll be happy.

This year is actually perfect to insert a kid like Filppula, the kid is a solid playmaker and putting him on Zetterberg's wing will be a heck of a move since Zetterberg is a goal scorer.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Hudler is on the edge as we speak since Babcock is not too fond of him, I personally love his skills but I have a feeling he'll be making another team look good when he's traded. Kopecky I'm not too sure about but his size makes me excited, at this point if he can be a solid future 3rd/4th liner I'll be happy.

This year is actually perfect to insert a kid like Filppula, the kid is a solid playmaker and putting him on Zetterberg's wing will be a heck of a move since Zetterberg is a goal scorer.

Babcock at least sounds found of Filppula but I don't know if the Wings will make space for him.

Right now the Wings have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lang, Samuelsson, Holmstrom, Draper, Maltby, Johnson, Cleary, Williams and Franzen. That's 11 guys. Room for 1, maybe 2 more depending on how many black aces the Wings will carry.

I hope the Wings can make room for Hudler, Kopecky and Filppula. But that's wishful thinking.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I like Filppula one of the more underrated prospects in the NHL. Hopefully he makes the wings and shows everyone what a great talent he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->