valerie gets his props

Status
Not open for further replies.

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
finally valerie kharmalov is in the hhof had he not died in a car crash so young he probably would have been the 1st russian player in the nhl and he would have challenged gretzky as being the best perhaps a tie it would have been great for hockey to see the both of them in their prime competing head to head

that would have been special now if only names like tretiak,glen anderson, and herb carnegie would get their props also

this moment in hockey reminds me of when the reat ted williams at his mlbhof induction champion for the induction of the great negro league players who were denied entry maybe fuhr can help carnegie's cause

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
There was a story in the last few days in a Boston paper that Harry Sinden made a significant attempt after the summit series (around 1972) to make Alexander Yakushev the first Russian NHL'er. But it would have been interesting to see Kharlamov in the NHL. He was the type of creative offensive player that the game could use today.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Agreed about Teddy. Now if they'd start inducting Japanese players.

I have the nagging feeling the career european is going to be grossly under populated.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Sorry, the story about Yakushev was actually in the Toronto Sun (link)

Sinden, who had coached Team Canada over the Red Machine in the 1972 Summit Series and was general manager/coach of the Bruins, had hoped to put the 6-foot-3 left winger Yakushev right onto the Stanley Cup champion Boston roster.

"We enlisted Senator (Ted) Kennedy's office in Massachusetts to see if we somehow couldn't go outside the system and get a cultural exchange," Sinden said. "I was going to send them an opera singer or someone such as that. It didn't work."

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Chili said:
Yep I think that Boston, the Habs and the Kings were all after Yakushev. As for Kharlamov, its great to see him inducted. One of the truely great talents to ever grace a hockey rink and IMO the best player to never play in the NHL. Thanks for that link.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
neg marron said:
finally valerie kharmalov is in the hhof had he not died in a car crash so young he probably would have been the 1st russian player in the nhl and he would have challenged gretzky as being the best perhaps a tie it would have been great for hockey to see the both of them in their prime competing head to head

that would have been special now if only names like tretiak,glen anderson, and herb carnegie would get their props also

this moment in hockey reminds me of when the reat ted williams at his mlbhof induction champion for the induction of the great negro league players who were denied entry maybe fuhr can help carnegie's cause

So young??!! He was 33 and his best years were clearly behind him. In fact, he never was the same after his first car crash in ´76, which broke both of his ankles (how much bad luck can one guy have! :( ). After that; no all star selections in the World Championships or Soviet league, if I remember correctly. Had he defected in the early 70s, that would have been a different story. But remember, he wasn´t a record-breaker; not even in the Soviet league, so I´m pretty sure that he couldn´t have produced quite Gretzky-like figures...

Kharlamov is one of my all-time favorites and probably the most exciting hockey player ever, but I don´t think it´s right to compare him to Gretzky, Lemieux or even Bobby Orr, for that matter...

Last edited:

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Chili said:
Chili,I'm sure you've seen Harry Sinden speak numerous times. I'm wondering how many opera singers he has on speed dial.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
mcphee said:
Chili,I'm sure you've seen Harry Sinden speak numerous times. I'm wondering how many opera singers he has on speed dial.

Ha, ha! Good one McPhee.

Maybe he was thinking of sending Don Cherry over to sing.

I remember when Harry was mugged at the NHL draft a few years back. Can't remember which city that was though?

chooch*

moneyp said:
A worthy inductee from all accounts. Shame he isn't around to appreciate it.

He had a great goal on Dryden in the new years eve game when he slipped through the defense. Other than that he was invisible.

He also had a great goal on Dryden in Game 1 1972 on a slapper inside the line.

I dont know about a HoF for no17 - its more of a legendary thing to me. Werent Yakushev and Firsov greater players?

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
chooch said:
I dont know about a HoF for no17 - its more of a legendary thing to me. Werent Yakushev and Firsov greater players?

I think that Yakushev is more appreciated in the North America than in Europe due to his great play in both NHL and WHA Summit Series. For instance, when the Soviet forwards of the 70s are discussed here in Finland, first names that come up are usually Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Petrov and Maltsev. Then maybe after that it's "oh yeah, Yakushev...". But I think that he might have been the 3rd best INDIVIDUAL player (after Kharlamov and Maltsev) of the 70s in the Soviet national team. He was AWESOME and by far the best Soviet player in the Summit Series, especially in the last three games in Moscow IMO.

I have never seen Firsov play (not even a glimpse!) but almost all Finnish old-timers who played in the 60s and early 70s think that he is the best player they've ever seen. And some Finnish hockey books declare him as the best Soviet player ever, so...

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
[

I dont know about a HoF for no17 - its more of a legendary thing to me. Werent Yakushev and Firsov greater players?[/QUOTE]

Yakushev no. Firsov maybe yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->