Friedman: Vadim Shipachyov given permission to seek a trade

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He played 3 games. Why sign a guy from another league for that kind of money if you don't intend to have patience with him beyond 3 games?

He wanted to come over here - they didn't poach him, they signed him expecting him to be fit for their team and it turns out he isn't. Isn't he in the midst of getting traded?

Just comply to team rules until that's sorted out - he's on a one-way contract he's making his $5m regardless which league he plays for.

Let's not act like he's completely blameless here. I mean, go play your AHL game, get paid and wait for a trade while maintaining value or stay home, get suspended without pay, decrease your value and chances of getting traded..?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He wanted to come over here - they didn't poach him, they signed him expecting him to be fit for their team and it turns out he isn't. Isn't he in the midst of getting traded?

Just comply to team rules until that's sorted out - he's on a one-way contract he's making his $5m regardless which league he plays for.

Let's not act like he's completely blameless here. I mean, go play your AHL game, get paid and wait for a trade while maintaining value or stay home, get suspended without pay, decrease your value and chances of getting traded..?
Yeah I don't diagree with any of this. Like I said, I think he should have been more careful choosing a team to sign with if not playing the AHL was very, very important to him.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
What don't people understand about he's not ready to make the team? They are playing decent hockey and have no interest in shuffling lines and giving him a ton of ice time? "But he's already one of their best offensive players!" Until he's actually proven that, he isn't. It doesn't matter what he did in the KHL, if you can't bring it then you can't bring it. Do you really think their fans care? They're winning a ton of games. Shipachyov is an after-thought for them at this point. They didn't "do" anything to them besides give him 9 million dollars to be in their organization for 2 years. He's not entitled to anything more than that. I liked him, and I'd love to see him making an impact in the NHL right now, but if it's not there, it's not there.

Did the GM say he wasn't ready to make the team? I thought I remember him literally saying the opposite and him being in the AHL was just roster play while they let the dman issue figure itself out.

They signed him to a 4.5 million dollar contract. If he wasn't good enough, it's still stupid as hell and indefensible. Sorry, friend. It's dumb no matter how you cut it.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Did the GM say he wasn't ready to make the team? I thought I remember him literally saying the opposite and him being in the AHL was just roster play while they let the dman issue figure itself out.

They signed him to a 4.5 million dollar contract. If he wasn't good enough, it's still stupid as hell and indefensible. Sorry, friend. It's dumb no matter how you cut it.
He was signed that much because they believed in his upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad