Friedman: Vadim Shipachyov given permission to seek a trade

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Kucherov, Namestnikov, Sergachev, Vasilevskiy... they could use another!

I mean I guess...though to be fair our need isn't really more scoring. Were pretty much set. If we find a reasonable deal that doesn't make us give up any assets for the now. (Unless its Sustr, by god you can have him.) He would be paired with Johnson and Killorn on the third line.

Shipachyov-Johnson-Killorn. I guess I'll be happy with two second lines. :whaaa?:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I mean I guess...though to be fair our need isn't really more scoring. Were pretty much set. If we find a reasonable deal that doesn't make us give up any assets for the now. (Unless its Sustr, by god you can have him.) He would be paired with Johnson and Killorn on the third line.

Shipachyov-Johnson-Killorn. I guess I'll be happy with two second lines. :whaaa?:
I think the situation that Ship and VGK are in... it won't be too expensive to acquire him...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Its the agent that are the problems, how the heck can you allow you client to sign for someone like McPhee?

The guy takes a huge pay cut to go and play in the NHL. If you aren't sure that you will play him -- don't sign him. Its not rocket science. There is no X factor. Scout the player before signing him.

According to the KHL salary leaks last year Ship was paid about $2m USD in the KHL vs. $4.5m in the NHL this year. No matter how much folks like to harp on tax differences that doesn't strike me as a pay cut.

Reactions: derriko

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I think the situation that Ship and VGK are in... it won't be too expensive to acquire him...

The question is whether GMGM will let him go. He's trying to save face here for screwing it up from the beginning - winning masks a lot of blemishes, but make no mistake... just as every team goes through, losing and facing adversity will come.

Was Shipachyov not widely regarded as the better player between him and Dadonov before they came over?

Yep, and if Ship were flanking Barkov and Huberdeau, he'd be chugging along at least just as well, if not better.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
They're willing to suspend and likely terminate his contract. I doubt that happens if there was a bevy of teams jumping to sign him. There's apparently no teams that want to jump on him. Why?

Because he's on a one way contract for $4.5 for two years. Vegas paid him too much. Why did Vegas pay him too much going into a season where the Knights are expected to compete, but not make the playoffs? Because they needed his flexibility with waiver exemptions and he's a high quality player that can go down to the AHL when they needed to make moves. They needed a guy that can contribute, yet offered flexibility to make roster moves. Vadim didn't sign here because we thought he was going to be the 1C, he signed here because he thought he could be the 1C and the Knights paid him more for a longer term than anyone else was offering. That extra money came because we had the room and needed waiver exempt players.

As far as I'm concerned, Vadim was getting paid a premium for his talent and his waiver exempt status that McPhee needed to make things happen with the roster, and now that GMGM is capitalizing on that status Vadim isn't happy because he thinks he's a 1C. Yet, he could have been a 1C without going to the AHL for a day if he'd have signed with any other team that offered him less money and term. He took the money, and he wants to stay in the NHL, which is exactly what the Knights didn't need.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
They're willing to suspend and likely terminate his contract. I doubt that happens if there was a bevy of teams jumping to sign him. There's apparently no teams that want to jump on him. Why?

I agree, and like I've said earlier, this may not have been a problem had it happened next year or if there were another Russian or two in the system.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Bottomline is this....he's a prima dona just like his agent was when he played. He thinks he's better than he actually is...like was said, there's not a ton of teams willing to pick him up via trade. Maybe they're waiting to see if his contract is terminated, but who can give him the same money now??? Just because he was the best player in the KHL doesn't mean he can play in the NHL...different style of game and different size ice make a big difference. I mean hell I'm the best whiffleball player in N America but that doesn't mean I'm ready to face major league pitching.
He needs to go to Chicago and prove he can play at that level then go up.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He needs to go to Chicago and prove he can play at that level then go up.

Why? He's 30 years old and proved himself at a much higher level already. If that's not good enough for Vegas, then they should admit they did a mistake and part ways as soon as possible. No prolonged saga or overtly hard feelings necessary.

Reactions: iSophagus

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
any team that grabs him and has some patience will reap the reward. its just about who has that kind of time.

And what if Shipachyov isn't patient? I mean, he couldn't make his mark on a team that has THE most patience in the entire league, and refused to go work on his game in a developmental league. I kinda think he's the impatient one...

Reactions: axecrew

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Why? He's 30 years old and proved himself at a much higher level already. If that's not good enough for Vegas, then they should admit they did a mistake and part ways as soon as possible. No prolonged saga or overtly hard feelings necessary.

Really?? So you are of the opinion that the KHL is at a higher level than the NHL? No he hasn't proven anything in North America which is where his contract is right now. If he were as good as he and others think I highly doubt vegas would ship him out to the AHL. Face it he has looked out of place and lost in the NHL, which is why they want him to play in the AHL and get acclimated to the ice size and the style of play here in N.A. He's not willing to do that because he has an over-inflated opinion of himself and his ability. The fact that no one has come forward with any kind of trade with vegas speaks volumes. Now let's put him on unconditional waivers and see if anyone bites. We'll know his true value to other teams then. If someone grabs him then good...if not...then maybe the only one wrong about his value is him and people like you. AND...if he's as good as he thinks and other people think...why did he wait til 30 to come over? With the advances in scouting now it's not likely that he went unnoticed...so why wait til now?

Last edited:

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Really?? So you are of the opinion that the KHL is at a higher level than the NHL? No he hasn't proven anything in North America which is where his contract is right now. If he were as good as he and others think I highly doubt vegas would ship him out to the AHL. Face it he has looked out of place and lost in the NHL, which is why they want him to play in the AHL and get acclimated to the ice size and the style of play here in N.A. He's not willing to do that because he has an over-inflated opinion of himself and his ability. The fact that no one has come forward with any kind of trade with vegas speaks volumes. Now let's put him on unconditional waivers and see if anyone bites. We'll know his true value to other teams then. If someone grabs him then good...if not...then maybe the only one wrong about his value is him and people like you.
He’s saying the KHL >> AHL.

It’s... debatable.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
And what if Shipachyov isn't patient? I mean, he couldn't make his mark on a team that has THE most patience in the entire league, and refused to go work on his game in a developmental league. I kinda think he's the impatient one...

Again, the most patient team in the league sent him to the AHL before letting him play a game? The most patient team in the league is on the verge of contract termination after hes been on the ince for like 31 minutes, total?

Just for the record, lots of teams keep rookies up until about the 10 game mark before making a decision to send them down to the minors. Not 3, like Ship got. VGK has been anything but patient.

Of course, the whole thing has never been about patience or his performance. It's been about roster spots and waiver eligibility.

Go home, Ship. You deserve better than the garbage you've been putting up with from GMGM. Take your family back home, and enjoy your life as a star. I'll continue to read about you every once in a while in articles about the biggest 'what if' players that could have been.

Reactions: Szechwan

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Really?? So you are of the opinion that the KHL is at a higher level than the NHL? No he hasn't proven anything in North America which is where his contract is right now. If he were as good as he and others think I highly doubt vegas would ship him out to the AHL. Face it he has looked out of place and lost in the NHL, which is why they want him to play in the AHL and get acclimated to the ice size and the style of play here in N.A. He's not willing to do that because he has an over-inflated opinion of himself and his ability. The fact that no one has come forward with any kind of trade with vegas speaks volumes. Now let's put him on unconditional waivers and see if anyone bites. We'll know his true value to other teams then. If someone grabs him then good...if not...then maybe the only one wrong about his value is him and people like you. AND...if he's as good as he thinks and other people think...why did he wait til 30 to come over? With the advances in scouting now it's not likely that he went unnoticed...so why wait til now?

He wasn't good in his 3 games. But he only ever played with the best wingers in preseason, then 10 minutes a game with nobody in his 3 regular season games.

And Vegas was supposed to be a team willing and able to let him learn the NA game while on the job with the NHL team. An expansion team should be willing to let him struggle for more than 30 minutes to see if he can find his game. Other teams aren't biting because he is unproven with a decent sized contract. But Vegas knew that from the start. What exactly has happened that they didn't see as a possibility?

Oh, right, the roster being full of #7 quality defencemen. So when GMGM drafted a bunch of dud D men in expansion expecting to be showered with trade offers, only to be stuck looking like a fool, he decided to send down the teams marquee signing rather than admit he over did it with the D and just waive one of them.

Now the situation has gone sour, and the team is pointing the finger at the player. If they actually let the guy play they might have had a legit scoring threat to play for the team for years. You know, like the exact thing they told their fans.

Reactions: Szechwan

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What is the beef here? Why won't they play him?
Because he's waiver exempt and making a move for the future (even if it's a 7th rounder three years from now for some dman) is more important than him getting into a game. He's not getting paid minor money to play in the minor leagues, he's still getting 4.5 in a Chicago Wolves uniform.

He's getting paid more money for a longer amount of time than an other NHL was willing to pay because he can move down to the AHL and we needed someone that could be a great player and move down from time to time. He just doesn't want to do it.

Like I said a few posts ago, if he wanted to play every single game in the NHL this season, he should have signed one of the one year offers he got from any other team that offered one.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
What is the beef here? Why won't they play him?

He is one of three players that were waiver exempt, highly valuable to a team that only had a few weeks to evaluate all of their players. This and a lackluster training camp and pre-season are the reasons he's been down. He got called up due to injuries, played alright, but was sent down again once players returned. His agent was granted the right to try for a trade, but there haven't been any takers, after this he refused to play in Chicago.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The funny thing is.... If vegas had 1 win so far rather than the start they've had... McPhee would be fired for this.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I've never really understood why he is waiver-exempt. Is it because this is his first time in the NHL? Is there even such thing as a 1-way, 4.5m contract that is waiver-exempt? Can someone help me out on this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad