Rumor: Vadim Shipachyov Available?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Eklund (I know!) stating that Shipachyov is pretty disgusted with being demoted (he hasn't reported according to the article) and might be available.

Do we have enough interest? His KHL numbers are solid AND consistent. Cheaper to obtain than Duchene in all likelihood. $4.5 million cap hit easily absorbed.

What do you offer? A first rounder and Nelson?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I would start at Nelson and go from there. I don't think this situation warrants a first rounder, Vegas mishandled it badly.

Also I'm sure we'd figure something out but we'd need to add to make it work under the cap.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
The guy hasn't played one game in the NHL and you want to trade a 20-25 goal scorer and a 1st for him? I hope teams didn't the same mindset when Roman Cervenka came to the NHL a few years ago.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

jZOtraa.gif

Reactions: SteveH124

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The guy hasn't played one game in the NHL and you want to trade a 20-25 goal scorer and a 1st for him? I hope teams didn't the same mindset when Roman Cervenka came to the NHL a few years ago.

Terrible comparison. Cervenka scored at HALF the rate in the KHL when he played there. Shipachyov has dominated the KHL for YEARS as well as big production at the international level.

Yeah why would we want this guy?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Keep in mind the issue is that they don't have enough roster spots to bring him up to the NHL. By trading them an NHL player (Nelson) who has to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL, without taking back a current NHL roster player, doesn't do anything for Vegas.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Keep in mind the issue is that they don't have enough roster spots to bring him up to the NHL. By trading them an NHL player (Nelson) who has to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL, without taking back a current NHL roster player, doesn't do anything for Vegas.

Shipachyov didn't report to the minor league team according to the reports:

https://www.knightsonice.com/2017/1...-shipachyov-fine-will-be-called-up-eventually

McPhee is playing with fire, this guy should NEVER have been sent down. This is an expansion team and he was their big free agent signing! They are keeping Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and William Carrier on the team instead of him? You get him acclimated to the NHL right away in this situation. Take advantage of Vegas and steal this guy away. Nelson goes to the Knights roster and they send down someone else.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Shipachyov didn't report to the minor league team according to the reports:

https://www.knightsonice.com/2017/1...-shipachyov-fine-will-be-called-up-eventually

McPhee is playing with fire, this guy should NEVER have been sent down. This is an expansion team and he was their big free agent signing! They are keeping Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and William Carrier on the team instead of him? You get him acclimated to the NHL right away in this situation. Take advantage of Vegas and steal this guy away. Nelson goes to the Knights roster and they send down someone else.

I don't get it? VGK isn't willing to bump someone off the team for him. But the Isles would trade a package of Nelson and a first rounder to get him? Then Nelson will proceed to do what this guy couldn't do... bump someone off the team. If Nelson could accomplish what Shipachoyov could not... why do the Isles have to add?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
But the Isles would trade a package of Nelson and a first rounder to get him?

It's too much of a wild card to give up assets for, let alone major assets like a 1st. Imagine if you spend your 1st on this bozo only to have him scamper off or suck, then someone actually proven goes on the market and you're out of trading ammo. I kinda think if this guy was that good, Vegas would waive one of their 4th liners and make room.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I read he hasn't reported because he's in Vegas with his wife since neither of them speaks english much if at all and that the Knights were fully aware of the situation. Also is mentioned that he was sent down because he was one of a few that VGK could send down without having to pass waivers

http://www.tsn.ca/mcphee-denies-rumour-shipachyov-wants-out-1.880258
This makes sense, however the last part seems odd. I'd imagine at some point the player will get tired of waiting. How is he going to stay in shape if he isn't playing anywhere? Is he even allowed to skate with the team during practice or use the facilities if he's not on the roster? The rest makes sense, but you'd have to think the pressure is on McPhee to make a change. Can you imagine telling your owner "Yeah, I know you bought this multi million dollar piece of machinery but the cheaper model still works so will just stick with that.". No way.

This is a league where every point counts (just ask us Islander fans about it last season). I know they are undefeated, but at some point he's got to think that icing the best roster and going for the playoffs is warranted. I think he just says he isn't in a hurry so he still deals from a position of power.

With that said I'd move Brock to them for a young defenseman or two (since they need to move a couple bodies if they are getting one). Brock might actually be a really good pickup for a team like that. Maybe the lights of Vegas will stir up a fire in him, lol.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Terrible comparison. Cervenka scored at HALF the rate in the KHL when he played there. Shipachyov has dominated the KHL for YEARS as well as big production at the international level.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be an asset, but you would really give up Nelson and a 1st for a guy who has never played in the NHL? That's crazy, no matter how good he was in the KHL. Guys like him can so easily flop, it's not the worth the risk of giving up major assets.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'm not saying he wouldn't be an asset, but you would really give up Nelson and a 1st for a guy who has never played in the NHL? That's crazy, no matter how good he was in the KHL. Guys like him can so easily flop, it's not the worth the risk of giving up major assets.

Maybe it's a stretch . . . maybe make the trade bigger and target a defenseman too.

I think back to the 1979-80 team and how we got so tied in to the current home grown talent on that team and how it took a trade to bring in someone from outside the organization to push them into the top tier and I'm sure if that trade was completed today we'd be bemoaning that Goring cost us Harris (a #1 overall pick) and Lewis (a Top 4 defenseman). Harris was a 60-70 point producer for the previous 4 seasons and Lewis was Potvin's partner on the blueline. How does that trade get handled if HF is around back then? Probably gets trashed at least at the beginning.

The lesson that Torrey and Arbour learned after that first cup was that you made a roster change or two EVERY YEAR, which they did. Now granted there was plenty of talent waiting to come up but we think that's true today also with our prospects. What you didn't have back then was a lot of long term contracts and that kept the players more consistently hungry to perform.

I think that this group of players has something missing and it isn't easily apparent (I'm talking chemistry, not the tactical stuff of a lack of a PP QB or an established #2C) to notice, but you get the feeling this team has BOTH a floor AND a ceiling and that spells complacency. When Goring came to the Island the first thing he did inside the locker room was to get the players to understand that the rest of the league seemed to have a higher regard for them as a team than they did among themselves.

This team clearly has 2 needs, as the other thread noted. I think this guy can clearly fill the 2C role, others don't think so. I happen to like Russian forwards like this guy because they are solid two-way players because that's how the Russians train their centers. Not saying he's Datsyuk or Federov but how many North American centers are those two guys either when it came to their overall effect on a game? The KHL is the second best league in the world and you can't ignore his accomplishments there. McPhee never got over the hump with the Capitols but knew Russian talent there. This is his only big FA signing and he's playing around with the guy.

Find a way to take advantage.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Maybe it's a stretch . . . maybe make the trade bigger and target a defenseman too.

I think back to the 1979-80 team and how we got so tied in to the current home grown talent on that team and how it took a trade to bring in someone from outside the organization to push them into the top tier and I'm sure if that trade was completed today we'd be bemoaning that Goring cost us Harris (a #1 overall pick) and Lewis (a Top 4 defenseman). Harris was a 60-70 point producer for the previous 4 seasons and Lewis was Potvin's partner on the blueline. How does that trade get handled if HF is around back then? Probably gets trashed at least at the beginning.

The lesson that Torrey and Arbour learned after that first cup was that you made a roster change or two EVERY YEAR, which they did. Now granted there was plenty of talent waiting to come up but we think that's true today also with our prospects. What you didn't have back then was a lot of long term contracts and that kept the players more consistently hungry to perform.

I think that this group of players has something missing and it isn't easily apparent (I'm talking chemistry, not the tactical stuff of a lack of a PP QB or an established #2C) to notice, but you get the feeling this team has BOTH a floor AND a ceiling and that spells complacency. When Goring came to the Island the first thing he did inside the locker room was to get the players to understand that the rest of the league seemed to have a higher regard for them as a team than they did among themselves.

This team clearly has 2 needs, as the other thread noted. I think this guy can clearly fill the 2C role, others don't think so. I happen to like Russian forwards like this guy because they are solid two-way players because that's how the Russians train their centers. Not saying he's Datsyuk or Federov but how many North American centers are those two guys either when it came to their overall effect on a game? The KHL is the second best league in the world and you can't ignore his accomplishments there. McPhee never got over the hump with the Capitols but knew Russian talent there. This is his only big FA signing and he's playing around with the guy.

You're not addressing my point. Butch Goring was a proven NHL commodity. Vadim Shipachyov is not. If this was say, his third year in the NHL, and he's scored 50-60 points since his NA arrival, I'd be very interested, but he hasn't. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it's not the point I'm making.

Again, Shipachyov can be a solid asset, but is an unknown, and not worth giving up a 20-25 goal scorer and a 1st round pick. To me, Shipachyov is worth little to nothing.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You're not addressing my point. Butch Goring was a proven NHL commodity. Vadim Shipachyov is not. If this was say, his third year in the NHL, and he's scored 50-60 points since his NA arrival, I'd be very interested, but he hasn't. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it's not the point I'm making.

Again, Shipachyov can be a solid asset, but is an unknown, and not worth giving up a 20-25 goal scorer and a 1st round pick. To me, Shipachyov is worth little to nothing.

My first line addresses your point and I admitted maybe it's a stretch what my offer was.

But he certainly is not worth little to nothing either. A lot of teams offered him a contract, not just this summer but the 2016 summer too:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...-the-khl-habs-canadiens-blackhawks-nhl-russia

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Nigel Dawes has dominated the khl for years too. Yes , there's only one

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It's too much of a wild card to give up assets for, let alone major assets like a 1st. Imagine if you spend your 1st on this bozo only to have him scamper off or suck, then someone actually proven goes on the market and you're out of trading ammo. I kinda think if this guy was that good, Vegas would waive one of their 4th liners and make room.

Oh, I know and agree completely.

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
Eklund (I know!) stating that Shipachyov is pretty disgusted with being demoted (he hasn't reported according to the article) and might be available.

Do we have enough interest? His KHL numbers are solid AND consistent. Cheaper to obtain than Duchene in all likelihood. $4.5 million cap hit easily absorbed.

I would not trade either Nelson or 1st for him.
Way too risky to trade a 20 goal scorer (who has looked good this year) for an unknown - this team is not in the position to do that.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

I'm not disagreeing with the need to make moves, but while Harris was my favorite player, we needed a high caliber center and Goring was perfect to fill the need. I think we'd all be good with it if HF was around back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad