Vaclav Nedorost VS Steve McCarty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm going to assume you're talking about Blackhawks defenseman Steve McCarthy, correct?

Steve McCarthy- Since being taken high in the 1999 draft, Steve has had quite a bit of trouble adjusting his game to the NHL level. He has shown flashes of being a productive player in the AHL with the Norfolk Admirals, including a 28 point effort in 2001-2002, but has yet to bring that level of production to the NHL. He has missed a large portion of this season already, but it appears as if he was on his way to another subpar year. McCarthy is very closely approaching the bust level, which is a shame considering the type of offensive potential we thought he was capable of. With the Hawks rebuilding, we should get one last look at McCarthy next season before i'm going to write him off as a bust. I'd say his ceiling at this point would be a solid 30 point contributer, but he's got to learn the defensive aspects of the game better if he plans to stick on a full time basis.

Vaclav Nederost- Nederost has unlimited potential, this much is no secret. He is one of many Avalanche players that LaCroix might regret shipping out at one point. Despite his high billing, he hasn't really accomplished much at the NHL level either. Nederost has also missed time this season, but he appeared to be on his way to a decent season for the most part. He had 7 goals in 18 games at the AHL level and 4 goals in 28 games at the NHL level. While these numbers aren't impressive, they are better than anything else he had put up during his brief career. Nederost is tricky because Florida is stock full of talent at forward and he's going to have to impress in order to bypass a few players on the Panthers roster. I'm not sure if he's capable of playing the wing as well as forward, but that might be something the organization should look into. With Jokinen and Horton, the Center position is pretty well stocked at the moment. The eventual replacement of Kozlov, however, could be the job of Nederost if they feel he is capable. I don't see much middle ground with Vaclav though. In my opinion, he can't help you very much outside of your top 6. Ceiling on him in my opinion is 60 points. 20 goals and 40 helpers would be the type of season i'd think. However, he also needs to step it up next season.

Takkie

I Goc ya nose!
Jun 29, 2003
Florida
Visit site
he's playing on our "Kid line" Nedorost-Weiss-Horton, and that line looked real good until horton got injured. Potentially our top line of the future.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Well, McCarthy came back recently and played 20 minutes in a game.... while Nedorost came back in the NHL and isn't lpaying a lot..... with Horton's injury, maybe he will play more during the last games. By the way, isn't he able to play at the three forward positions???

Thanks by the way.... in my mind, McCarthy was still having more chances to be an NHL regular than Nedorost... but I wasn't really sure.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
McCarthy is not even close to a bust. He was actually having a breakout year defensively before he got hurt. Like this year he will be 1 of the Hawks top 6 next year.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Wally112pac said:
McCarthy is not even close to a bust. He was actually having a breakout year defensively before he got hurt. Like this year he will be 1 of the Hawks top 6 next year.

Considering the immense offensive potential he was touted for, he's more than likely going to bust on that aspect of his game. I'm not saying he's going to be a total wash as a prospect, but there were people claiming that he had 50-60 point potential just a few seasons ago. While I don't doubt he can turn it around and be a solid defensive defenseman, he's going to have to put some time in. So as for his original billing, he busted to that as far as i'm concerned.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I think McCarthy will be a great sleeper for next year's fantasy pools. He will be given #2/#3 minutes constantly (after previously only getting #5/#6), and provided he can stay healthy, he'll probably get a lot of points to match

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Considering the immense offensive potential he was touted for, he's more than likely going to bust on that aspect of his game. I'm not saying he's going to be a total wash as a prospect, but there were people claiming that he had 50-60 point potential just a few seasons ago. While I don't doubt he can turn it around and be a solid defensive defenseman, he's going to have to put some time in. So as for his original billing, he busted to that as far as i'm concerned.

Who ever said he could put up 60 points? I've followed him since 99 and this is the 1st i've heard of this.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Me too.... it was always said he was the best D-man of is year, but not a no.1 or even not a no.2....... would Nick Schultz be a nice comparative?

The Jerk*

I think McCarthy is still capable of putting up 40 plus points in a year, and I still think it's too early to be labelling him a bust, he's only 23

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
McCarthy is nowhere near busting. He had some troubles when first starting out in the bigs. That is not uncommon for young defenesemen. I watch at least 50% of Hawks games. Over the last few years McCarthy has looked extremely promising and often is the best Dman on the ice (not saying a whole lot considering our corps).

But considering we have had no veteran leadership on D the last couple years, McCarthy has come around despite that pressure.

If I were to compare it would be to someone like Weinrich. He passes well and can jump start a play. Although he may never win point contests, he has the potential to put up decent numbers while playing very solid defensively. I see him with more assists than goals. He is a very smart player and has learned good positioning (getting better every year). He won't ever clobber people, but he excells at tying up the man on the boards so his size has not become a detriment. He is now perhaps our best defensmen (along with Vandameer who is looking very good). Once our D corps improves I think McCarthy will settle in at #3 or an excellent #4 on a contender level team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad