Prospect Info: Vaclav Karabacek (2014, 49th) – '18-19: Clears unconditional waivers, ELC mutually terminated

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Literally no one is "going over the top" complaining about this.

Read the Karabacek thread. It was a preemptive strike to keep the loud large contingent of people who didn't want to "waste a contract slot" on him toned down by utilizing a simple matter of perspective.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Read the Karabacek thread. It was a preemptive strike to keep the loud large contingent of people who didn't want to "waste a contract slot" on him toned down by utilizing a simple matter of perspective.

That would be me. You can actually post that -- there is no need to go teen-aged drama about it. I stand by what I said -- I think he's not worth the contract and did nothing in the playoffs to show me otherwise.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Jacobs drops off contract list. Karabacek added. VC needs to be better than Jacobs. Seems fine by me.

Though I somewhat agree, they can upgrade over Jacobs easily on an AHL contract without having to spend one of their 50.

I'm not as apoplectic on Karabacek as Chain and some others. I'm okay with Karabacek, Martin and Cornel all getting ELCs though I would have understood signing none of them or some combination of the three. I also think I'm a little old-fashioned in my view of the value of organizational guys. If the best thing that happens to Karabacek is that he has Milan Bartovic's career, I can live with that. Not thrilled, but I can live with it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Though I somewhat agree, they can upgrade over Jacobs easily on an AHL contract without having to spend one of their 50.

I'm not as apoplectic on Karabacek as Chain and some others. I'm okay with Karabacek, Martin and Cornel all getting ELCs though I would have understood signing none of them or some combination of the three. I also think I'm a little old-fashioned in my view of the value of organizational guys. If the best thing that happens to Karabacek is that he has Milan Bartovic's career, I can live with that. Not thrilled, but I can live with it.

I'm not apoplectic about him. I think he's not worth the contract.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
but how much is the contract spot really worth? What would you spend it on instead?

It isn't so much what that contract spot is worth to me today, but what it is worth each of the next couple springs when UDFA become available from the college and European ranks. The flexibility to be able to make a bid for, be in contention for, and sign later developing players is what I would prefer.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
It isn't so much what that contract spot is worth to me today, but what it is worth each of the next couple springs when UDFA become available from the college and European ranks. The flexibility to be able to make a bid for, be in contention for, and sign later developing players is what I would prefer.

I have no worries about contract spots. GMTM will just make a 4 for 1 trade instead of a 3 for 1. He seems to know how to thin the herd when needed.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
2014 2nd round they took some swings on some guys they hope can develop into top 6 players, not just bottom six grinders who are easy to come by. What's wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with that approach, but it'd be nice if he hit on one of the picks he used on Cornel and Karabacek. I don't think either guy will have a remarkable professional career. Several guys also picked in the 2nd who were available when one or both of Cornel and Karabacek were picked have gone zooming by our players. Dvorak looks great. Montour is precisely the type of "QB" we're now looking for and was a 1st team AHL All-Star this season. Throw in guys like Letunov, Halverson, Dougherty, and Donato, too. I'm not going to crucify Murray for it, and his 2015 Draft appears to have some hits outside the 1st round - but it's looking increasingly likely that what was being billed as a big draft for us because of the number of top-60 picks we had is only going to yield Reinhart from that group (and a supplementary piece in the Kane deal) - and, really, that pick was impossible to screw up.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
GMs get too much praise for drafts and take too much blame for them. Most GMs aren't involved in the drafts at all. Even a guy like Murray who scouts more than probably any GM isn't nearly as involved as the scouts seeing certain guys play 8-15 times a season. And Murray did less scouting for the 2014 draft when you factor in he was transitioning to the organization. That said many of Ottawa's picks and some of the picks Buffalo has made since Murray came here have been of the "long road ahead" type of pick. The same things we're saying about Eric Cornel were said about Mark Stone. We'll just have to hope Murray is as smart as they say.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't think that's the position of the post.
VK is a step up potential wise from a couple we have under contract now, and while the ideal scenario is to have 50 contracts that will achieve potential or close to it the reality is that a certain number of signings will always be a crap shoot.
The ideal scenario is to have <50 contracts that will achieve potential so you always have some powder dry for a UDFA/collegiate signing, and/or a unequal trade of pro contracts. I agree with the rest of your post.

They should make their decision about Karabacek based on his own merits, not those of some abstract player.

If you're going to do this, someone needs to be willing to give up something for a guy who's going to re-enter the draft and be available with a mid-to-late pick. There is not exactly a lot of history of teams trading for guys who can re-enter the draft.

And is drafting a player in the 2nd round, signing him and having him sit in the ECHL for three years any less of a black spot? The player's still as much of a bust either way. That 2nd round pick is a sunk cost. It's used up regardless. Don't compound the issue by signing a player you don't see as having any future just to save face about not having an unsigned 2nd rounder.

For the record, I don't have any particular opinion one way or another about whether they should sign Karabacek. I don't watch him play. If they do sign him, though, it had certainly better be because they think he can contribute at the NHL or even just AHL level and not because "why not?" or because he was a 2nd rounder.
100% agree

If Buffalo is expecting to sign more players than normal for 17/18 season. in part so they aren't exposed in the expansion draft so they want to save the contract space--then that fine.
If BUF is going to pursue that strategy of a couple incremental signings as expansion draft "buffer", I'd prefer they pursue and sign the best possible talent.

Powder dry.

I have no worries about contract spots. GMTM will just make a 4 for 1 trade instead of a 3 for 1. He seems to know how to thin the herd when needed.
Conversely, it makes it harder for him to do a 1 for 3 or a 1 for 4 deal if there are developing players in other organizations who would have a better fit in BUF (for any of a variety of reasons).

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
I will submit what GMTM did with Jonathan Parker is an example of my comment. Made the McNabb trade a 4 for 2 and moved a contract. Tricky but doable if the other team is sufficiently motivated.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

We currently only have 28 contracts for next season according to general fanager. Murray has the flexibility to end up with as many spare contract spots as he wants next season. This is as much of a non-issue as the "cap floor" IMO.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
We currently only have 28 contracts for next season according to general fanager. Murray has the flexibility to end up with as many spare contract spots as he wants next season. This is as much of a non-issue as the "cap floor" IMO.

If we really need a slot we just ship out Cody's contract with a pick for future considerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad