Prospect Info: Vaclav Karabacek (2014, 49th) – '18-19: Clears unconditional waivers, ELC mutually terminated

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed that 2014's second round was a clunker for the most part. However, I'm still interested in knowing what's wrong with him.

Deleted member 27798

Murray's worst draft. Touted as a phenomenal scout and this is what he produced in the first 3 rounds with all the picks from Regier. Karabacek even got a preaseason game after his draft and then he missed curfew and got cut from the WJC team and its been downhill. (1 point in 7 games in the ECHL before the injury)

2nd Sam Reinhart (on pace for 24 points this year, albeit after putting up 42, 47 points as a 2nd overall who isn't great at really anything other then hockey sense although with his potential can be a solid winger on a 2nd or 3rd line who can put up 25-30 goals Andreychuk light with the right skilled players but he won't be a line driver)
Available: Draisaitl, W. Nylander, Pastrnak, Ehlers

31st Brendan Lemieux
Available: Barbashev, Demko, McKeown, Point, Dvorak, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Montour, Heinen, Arvidsson

44th Eric Cornel (22 points in 110 AHL games)
Available: McKeown, Point, Dvorak, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Montour, Heinen, Arvidsson, De Leo

49th Vaclav Karabacek (ECHL)
Available: McKeown, Point, Dvorak, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Montour, Heinen, Arvidsson, DeLeo

61st Jonas Johansson (ECHL)
Available: Point, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Heinen, Arvidsson, DeLeo, Blais, Wallmark, Bjork, Valiev, Tryamkin

74th Brycen Martin (ECHL, 0 points in 21 AHL games)
Available: Point, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Heinen, Arvidsson, DeLeo, Blais, Wallmark, Bjork, Nogier
It would have been more impressive, if you came out with this entire list of "must draft" prospects, prior to the draft. ;)

Reactions: Eichel9

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If you followed the draft you wouldn't be saying this. First our defence was hurting so the natural pick was defence. When Karabacek and Cornel were picked they were both reaches and Cornel was predicted 3rd round or later. Take a look back at the draft thread, myself and others were calling for McKeown, Dougherty and Montour to be drafted.

I don't have a problem with a bust in the second round. I have a problem when team need is defence and there is very good defensive prospects on the board and Murray is reaching. It just didn't make sense.
Why would you assume I don't follow the draft? I was stating that the names listed below our selections was a handful of good names, not any poor names. Just because you and some other posters wanted player x doesn't mean he would be the pick, maybe they had a shitty interview or they just didn't fit the "heavy" standard the team was building towards. All I am saying is essentially the draft is a crap shoot and you can be a great drafter or a bad drafter but your gunna miss on high picks and capitalize on low picks from time to time.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Why would you assume I don't follow the draft? I was stating that the names listed below our selections was a handful of good names, not any poor names. Just because you and some other posters wanted player x doesn't mean he would be the pick, maybe they had a ****ty interview or they just didn't fit the "heavy" standard the team was building towards. All I am saying is essentially the draft is a crap shoot and you can be a great drafter or a bad drafter but your gunna miss on high picks and capitalize on low picks from time to time.
Ya, it wasn't player X, why do you generalize when we are talking about a specific time. Is it because you don't know who payer X,Y and Z were?

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Ya, it wasn't player X, why do you generalize when we are talking about a specific time. Is it because you don't know who payer X,Y and Z were?
I generalize because it's rationale thought. We could have player A-Z and an argument could be made for either 1. I have never personally seen player y and player z sounds like a Russian forward so I can't comment. But seriously, if you want to argue that you thought player x was a better guy and still wanna keep riding that narrative to sound important, then by all means. I'm done hijacking Karabacek's thread.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
You can't just cherry pick the good names 3.5 years later lol. There are plenty of names that were bad picks for other teams as well.
I get what you're saying but if you look through threads many of us named guys on those lists that we wanted, especially defenseman. Ya you can't cherry pick but you can't get EVERY pick wrong. You have to hit on a pick there. Instead we came out empty handed in what was deemed the most important draft in Buffalo history at the time of Murray's hiring.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Murray's worst draft. Touted as a phenomenal scout and this is what he produced in the first 3 rounds with all the picks from Regier. Karabacek even got a preaseason game after his draft and then he missed curfew and got cut from the WJC team and its been downhill. (1 point in 7 games in the ECHL before the injury)

2nd Sam Reinhart (on pace for 24 points this year, albeit after putting up 42, 47 points as a 2nd overall who isn't great at really anything other then hockey sense although with his potential can be a solid winger on a 2nd or 3rd line who can put up 25-30 goals Andreychuk light with the right skilled players but he won't be a line driver)
Available: Draisaitl, W. Nylander, Pastrnak, Ehlers

31st Brendan Lemieux
Available: Barbashev, Demko, McKeown, Point, Dvorak, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Montour, Heinen, Arvidsson

44th Eric Cornel (22 points in 110 AHL games)
Available: McKeown, Point, Dvorak, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Montour, Heinen, Arvidsson, De Leo

Agree: McKeown should've been the pick here

49th Vaclav Karabacek (ECHL)
Available: McKeown, Point, Dvorak, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Montour, Heinen, Arvidsson, DeLeo

61st Jonas Johansson (ECHL)
Available: Point, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Heinen, Arvidsson, DeLeo, Blais, Wallmark, Bjork, Valiev, Tryamkin

74th Brycen Martin (ECHL, 0 points in 21 AHL games)
Available: Point, Labanc, Kase, Forsling, Heinen, Arvidsson, DeLeo, Blais, Wallmark, Bjork, Nogier

Yep, he had a bad draft. Unfortunately for us, he's the ONLY GM ever to have a poor draft his first year as GM. How unlucky for us.

As for the Hindsight arguments:

Agree with Draisaitl could've been the pick. W. Nylander was drafted where he was thought to be. If he would've been drafted Murray would've been CRUCIFIED for taking Nylander, let a lone Pastrnak(ranked in the 20's in some places) or Ehler. Like I said last month in another thread, to think we would've gotten the same results that those players are currently receiving, is showing your lack of understanding of the impact of having a higher level coach, a better supporting cast, and a better development system.

Lemieux was the highest rated skater that was scouted as a potential 1st round pick. Murray would've been crucified by a lot of posters for not taking what was a guy who was a ranked as a 1st round pick by some posters who fall in love with draft status. Of course, Barbashev was greatly loved by a lot of posters here(myself included), but I doubt we would have similar success in developing the other players, not to mention a lot of the guys you listed were REACHES at this spot(Kase was a 7th round pick in Anaheim, Arvdisson a 4th round pick, Labanc 6th round pick, Dvorak a LATE 2nd round pick, Forsling 5th round pick, Montour Late 2nd round pick, Henin 4th round pick).

I do believe a few of the picks would be best suited in addressing the defense he gutted, but I had zero confidence in the path that these guys took would be of a similar conclusion.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Murray didn't even have his scouting staff in place for this draft. This draft was more on Devine and his staff than it was Murray. Devine has a terrible track record. Even the 2013 draft which looked to be his saving grace isn't looking so hot anymore.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well at least he's back on the ice, having played in the last 5 games. Still don't know what was wrong with him injury-wise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So game 20 for the season today... 4 assists and a -6 for the year. And still another year on his ELC. I wonder if they can Jonathan Parker him onto another team with a surplus of available contract slots?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
So game 20 for the season today... 4 assists and a -6 for the year. And still another year on his ELC. I wonder if they can Jonathan Parker him onto another team with a surplus of available contract slots?

Transfer him to the Bills to try out as a QB? He's started as many games for the Bills as Billy Jo Hobert, but has actually shown a propensity to read a playbook.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not surprising . He just never showed anything since being drafted. Time is running out for Cornel too in this organization.

The surprising part is that it was mutual.

I wonder if he has a team in Europe that he wants to sign with and the Sabres just want the contract to be freed up.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The surprising part is that it was mutual.

I wonder if he has a team in Europe that he wants to sign with and the Sabres just want the contract to be freed up.
That's pretty much always the case with mutual termination. He clearly has no place here going forward, so why not go back home rather than spend another year in the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->