Raptors Discussion: v72| ECQF | (1) Raptors vs (8) Wizards | Raptors win series 4-2 and advance to EC Semi-Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Basketball standings don't use a points system...

I checked the time of my post and TTBOMK I had finished watching the game, some of the Olympics and there were empties all over the place. AND I was posting about basketball on a hockey forum.

"Confusion" may be my epitaph.

The defense rests....:blush:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's cool to see that if DD's shot isn't falling he can just go into facilitator mode now. Another 30+ assist game for the Raps.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We look really really good. LBJ should be very concerned.
giphy.gif

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
To think the Raptors seemingly could never beat the Bulls, now they practically have turned the tide around.

Ever since this..........

And this.........

Kinda like when the Leafs ended the 14 game losing streak vs. Montreal earlier this year when Auston scored in OT. Next time they played- 6-0 Leafs shutout.

Got the monkey off the back and it's been a different story.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I really don't get what all this talk is about Cleveland being a threat again. Its only a matter of time before all the additions flame away and Cleveland becomes bad again. The additions like any trades always inject enthusiasm but this is in the short term, it always tends to simmer down. And it will with the Cavs as well.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I really don't get what all this talk is about Cleveland being a threat again. Its only a matter of time before all the additions flame away and Cleveland becomes bad again. The additions like any trades always inject enthusiasm but this is in the short term, it always tends to simmer down. And it will with the Cavs as well.

I actually think that what has happened is their problems as a squad have become super inflated and instead of seeing things as an issue of cohesion and in the end animosity, people are looking at them as if it was a problem of talent. The reason why they are back in the conversation is that a motivated Lebron James surrounded by good shooters and average defenders can single handedly get his way into the finals. There are questions about his age and durability though there shouldn't be as he hasn't shown any sign of wear. So while I think Cleveland is worse than they were last year and have no chance at winning a title, it would be foolish to think that they also couldn't walk into every series in the East and near sweep there way to the finals. I personally don't think they will but until someone actually beats him, you cannot count him out

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nance is the only guy that they acquired who could be considered an average or better defender, and Hill, Hood, and Clarkson are among the worst. And really, if you look at this season's stats, the only guys on Cleveland that are not actually in the minus are Nance, LeBron, and Love.

On the flip side, the only guy that has been a negative on the Raps is Powell, and maybe Ibaka.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Bosh wants to come back (what else is new), but if it's there, he wants to come back before the March deadline and his top three destinations are us, the Warriors and Rockets:

Chris Bosh makes himself available to the highest-bidding NBA contender

All the while, Bosh has maintained that an NBA comeback isn’t out of the realm of possibility. On Thursday, he made the leap to not only saying he was ready for a return, but ready for one now, even referencing the March 1 deadline for teams to acquire players and keep them eligible for the playoffs.

“Next season, yeah,” Bosh said of his comeback plan. “The roster spots haven’t been filled this season yet, so it’s always a possibility.”

Asked which teams he might be open to joining, Bosh specifically named the Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors and Toronto Raptors — his “top three” teams. Pressed on which team he would join if the Raptors or Cleveland Cavaliers came calling, Bosh added, “Whoever makes me the best deal.”​

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Nance is the only guy that they acquired who could be considered an average or better defender, and Hill, Hood, and Clarkson are among the worst. And really, if you look at this season's stats, the only guys on Cleveland that are not actually in the minus are Nance, LeBron, and Love.

On the flip side, the only guy that has been a negative on the Raps is Powell, and maybe Ibaka.

Context my man. George Hill is a good defender at his position. His year in Sacramento has not been good on that front but his work on Kyrie was excellent in his first game with the Cavs. I'll go with a careers worth of data over half a season in the worst franchise in the league. Hood's defensive rating is the same as Nance's.

They are long and athletic and decent defensively as a unit, not elite by any means but they don't have to be. Don't sleep on them is all I'm saying because LBJ can take over any series and if you cannot contain him and guys around him are hitting shots than neither us or Boston have anything to slow them down with.

Reactions: Kurtz

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Context my man. George Hill is a good defender at his position. His year in Sacramento has not been good on that front but his work on Kyrie was excellent in his first game with the Cavs. I'll go with a careers worth of data over half a season in the worst franchise in the league. Hood's defensive rating is the same as Nance's.

They are long and athletic and decent defensively as a unit, not elite by any means but they don't have to be. Don't sleep on them is all I'm saying because LBJ can take over any series and if you cannot contain him and guys around him are hitting shots than neither us or Boston have anything to slow them down with.

I agree with you. There is no need to get cocky. But at the same time, I do think Raps have a really good shot at beating them in the playoffs this time around. It's even quite possible that somebody might take them out before we even have to face them.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hill hasn’t had a decent DBPM since 2013-14 and Hood’s been a negative his entire career. There’s a reason why Utah got rid of him and it wasn’t because of his contract status. They knew they were better when he was off the court. He was essentially their Terrence Ross.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Good for him, but we don't have the $$$ and we have too many bigs as it is.

We have the $$$ for a playoff run and if he has game that is 75% of what he used to have, he instantly becomes part of the rotation before Siakam. Better yet there is no harm in playing a big lineup with Bosh taking over for OG at times in the starting 5. You can create some mismatches and give opponents fits.

Listen the way Masai was speaking, he said we could see some "surprises" prior to March 1. Maybe he was eluding to Bosh that wasn't on radar until a couple of days ago and after his comment.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I remember looking at the odds a few weeks ago and thinking the Raptors aren't getting enough respect. I con't know the odds offhand but in general, any thoughts? Could it be a case of a Canadian team who has never won before being considered to have no shot? Again, I can't remember the numbers but the odds on the Raptors going to the finals looked pretty juicy, I think they were at least 8-1 or something like that. I haven't be in a while but I just might do it now, mostly just for fun but I think the odds might make it a +EV bet as well.

+EV = "positive expected value" for those not familiar with this poker term coined by David Sklansky.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hill hasn’t had a decent DBPM since 2013-14 and Hood’s been a negative his entire career. There’s a reason why Utah got rid of him and it wasn’t because of his contract status. They knew they were better when he was off the court. He was essentially their Terrence Ross.

Totally agree with this analysis. This is why I don't get what exactly made the Cavs better. They are still going to give up points and are not scoring at the rate they have before.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I remember looking at the odds a few weeks ago and thinking the Raptors aren't getting enough respect. I con't know the odds offhand but in general, any thoughts? Could it be a case of a Canadian team who has never won before being considered to have no shot? Again, I can't remember the numbers but the odds on the Raptors going to the finals looked pretty juicy, I think they were at least 8-1 or something like that. I haven't be in a while but I just might do it now, mostly just for fun but I think the odds might make it a +EV bet as well.

+EV = "positive expected value" for those not familiar with this poker term coined by David Sklansky.

I think the odds are around 5:1 at this point. Still decent, but not great. We're still a sizeable underdog against playoff Lebron imo.

When the season started, Raptors were 15:1 to come out of the East and 4.5:1 to win the Division...even after Hayward's injury. I put $$ down on both positions - our bench was looking dominant enough to win us the Division, and with the Hayward injury, Cleveland looked like our only significant threat to come out of the East.

Those were can't pass odds. These updated odds aren't quite as juicy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think the odds are around 5:1 at this point. Still decent, but not great. We're still a sizeable underdog against playoff Lebron imo.

When the season started, Raptors were 15:1 to come out of the East and 4.5:1 to win the Division...even after Hayward's injury. I put $$ down on both positions - our bench was looking dominant enough to win us the Division, and with the Hayward injury, Cleveland looked like our only significant threat to come out of the East.

Those were can't pass odds. These updated odds aren't quite as juicy.

Wow, nice bets you have there. Good luck!

Yeah, 5-1 not nearly as juicy as 8-1, oh well.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Well guys, we can stop paying attention now. The only potential finals matchups worth considering have already been decided, and someone didn't make the cut. Might as well pack it in and go home. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->