Raptors Discussion: v71|RIP Bruno era (2014-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
continue.

First home game of the pre-season for the Raps. The roster stands at 17, needing to pare down 2 more spots out of a batch of 4 players: Malcolm Miller (2-way deal), Lorenzo Brown (2-way deal), Afonzo McKinnie, and K.J. McDaniels.

The 2-way contracts are basically not in the running because they go to the d-league without any issues. So it comes down to if they'll keep both of McKinnie and McDaniels or if they'll drop to 14 players on the roster and keep a flex spot open.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Mah Gawd! Anunoby! That's Anunoby's music! Anunoby's here, live at the ACC! Mah Gawd!

*cue pyro*

For those of you who don't get the late 90s wrestling reference, Raps 1st rounder OG Anunoby is actually playing in the pre-season game right now, in spite of the fact that we weren't expecting him to be available until at least into November.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Why even bother having a f***ing season? Why don't we just let Golden State and OKC play a quick series, and then the winner can play Cleveland for the NBA championship?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Mah Gawd! Anunoby! That's Anunoby's music! Anunoby's here, live at the ACC! Mah Gawd!

*cue pyro*

For those of you who don't get the late 90s wrestling reference, Raps 1st rounder OG Anunoby is actually playing in the pre-season game right now, in spite of the fact that we weren't expecting him to be available until at least into November.

Lol I don't know why, but "real American" dropped in my head as the entry music. Odd choice, but I rolled with it.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I'm really enjoying the new game plan we're starting to see. The ball movement has to stick, it'll really bring us to another level. I'm not 100% sold on the 3pt shooting volume though. I don't think we have the shooters for it but I'm willing to give it a run for a couple months. I'm happy to see DD shoot more of them from above the break off of good ball movement and if we can keep it limited to CJ, Norm and Ibaka mostly from the corners (where we naturally generate a ton of open looks anyways) I can live with it. I really like the dynamic of FVV and Delon on the floor at the same time and having OG back to start the year, even though his impact wont be too much, really makes that draft a huge steal. Poeltl is going to be a player, I think he'll be big for us this year.

When you look at that bench unit its crazy to think that during this time that we've been finishing top 4 in the East, we've been able to draft ourselves a handful of contributors over that time period. Not easy in the NBA and while so many people get hung up on Bruno, if that known gamble is the only real guy to not make it then Masai has done a hell of a job.

Reactions: LeafsSkull

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I'm really enjoying the new game plan we're starting to see. The ball movement has to stick, it'll really bring us to another level. I'm not 100% sold on the 3pt shooting volume though. I don't think we have the shooters for it but I'm willing to give it a run for a couple months. I'm happy to see DD shoot more of them from above the break off of good ball movement and if we can keep it limited to CJ, Norm and Ibaka mostly from the corners (where we naturally generate a ton of open looks anyways) I can live with it. I really like the dynamic of FVV and Delon on the floor at the same time and having OG back to start the year, even though his impact wont be too much, really makes that draft a huge steal. Poeltl is going to be a player, I think he'll be big for us this year.

When you look at that bench unit its crazy to think that during this time that we've been finishing top 4 in the East, we've been able to draft ourselves a handful of contributors over that time period. Not easy in the NBA and while so many people get hung up on Bruno, if that known gamble is the only real guy to not make it then Masai has done a hell of a job.
Did Casey come out and say he will be changing up the game plan and include more ball movement and 3PA? I haven't watched a preseason game yet so I am definitely missing something here.

I hope you're right. This team was always held back by system/lack of ball movement/lack of shooting threats.

Also, I am a big Anunoby fan. I think he will become superstar for us if he fully recovers. He's got all the tools and the athleticism to be a Kawhi type player.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Did Casey come out and say he will be changing up the game plan and include more ball movement and 3PA? I haven't watched a preseason game yet so I am definitely missing something here.

I hope you're right. This team was always held back by system/lack of ball movement/lack of shooting threats.

Also, I am a big Anunoby fan. I think he will become superstar for us if he fully recovers. He's got all the tools and the athleticism to be a Kawhi type player.

I agree on OG. He needs to develop his offensive game but that's something this club has a good track record with so I'm excited to see how he works out.

I haven't heard anything more specific from Casey other than what we've been hearing all summer but I could have missed it. Its early and we've only played like 3 games but here are some basic stat differences.

2016-2017 - 18.5 ast/39.2 fgm
2017 -2018 Preseason - 23.3 ast/36.3 fgm

That's an almost 20 point increase in ast% (I stress very very early) but you can just see the better ball movement in general when watching

2016-2017 - 24.3 3PA with 36.3% made
2017-2018 - 41.3 3PA with 29.8% made

So a huge increase in attempts. Its real obvious watching the game that everyone is just launching 3's. Hard to say how long that will last as that shooting % is dying but we have guys chucking shots right now that really shouldn't be in any real game situation. I don't mind DD shooting through some tough stretches as sometimes his 3 looks real good and others it looks real bad lol. But I think if he's wise with his selection even hitting 2 or 3 a game can help stretch the floor for him.

Also so far CJ is basically everything we hoped Carroll would be. He is lights out from the corner and while not the best defender he is long and seems to work hard and hustle out there.

I'm interested to see how this will play out in the season.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Raptors News http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2017/10/11/raptors-sign-davion-berry-exhibit-10-contract/
Raptors sign Davion Berry to Exhibit 10 contract

792c239a28fd49edbd8e3bbbccdac386

By Blake Murphy

The Toronto Raptors are signing Davion Berry to an Exhibit 10 contract, Raptors Republic has learned.
The move comes on the heels of the Raptors waiving Andy Rautins, Kyle Wiltjer, and Kennedy Meeks last week. While it may seem odd at first blush to sign someone to a camp deal at this late juncture, the team could use some additional guard depth as the preseason wears on and bodies grow tired. The team has a lot of practice time left before the season begins, and Berry can drop in to proceedings with relative ease, having played with the Raptors at Summer League in 2016 and with Raptors 905 prior to that. Even with the late start, Berry will have an opportunity to make a strong impression in the event guard depth is needed at some point during the regular season, and there are still technically two roster spots up for grabs.
Signing Berry now also allows the Raptors to shift Berry to their G-League pipeline when camp draws to a close. The 905 already own his returning player rights, but this bit of accounting gives the Raptors the chance to make a return to the junior circuit a little more worth his while. The nature of Berry’s Exhibit 10 contract – the same deal Meeks was on in camp – means he’ll receive a $50,000 bonus should he be waived and spend 60 days with the 905. It’s a nice supplement to the modest G-League salaries, similar to how the Raptors have offered partial guarantees to G-League Affiliate Players (or players whose rights they already held) in the past. The Exhibit 10 can also be converted to a two-way contract, though the Raptors already have both of their two-way slots filled (Lorenzo Brown and Malcolm Miller).
That this will not be Berry’s first time in the Raptors’ system is part of the draw here. Raptors 905 acquired him at the trade deadline during the 2015-16 season for a third-round pick and the returning player rights to Abdul Gaddy. Over the season’s stretch run, Berry played his way into a spot at the offseason G-League minicamp showcase, averaging 17.9 points, 2.6 rebounds, 3.7 assists, and 1.1 steals in 10 games with the 905. An injury kept him from participating in the mini-camp, but his strong stint with the 905 helped land him a spot on the Raptors’ Summer League team that July, then a deal with Kolossos Rodou of the Greek League and, later, Walter Tigers Tubingen of the German BBL.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Anunoby has been a quick study with Raptors

The Raptors felt OG Anunoby was a top 10 player in the draft but he fell to them at 23, now after an impressive showing against the Pistons some are wondering if he'll be able to make the rotation to start the season. Josh Lewenberg has more.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/video/anunoby-has-been-a-quick-study-with-raptors~1229810

I was very impressed with him. If he keeps it up, he should definitely crack the big league roster.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Apparently Kevin Love is playing the 5 this season. Which kind of pushes the Raptors to do the same with Serge, at least on nights where they're not playing a true 5 (ala Drummond, Gobert, Vucevic, etc.).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Apparently Kevin Love is playing the 5 this season. Which kind of pushes the Raptors to do the same with Serge, at least on nights where they're not playing a true 5 (ala Drummond, Gobert, Vucevic, etc.).

It was my understanding that was their plan all along when they were in heavy "shop JV" mode earlier in the summer. Curious who they'll lean towards playing the 4 with Serge and how that then impacts the 2nd unit. Anunoby would seem to be the realistic small-ball 4 if/when he's ready, but given Casey's love of a small, tight rotation, Valanciunas is basically locked into the bench 5 spot unless/until he's traded and that leaves Poeltl, Siakam, and Nogueira all fighting for that bench 4 position.

Sucks for Bebe since I could see him as the odd-man-out (the staff seems to really like Poeltl, with good reason since he is very much in the lunchpail mold that Casey covets, and Siakam needs some run to show off his improvement from last year). I really think he could be a great backup 5 for this team if he got the opportunity to play all the time. He's long enough to defend bigs, but quick enough to run. And while he's not enough of a shooter to drift away from the hoop he's got surprisingly soft hands and good passing acumen for a modern, run-the-floor type athletic big. I think that's a big benefit to a second unit that will need all the ball movers it can get to make up for the lack of primetime scoring punch.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
It was my understanding that was their plan all along when they were in heavy "shop JV" mode earlier in the summer. Curious who they'll lean towards playing the 4 with Serge and how that then impacts the 2nd unit. Anunoby would seem to be the realistic small-ball 4 if/when he's ready, but given Casey's love of a small, tight rotation, Valanciunas is basically locked into the bench 5 spot unless/until he's traded and that leaves Poeltl, Siakam, and Nogueira all fighting for that bench 4 position.

Sucks for Bebe since I could see him as the odd-man-out (the staff seems to really like Poeltl, with good reason since he is very much in the lunchpail mold that Casey covets, and Siakam needs some run to show off his improvement from last year). I really think he could be a great backup 5 for this team if he got the opportunity to play all the time. He's long enough to defend bigs, but quick enough to run. And while he's not enough of a shooter to drift away from the hoop he's got surprisingly soft hands and good passing acumen for a modern, run-the-floor type athletic big. I think that's a big benefit to a second unit that will need all the ball movers it can get to make up for the lack of primetime scoring punch.

I imagine it would be Pascal, given the athleticism and ability to cover the perimeter if need be. Ideally, OG is a beast and just blows people away. But I'm approaching it from the 0 expectations, pleasantly surprised if he contributes, given the health.

JV does seem like the odd ball, however. They're saying he's improved immensely, so let's see how things look.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I imagine it would be Pascal, given the athleticism and ability to cover the perimeter if need be. Ideally, OG is a beast and just blows people away. But I'm approaching it from the 0 expectations, pleasantly surprised if he contributes, given the health.

JV does seem like the odd ball, however. They're saying he's improved immensely, so let's see how things look.

Is he in the best shape of his life? :sarcasm:

I watched parts of 3 of the pre-season games so far and there were flashes of better ball movement from Jonas, but I'm not sold until he keeps it up for an extended run.

Tonight's game vs Chicago is on TSN2, so there's one last chance to see him before the season begins.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Missed a good chunk of the first half. Didn't see the starters on the court much.

It does look like they're pushing Siakam harder. They're playing JV with teh starting unit instead of Ibaka at the 5 right now (3rd Q), and then it's Siakam as the 4 with Norm, DeRozan, & Lowry.

Anunoby has some FT issues. he's a bit of a stiff shooter with big-man's form issues (there's a disconnect between him rising in his shooting form and releasing the ball, which kills his energy transfer and produces stiff, inconsistent shots. I called it big-man's issues because it's the kind of wonky shooting you usually see in interior 4s and 5s who never need to make use of a proper jump shot to teach them consistent, smooth mechanics. It's kind of shot-put-y) But he's got gobs of energy and motor and he was very active defensively and on the glass.

Miles looks like his shooting form is set already. He's a dead eye gunner from the perimeter, which is nice. He even seems to shoot well running into the 3pt shoulder in transition, which is usually a very tough shot.

I don't necessarily love the VanVleet/Wright combo backcourt. They had some tunnelvision issues and I would prefer to see the ball in Wright's hands more in those situations rather than FVV being the primary handler (Which he seemed to take the role of by force of personality)

Poeltl looks solid and it seems like the coaches have put their trust in him. Poor Bebe, he deserves better.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Feel bad for Hayward. Similar to PG a few years ago. Good luck to him.

That said, couldn’t have happened to a better fan base. Also lol at Donald Trump tweeting out well wishes. I wonder if that tweet gets sent if it’s Jaylen Brown who blows out his leg. The short answer is “nah son”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->