Raptors Discussion: V67 | DeRozan puts the ball through the hoop with regularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Sid said it too... It's not only us, LJ is a superstar with a good supporting cast. Cavs/GS are already crowned, add SAA, who look like they could compete. Even ATL adding DH.

I agree! You need a big three to compete -- look at the best teams, they have it all. Only wonder if DC/Sully would make a difference, prob not.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
A rotten apple, to me. Guy is a loose cannon and I don't want him killing the vibe in the LR.

Isn't there other options? I wanted Millsap.

Lowry was a loose cannon too. Literally one of the least coachable players in the league when he was brought in. Having a veteran presence like him and DeRozan is exactly why I think DC could work out here. Seriously the environment here is a legitimate 180 from the toxicity in Sacramento.

And no, none that at least come to mind. Millsap was a target, but who knows if the Hawks would want to let him go now rather than try and make one last run with him.

cousins is a stats padder on bad teams. like love was.

Because no superstar would stat pad on a bad team?

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
his usage rates are extremely extreme.

and despite having some good players around him his teams hav3 never not sucked.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jonas is the key tonight. The Warriors really don't have the interior pieces to handle an athletic proper C like him. Pachulia is a nice guy for a league that's moving towards 5s that are more like stretch 4s, but he's not someone that runs with the big boys in the middle full time.

and lol, JaVale McGee.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
We have a very good team and we beat Cavs twice in the playoffs last year. It just doesn't get much better than that.

LeBron is pretty much an unstoppable force. It's going to be really difficult for any team to beat Cavs if he is healthy. At the same time DD has really significantly elevated his own game this year.

Agreed that it's a long shot, but it's what we've got ('cause LBJ isn't coming here).

Boogie would increase our odds for sure, but at what price? Losing JV, TRoss and 1st rounders is like betting everything on one number in roulette. It's great when you win, but you probably won't.

But its not just the Cavs or Lebron you have to beat.

I actually tried to introduce a friend to the game recently and they could not for the life of them figure out how fouls work. I couldnt really explain it either.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Not sure why JV only played 12 minutes. They could not stop him or keep him off the glass. Raptors have no chance beating the Warriors by playing small.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure why JV only played 12 minutes. They could not stop him or keep him off the glass. Raptors have no chance beating the Warriors by playing small.

Because our coach is DUMB and plays favorites. When JV was involved in the offense in the 1st we were winning big. When he was sitting on the bench most of then 2nd and we went back to jumpshooting we go down big.

I always said Demar shooting at the career high percentage that he's currently shooting at is unsustanable and I'll never understand why Casey will NEVER consistently keep our bigs involved even when they can get you easy points while the rest of our team jump shoots us into a deep hole.

I don't get how you can be 6 for 6, kill the offense glass, and only play 12 mins.

Casey really ****ing hates JV.

Casey really does hate JV it seems and I think he truly doesn't want JV to ever outshine Demar which is why he's never given him a consistent chance to succeed while giving Demar every chance to succeed even when he's hurting the team so often.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I don't get how you can be 6 for 6, kill the offense glass, and only play 12 mins.

Casey really ****ing hates JV.

Not really. It's Golden State going small and running Green at center. Going small to match them.

I disagree with that philosophy of matching though, drive the ball into JV and tell Green good luck defending him as much as JV may struggle with Green's speed.

But that's the idea of what Casey is doing. It has nothing to do with hating JV and everything to do with Golden States insanity lineup.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not really. It's Golden State going small and running Green at center. Going small to match them.

I disagree with that philosophy of matching though, drive the ball into JV and tell Green good luck defending him as much as JV may struggle with Green's speed.

But that's the idea of what Casey is doing. It has nothing to do with hating JV and everything to do with Golden States insanity lineup.

Stop it. I won't have any of this rational tactical nonsense when you could instead be forwarding a crank theory about how a pro coach has an axe to grind and uses playing time to further his personal agenda/bias for stupid, selfish, or petty reasons.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sid said it too... It's not only us, LJ is a superstar with a good supporting cast. Cavs/GS are already crowned, add SAA, who look like they could compete. Even ATL adding DH.

I agree! You need a big three to compete -- look at the best teams, they have it all. Only wonder if DC/Sully would make a difference, prob not.

Dwight Howard doesn't count as a "big 3" piece anymore. He's not the same player once his defence started declining.

And I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I listen to Sid Sixeiro's opinion on anything.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Stop it. I won't have any of this rational tactical nonsense when you could instead be forwarding a crank theory about how a pro coach has an axe to grind and uses playing time to further his personal agenda/bias for stupid, selfish, or petty reasons.

You're right. I'm sorry. I'll begin writing my Fire Caseys for the next few posts.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005

Even if Casey doesn't 'hate' JV he clearly REFUSES to give him a consistent chance to succeed or to tell Lowry and the team to consistently run plays for him when everyone else can't shoot worth a damn like now.

How else can you explain that Knicks big Kristaps Porzingis can average more minutes played and more field goal attempts in his first two seasons in the league than JV has EVER HAD IN ALL HIS FOUR SEASONS with the Raps?? Why are the Knicks perfectly fine with giving a young 2nd year player an average of 14 SHOTS PER GAME this season while the Raps can't give 4th year JV even 10 shots a game despite shooting a higher percentage than Porzingis? Because of our MORON SELFISH coach and NO OTHER REASON.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Even if Casey doesn't 'hate' JV he clearly REFUSES to give him a consistent chance to succeed or to tell Lowry and the team to consistently run plays for him when everyone else can't shoot worth a damn like now.

How else can you explain that Knicks big Kristaps Porzingis can average more minutes played and more field goal attempts in his first two seasons in the league than JV has EVER HAD IN ALL HIS FOUR SEASONS with the Raps?? Why are the Knicks perfectly fine with giving a young 2nd year player an average of 14 SHOTS PER GAME this season while the Raps can't give 4th year JV even 10 shots a game despite shooting a higher percentage than Porzingis? Because of our MORON SELFISH coach and NO OTHER REASON.

Is your keyboard melting after giving such a blistering hot take?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

Um...ok then.

Kristaps is a bad comparison. They play entirely different positions. Kristaps plays a stretch game and shoots more threes and long range jumpers thus his shooting % is going to look worse. He can also guard the 4 which is something JV might be able to do.

Casey is a fine coach. Meaning I doubt there is much better out there. As I said above and will re-iterate for you is that Casey matches. I disagree with that, but that's what he does. When the other team goes small, he will match with a small lineup, usually consisting of Lowry and Joseph and either Patterson or a faster big playing at center.

I feel he should dictate the lineup. If they want to go small, let them. Beat them with your best lineup. I feel JV should get more floor time sometimes, but to say there is no reason and yell a bunch more in a very difficult to follow post, isn't accurate.

Last edited:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Casey never makes opponents adjust to him. Keep feeding JV and make the Warriors not go small. It's not like going small to match them has ****ing worked.

Casey refuses to get ahead. Just decides to match. Make them match us.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Casey never makes opponents adjust to him. Keep feeding JV and make the Warriors not go small. It's not like going small to match them has ****ing worked.

Casey refuses to get ahead. Just decides to match. Make them match us.

I agree with that. He doesn't. But when you have a lineup of Green, Durant, Klay Thompson, Igoudala and Curry, you're pretty much ****ed no matter what you do.

Leave in JV to face Green? You're ****ed.
Take JV out for someone else to face Green? You're ****ed.

He should dictate the matchups more, but he doesn't and never has. That's my only criticism of him. Other than that I feel he manages a pretty good ball game.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Um...ok then.

Kristaps is a bad comparison. They play entirely different positions. Kristaps plays a stretch game and shoots more threes and long range jumpers thus his shooting % is going to look worse. He can also guard the 4 which is something JV might be able to do.

Casey is a fine coach. Meaning I doubt there is much better out there. As I said above and will re-iterate for you is that Casey matches. I disagree with that, but that's what he does. When the other team goes small, he will match with a small lineup, usually consisting of Lowry and Joseph and either Patterson or a faster big playing at center.

I feel he should dictate the lineup. If they want to go small, let them. Beat them with your best lineup. I feel JV should get more floor time sometimes, but to say there is no reason and yell a bunch more in a very difficult to follow post, isn't accurate.

My point with the Porzingis comparison is that Knicks coach Hornacek has more faith in his 2nd year player than Casey EVER has in JV even after his performance in the playoffs last season. There is absolutely NO REASON why JV can't in his 4th year average at least 30 mins per game shooting at least 10-15 shots. Absolutely NONE other than Casey is stupid and refuses to run any plays for him to score easy points.

And I disagree that Casey is a good coach when he consistently gets out coached by his counterpart. And no good coach wouldn't utilize JV who's a high percentage shooter who is also a high percentage FT shooter. It should be a no brainer to just dump the ball into him and let JV either score or get fouled and get easy points through him rather than let Demar and Lowry make bad shot after bad shot and lose winnable games for us.

People can talk about JV being 'too slow' all they want, but its pretty damn clear that playing 'small ball' isn't working and often isn't improving our defense so why wouldn't you play JV and run plays for him for easy points and on defense just let him simply plug up the paint and be a big body that's hard to push around? A good coach should be able to utilize his player's strengths and also make the other team adjust to him as someone else pointed out. Casey doesn't neither which is why we will never beat the best teams in the league consistently.

I mean really there's something seriously wrong when your coach states publicly that he'll 'ride or die' with Demar and Lowry rather than look to the rest of his team to pick up the slack when our 'stars' are sucking the big one. That is just one DUMB AND STUBBORN coach who refuses to adjust and adapt as the game is going on and things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad