Raptors Discussion: V67 | DeRozan puts the ball through the hoop with regularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Shameful, shameful officiating.

Sad as hell that there's no accountability for the refs. Clowns will just keep doing this.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Should have won. Derozan coming back really messed up the flow of the offense. I know he is the leading scorer in the league but I wish we wouldn't force feed him when his shot is off.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Love our team regardless but they're no Cavaliers.

This affirms the notion that we're one piece away. This is the closest we'll get. Masai has to do something and get that missing piece.

Boogie Cousins.

:popcorn:

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
What do you think Cousins is?

Im talking LeBron level. Cousins aint there.

We need to counter the LeBron/Shaq/Kobe effect.

If Vince wasnt even big enough (and hes as close to supermegaultrasuperduper star as the Raps have ever had) I dpnt think Cousins is.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I like Valanciunas but he just doesn't fit with this offense or our coach. If there was a way to get Cousins for Valanciunas, Ross and our 1st that'd be amazing. Or get a 3rd team involved like Philadelphia maybe.

To Toronto
Cousins

To Sacramento
Valanciunas
Toronto 1st round pick
Noels

To Philadelphia
Ross
???

Probably horrible proposals since I don't follow many other teams other than the Raptors. So don't know values of players in the NBA but I've seen many trades in the NBA that seemed questionable for one team.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

If Vince wasnt even big enough (and hes as close to supermegaultrasuperduper star as the Raps have ever had) I dpnt think Cousins is.

LeBron by himself isn't actually an issue, it's the fact that he has a legitimate supporting cast. Adding Boogie to KL and DD to create a true big three would be huge.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

The supporting team Vince had probably wasn't as good. If McGrady had stuck around, who knows?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't understand people saying this team can't win. Cleveland can win though as I understand it correct? Well we came within an inch of beating beat them on their home court despite not playing close to our best and having the refs against us. I really don't see why can't win. We're a long shot but it's far from impossible.

Go Raptors. I'm behind you all the way! :yo:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
torvsgsw-web-111616.jpg

http://www.nba.com/raptors/gameday-111616

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Warriors
Posted: Nov 16, 2016

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com

The Raptors return to Toronto after dropping a close 121-117 decision to the Cleveland Cavaliers where the Golden State Warriors are waiting. The Warriors come to Toronto with an 8-2 record after defeating the Phoenix Suns 133-120on Sunday night. While Toronto was in Cleveland taking on the Cavaliers, the Warriors were arriving in Toronto and holding an evening practice session in advance of Wednesday's game.

Tip-off: 8:00 P.M. ET

Broadcast Info: TSN / SN590
TALKING POINTS

Lessons learned

Prior to Toronto’s game in Cleveland, DeMar DeRozan was asked about the team’s Eastern Conference Finals matchup against the Cavaliers last May. After falling to Cleveland in six games, DeRozan re-signed with the Raptors in July and spent the rest of his summer training with Team USA alongside teammate Kyle Lowry before going to Rio and winning a gold medal in the Olympics.

He credits his playoffs run with helping to teach this Raptors team about what is necessary to win. More than just the playoffs run from a season ago, DeRozan also pointed to the painful four-game sweep at the hands of the Washington Wizards in 2015.

“Even two years ago when we got swept, that gave us a very valuable lesson,†DeRozan said. “Understanding how hard we have to work, the preparation, everything that we have to do just to get back to this point and go beyond it. Last year, it hurt so bad, getting to the Eastern Conference [Finals], knowing you were two games away from the Finals, [then it] knocks you right back down to reality, understanding okay, this is what we’ve got to do and how we’ve got to do it if we want to be a better team.â€

Up for the challenge

There isn’t any team in the league that looks forward to a back-to-back, but a road game against the Cavaliers followed by a home game against the Warriors back-to-back is a little extra shot of difficult. Still, the Raptors are embracing the challenge.

“As a competitor you look forward to it,†DeRozan said. “It’s something you look at and you can’t wait to test yourself. You’re playing against the two teams that were in the Finals last year. It doesn’t get any better than that this early in the season.â€

After dropping a close decision against the Cavaliers, the Raptors are returning to Toronto to shake off Tuesday’s game and move their focus ahead to Wednesday without getting caught up in calibre of opponents.

“For us it’s just another back-to-back of the season,†Lowry said. “It just happens to be with two of the best teams in the league.â€

Raptors vets talk importance of preparation

With experience comes knowledge. After making it to the Eastern Conference Finals a season ago, DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry spent much of their offseason together with Team USA preparing for the Rio Olympics. During that time, they also picked the brains of the USA coaching staff, as well as the rest of the Team USA roster. Thanks to their time with the national team and the rigours of going through a playoff run that extended their season to the end of May, the duo is more conscientious than ever before about taking care of their bodies.

DeRozan has started the season on a tear, leading the league in scoring. He has frequently mentioned the importance of taking care of things away from the floor so he’s able to give his best effort each night.

“It’s everything,†DeRozan said. “100 percent. If you want to go out and perform the way that you should, that you want to, you have to eat right, take care of your body, because it’s a long season. It’s a very long season. You’re going to have your ups and downs. You’ve got to be as best prepared as possible.â€

Lowry, the eldest player on Toronto’s roster at 30 years of age, stressed the importance of the little things when it comes to maintaining form throughout an 82-game regular season.

“It’s always a priority for me,†Lowry said. “I take care of my body offseason, [as well as] during the season. The minutes that we’re playing, we prepare our bodies for that, we prepare our minds for that, and we know what we have to do. Taking care of your body is a big thing. Finding ways to get extra rest in, make sure you get your treatment, ice, having time to relax is very important throughout this type of season.â€

Game day: Golden State Warriors at Toronto Raptors

Kevin Durant is averaging 27.7 points per game in his first 10 games with Golden State.

By Doug SmithSports Reporter
Tues., Nov. 15, 2016

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapt...golden-state-warriors-at-toronto-raptors.html

AIR CANADA CENTRE

TIPOFF: Wednesday, 8 p.m.

TV: TSN

RADIO: Sportsnet FAN590

PROBABLE STARTERS

Golden State: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Zaza Pachulia.

Toronto: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, DeMarre Carroll, Pascal Siakam, Jonas Valanciunas.

KEY MATCHUP

Stephen Curry, Warriors, vs. Kyle Lowry, Raptors: The hits keep coming for Lowry, who’s had Russell Westbrook, Kemba Walker, Derrick Rose and Kyrie Irving to deal with in the last week. Curry is unique among them because of his three-point shooting ability.

NEED TO KNOW

It’s Drake Night at the ACC as the Raptors fete the global ambassador one more time . . . The Warriors are beginning a four-game road trip in the Eest, with stops in Boston, Milwaukee and Indiana, while the Raptors are playing their second game in back-to-back nights and start a five-game road trip Friday . . . Kevin Durant is averaging 27.7 points per game in his first 10 games with Golden State, right around his career mark of 27.4. Durant has won four scoring titles since 2009-10; Curry led the league last season Curry is shooting 47.5 per cent from three-point range and taking 10 shots from behind the arc on average each game.

UP NEXT

Friday at Denver, 9 p.m.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
LeBron by himself isn't actually an issue, it's the fact that he has a legitimate supporting cast. Adding Boogie to KL and DD to create a true big three would be huge.

Cleveland has NO answer for Cousins and he'll score at free will inside.

He's as ideal a fit as there ever has been. It's a pipe dream to acquire him but if it costs us Valanciunas + Ross + multiple 1st rounders, I'd do it!

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I don't understand people saying this team can't win. Cleveland can win though as I understand it correct? Well we came within an inch of beating beat them on their home court despite not playing close to our best and having the refs against us. I really don't see why can't win. We're a long shot but it's far from impossible.

Go Raptors. I'm behind you all the way! :yo:

We have a very good team and we beat Cavs twice in the playoffs last year. It just doesn't get much better than that.

LeBron is pretty much an unstoppable force. It's going to be really difficult for any team to beat Cavs if he is healthy. At the same time DD has really significantly elevated his own game this year.

Agreed that it's a long shot, but it's what we've got ('cause LBJ isn't coming here).

Boogie would increase our odds for sure, but at what price? Losing JV, TRoss and 1st rounders is like betting everything on one number in roulette. It's great when you win, but you probably won't.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I would trade JV+Ross+1st for Cousins every day of the week twice on Sunday.

That's what this team needs, a game changing superstar. And it's gravy that he's a huge presence down low.

Only way for this team to match up and compete with the other stacked teams of the league is to acquire another superstar. Cousins is that guy

Lowry
DeRozan
Carroll
Cousins
Sullinger (when he's back)

Joseph
Powell
Patterson
Siakam
Poeltl

Wright, Caboclo, Nogueira

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Isn't Cousins a notorious headcase making trading for him a risky proposition? I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, just that I'm not sure how risky it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->