Raptors Discussion: V44| #WeTheNorth | Winning early-season games? Blasphemy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
And yet neither of those things were his best skill because he was a ridiculous playmaker/passer. He was damn-near psychic.

If there's a guy in another sport that was anything like Gretzky in terms of ability to see the flow of the game develop far ahead of everyone else in play, it was Magic. Magic was like what would happen if you put Gretzky's brain into Mario Lemieux's body.

I don't see those crazy bounce passes anymore. Mind you i don't watch much NBA nowadays. But the thing I remember the most from Magic is those crazy full speed bounce passes

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't see those crazy bounce passes anymore. Mind you i don't watch much NBA nowadays. But the thing I remember the most from Magic is those crazy full speed bounce passes

Steve Nash did them too. But yeah, you don't see them anymore because of the move away from the pure playmaking PG to the more attack-oriented, drive-and-kick "combo" guard type. The only time you see those passes really is with guys like Tony Wroten who make them not because they're right, but because they want to be flashy and cool and usually end up putting out a bunch of easy turnovers because they're trying too hard to force balls through the defence.

Ricky Rubio has that kind of playmaking potential in him too, but it's limited by his godawful inability to shoot. Like, at all.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
What's going on with Valanciunas, is he going to develop some kind of post game at all? Or even become better defensively? He hardly played in the 2nd half and was the reason we were being killed by Gasol along with Patterson. I know Derozen had a bad game but what's up with Valanciunas?

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
Steve Nash did them too. But yeah, you don't see them anymore because of the move away from the pure playmaking PG to the more attack-oriented, drive-and-kick "combo" guard type. The only time you see those passes really is with guys like Tony Wroten who make them not because they're right, but because they want to be flashy and cool and usually end up putting out a bunch of easy turnovers because they're trying too hard to force balls through the defence.

Ricky Rubio has that kind of playmaking potential in him too, but it's limited by his godawful inability to shoot. Like, at all.

awesome man. you know your ****. honestly i've stopped watching basketball long ago and just got back in it when the raptors became a better team. then lost interest again and here I am watching them again. It's gonna take me time to re-acclimatize my self with this team.

Jaysfanatic*

Yet we still took 2-2 from them last year. When buddy gets hurt this year for the season, they won't be good enough.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What's going on with Valanciunas, is he going to develop some kind of post game at all? Or even become better defensively? He hardly played in the 2nd half and was the reason we were being killed by Gasol along with Patterson. I know Derozen had a bad game but what's up with Valanciunas?

He's still young. People forget that he's just in his 3rd year and is 22. And while Lithuania isn't a garbage league, it's not exactly one of the high end Euro Leagues, so it's not like he cut his teeth against near-NBA competition. He's putting the basic pieces together, it just is gonna take some time. It's also harder for him to really show his offence off or develop it at a rapid pace when he's the 3rd option, at best, for the Raps. The building blocks of the post game are there. He apparently worked with Hakeem Olajuwon this off-season, which is pretty much the best thing you can do if you want to learn how to play in the post as a C. What makes it look different for him is that he doesn't do the traditional post stuff where the PG dumps the ball down low to him and he goes to work. Lots of his looks are quick. So he gets the ball and then does a quick turn and blow-by into a layup, or quickly chains a dropstep and pivot into a hook or a scoop shot. It looks different, but the guts of the post game are there.

Defensively I think youth and aggressiveness are still the prime culprits. He gets himself into foul trouble easily, which can also make him a bit more passive when he backs off and it feels like he's trying not to commit any more fouls.

awesome man. you know your ****. honestly i've stopped watching basketball long ago and just got back in it when the raptors became a better team. then lost interest again and here I am watching them again. It's gonna take me time to re-acclimatize my self with this team.

It's a fun team to watch. They really sort of take on Lowry's personality, so you get this kind of scrappy, energetic, punch/counter-punch team that pressures and harasses at both ends of the court.

As for me talking basketball, it's mostly because I played growing up. I never played hockey so I can't really speak to that like a lot of others on HF can. But I played when I was younger and the then-new Grizzlies were the first pro sports team that I really followed and immersed myself in. Nobody in my house really watched much hockey growing up either, but my mom was/is a huge basketball fan so we watched NBA games and then went to games and whatnot. Hell, when the Raps were here, I took her to the game becuase she's the biggest basketball fan I know and she's been sad since the Grizzlies left that we don't have any live pro basketball options close by (especially since the Sonics left too and now the closest option is Portland) :laugh:

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Casey ****ing kills me. And Derozan...come on man, learn to adapt. You know they're going to defend you with the best, learn to distribute and create for others. Those two singlehandedly cost us the game.

bobbyt911

The Around the League thread is just below this one, so he just probably clicked the wrong one by mistake.

hey wth when I clicked the Raptor thread was the 2nd one lol, I clicked on what I thought was the top 1 oops,

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
B2XiKcbIAAEGZlm.jpg

Good to see Chuck's heart is still in TO. Guy genuinely loves the Raps, even as a Bulls broadcaster.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
As for me talking basketball, it's mostly because I played growing up. I never played hockey so I can't really speak to that like a lot of others on HF can. But I played when I was younger and the then-new Grizzlies were the first pro sports team that I really followed and immersed myself in. Nobody in my house really watched much hockey growing up either, but my mom was/is a huge basketball fan so we watched NBA games and then went to games and whatnot. Hell, when the Raps were here, I took her to the game becuase she's the biggest basketball fan I know and she's been sad since the Grizzlies left that we don't have any live pro basketball options close by (especially since the Sonics left too and now the closest option is Portland) :laugh:

Awesome man. nice to know. Talking about the post game and Grizzlies I remember a big useless guy there haha. forget his name. but that's great. Look at the grizzlies now. i think best record in the nba . i've always wondered why the hell didn't memphis change their name. anyways nice that you saw the raptors live there with your mom must have been special! :thumbu:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Awesome man. nice to know. Talking about the post game and Grizzlies I remember a big useless guy there haha. forget his name. but that's great. Look at the grizzlies now. i think best record in the nba . i've always wondered why the hell didn't memphis change their name. anyways nice that you saw the raptors live there with your mom must have been special! :thumbu:

Bryant Reeves.

**** Stu Jackson. He crapped the bed at the draft so often.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Pretty sure the Grizz also gave up the 2nd overall pick in 2003 to the Pistons (who picked Milicic :facepalm:).

yeah, like 5 years ahead of that draft. In exchange for Grant Long. And that's nothing really against Grant Long who was a fine depth PF. But they gambled big that they wouldn't still suck 5 years down the road when that trade was made and they gambled wrong.

Funny thing is that the pick had protection clauses on it for all the years after the deal was made. The reason it took so long for hte pick to be exchanged was the each year it was protected for high pick #s that the Grizzlies ended up having their selection fall into. Then in 2003 it was protected just for the 1st overall slot and they actually finished with a not-entirely-crappy record (like 7th or 8th worst), so by all rights they should've just given up like a 8th-10th pick. But then they had to go and have the godawful luck to get shifted up the lottery board all the way from their starting point to the highest possible pick they could get without retaining the selection for themselves.

The only saving grace was that Detroit ****ed up and picked Darko over Carmelo, Bosh. Wade, and pretty much every other useful player in that 1st round. It was a fair choice at the time because Darko had lots of hype as a fluid, mobile big-man. But in retrospect it was uber-dumb.

As for the Grizzlies, they basically alternated good picks and awful picks their entire Vancouver tenure.

95: Reeves - Awful. Saved only by the fact that the only significant lottery player they missed on was Stoudamire. But Reeves was awful. He played well enough to cash in on the franchise's first big, fat contract extension. Then he showed up to the next training camp as a fat tub of goo and played his way out of the league and back home to farmboy country where he would collect a few more years of fat Vancouver paycheques while huntin' and fishin'

96: Shareef Abdur-Rahim - Awesome. You could argue that they blew it by not picking Ray Allen, Kobe, or Steve Nash out of the lottery-selected guys, but Allen apparently didn't want to go to Vancouver, Kobe was allegedly angling for a big market team all along down in his spot (rumor has it that he only "OKed" being picked by the Hornets because his camp knew he would be traded to LA) and Nash wasn't projected to be more than a pretty-good starter at the time. Still, Shareef was one of the underrated offensive players of the mid/late 90s. He was sliky smooth and had a good all-around game, and basically could play either forward position. He was also my first favorite player for any long stretch of itme.

97: Antonio Daniels - Awful. This was kind of a crappy draft overall, but they would've been better off with just about anyone else after Daniels. T-Mac, Mercer, and Tim Thomas particularly were good-to-great players for some period of time.

98: Mike Bibby - Awesome. Jamison, Carter, Dirk, Pierce, might've ended up better, but Bibby was a good building block as a PG.

99: Steve Francis -
ie2zhyoTZvjkS.png

yep.

00: Stromile Swift - Awful. yep. They chose the last Vancouver draft of franchise history to break the streak by picking the crappy Swift in an overall entirely terrible draft. And then they moved to Memphis.

They were also kind of hamstrung by ridiculous expansion rules that limited them to not picking in the top 4 in their first draft and then not getting to win the 1st pick in the next like 5 years, but still.

Last edited:

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
That 3rd quarter was absolutely abysmal. Combination of terrible reffing and terrible defense. Also Demar was horrible last night ... yeah sure credit Jimmy Butler for his D but Demar also missed so many shots. Would have been nice to see the Raps get the W but hopefully this is a wakeup call.

They need to start playing a full 48. Can't just win every game in the 4th

Edit: also wtf where was Val the entire second half ... smh Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->