USNTDP Erik Johnson Heading to Wisconsin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
If I were you I'd delete this before a Gopher fan comes along. ;)

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
cagney said:
If I were you I'd delete this before a Gopher fan comes along. ;)

We're Here!! :D

Maybe you are thinking of a lesser talent McBain, a defenseman from MN that will be suiting up for the BADgers, he got tired of waiting for an offer from the U of MN...so, once again...a Gopher reject! I kid, I kid.... :lol

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
chaachie12 said:
We're Here!! :D

Maybe you are thinking of a lesser talent McBain, a defenseman from MN that will be suiting up for the BADgers, he got tired of waiting for an offer from the U of MN...so, once again...a Gopher reject! I kid, I kid.... :lol

I'm not.

GO-PHER RE-JECTS!

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Not to nit pick but...

Wisconson... 6th in the country
Gophers... 9th

It'd be one thing if you were trying to take a shot at Minnesota St. but to try and shut down Wisconson like this isn't the wisest thing since both programs are pretty equal.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
Not to nit pick but...

Gophers... 9th

It'd be one thing if you were trying to take a shot at Minnesota St. but to try and shut down Wisconson like this isn't the wisest thing since both programs are pretty equal.

Maybe this year. They haven't been other than that in recent years. Minnesota has had the upper hand. Not to mention, historically, the Gophers have owned Wisconsin head to head.

Not to mention, the poll you are mentioning has human bias. Look at the more important pairwise or KRACH rankings and Minnesota is ranked higher.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Schlep Rock said:
Not to nit pick but...

Gophers... 9th

I can try and shut wisconny down, we took 3 of 4 from them.

TeamSeals

Feb 27, 2005
Minnetonka
funny thing is at the badger game in wisconsin they were chanting badger rejects, promptly to lose the game. when i heard the chant i hit the floor laughing at the student section and my badger friends couldnt figure out why. i garauntee the gophers go farther than the badgers in both the wcha tourny and ncaa tourny. u cant beat the gophers with minnesota rejects

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Schlep Rock said:
Not to nit pick but...

Gophers... 9th

Wisconsin just can't compare to Minnesota when you're talking hockey - I don't care how many championships they've won, what their record is this year, etc. Most of the elite Badgers from past and present aren't from Wisconsin, they just get recruited to play there.

Minnesota, Michigan, Massachussetts: the holy trinity of American hockey. Wisconsin is second tier.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
PuckFan01 said:
Maybe this year. They haven't been other than that in recent years. Minnesota has had the upper hand. Not to mention, historically, the Gophers have owned Wisconsin head to head.

Not to mention, the poll you are mentioning has human bias. Look at the more important pairwise or KRACH rankings and Minnesota is ranked higher.

Very valid point.

What is your comment about Kessel if he ends up at Wisc? What about Skille? Connelly?

Mueller, Stoa, Okposo are huge for Minny... Wheeler is overrated (IMHO) and Johnson is another STUD. Obviously RJ Anderson is another blue chippah.

But you just can't knock Wisconson as a second-rate program when they're in it year-in-year-out.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Monkeypox said:
Wisconsin just can't compare to Minnesota when you're talking hockey - I don't care how many championships they've won, what their record is this year, etc. Most of the elite Badgers from past and present aren't from Wisconsin, they just get recruited to play there.

Minnesota, Michigan, Massachussetts: the holy trinity of American hockey. Wisconsin is second tier.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... what the heck are you talking about?

I'm speaking of the school, not the state. I never said Wisconson is a better hockey state that Minnesota... it's not and likely NEVER will be!

I simply said both University of Minnesota and Wisconson have great programs and it's very tough to bash the Badgers as a second rate PROGRAM.

Potulny (one of the Gophers) top players is from North Dakota... who cares? Doesn't matter where they're from for this arguement.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
But you just can't knock Wisconson as a second-rate program when they're in it year-in-year-out.

Year in and year out? I'd suggest taking a hard look at the last 10 to 15 years of their hockey program and you'll find that such a remark is far from the truth. No title since 1990 and only a few years of actually being a legit contender. They didn't get rid of Sauer a few years ago because they were in it "year in and year out". They had an extended stretch of mediocre hockey for a while.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
PuckFan01 said:
Year in and year out? I'd suggest taking a hard look at the last 10 to 15 years of their hockey program and you'll find that such a remark is far from the truth. No title since 1990 and only a few years of actually being a legit contender. They didn't get rid of Sauer a few years ago because they were in it "year in and year out". They had an extended stretch of mediocre hockey for a while.

Ok, valid point. Minny has had more recent success, yes. But explain to me how you can knock Wisconson like a second-rate program? The poster right below you starts arguing he doesn't care about the past so if you throw the past out and look at the two teams this year, they're pretty equal (even though I think he CLEARLY misunderstood what I was trying to say by comparing the two states).

Wisconson has 12 NHL draft picks while Minnesota has 10. Not a drastic difference but it at least shows they are on the same playing field.

Rivalries are one thing but to try and say the Badgers are "Gopher rejects" just shows ignorance.

UWSaint

Dec 28, 2004
Wisconsin
Of course Wisconsin is an elite hockey program: much like USC remained an elite College Football program despite the very mediocre run they had prior to the current crop.

Coach Sauer--like Robinson (and like Woog)--stayed on well past his prime. The program suffered strings of average play in a very good league, though continuing to recruit talent (e.g., Heatley, Reinprecht), and not just taking Minnesota rejects, but stealing a few.

The Woog era was as dark as the close of the Sauer era. The Gophers won ZERO NCAA titles in the 80's and 90's. In the 90's, like Wisconsin, they sent only two squads to the Frozen Four.

Having lived in both states, there is no question that Minnesota is a better hockey state. But both programs are storied, successful, and reemmerging; Minnesota is futher along, but the Badgers have the staff and recruiting in place to be a perrenniel top 10 team.

I really like the current UW roster, which needs only a finisher to be the complete package. As the overwhelming majority of the roster are underclassman, with no NHL on the horizon, and no players close to ready for the NHL (and only a couple who would benefit considerably from AHL play over NCAA), the core should return, hopefully with Kessel supplying the finishing. . . .

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
UWSaint said:
Of course Wisconsin is an elite hockey program: much like USC remained an elite College Football program despite the very mediocre run they had prior to the current crop.

Coach Sauer--like Robinson (and like Woog)--stayed on well past his prime. The program suffered strings of average play in a very good league, though continuing to recruit talent (e.g., Heatley, Reinprecht), and not just taking Minnesota rejects, but stealing a few.

The Woog era was as dark as the close of the Sauer era. The Gophers won ZERO NCAA titles in the 80's and 90's. In the 90's, like Wisconsin, they sent only two squads to the Frozen Four.

Having lived in both states, there is no question that Minnesota is a better hockey state. But both programs are storied, successful, and reemmerging; Minnesota is futher along, but the Badgers have the staff and recruiting in place to be a perrenniel top 10 team.

I really like the current UW roster, which needs only a finisher to be the complete package. As the overwhelming majority of the roster are underclassman, with no NHL on the horizon, and no players close to ready for the NHL (and only a couple who would benefit considerably from AHL play over NCAA), the core should return, hopefully with Kessel supplying the finishing. . . .

:handclap:

No question Minny as a STATE is a better state for hockey.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
Ok, valid point. Minny has had more recent success, yes. But explain to me how you can knock Wisconson like a second-rate program?

When you show me where I said they are second rate, I will answer. But I never said that so I am not sure why you are remarking as if I did.

Do I think their program is equal to Minnesota? No. But I never said they were second rate either.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
PuckFan01 said:
When you show me where I said they are second rate, I will answer. But I never said that so I am not sure why you are remarking as if I did.

Do I think their program is equal to Minnesota? No. But I never said they were second rate either.

When I said "you" I meant in general the people here joking Gopher-rejects, etc.

Minn is a great program but they've had some embarassing losses this year (Michigan Tech) and with Briggs out how confident are they in Johnson?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Briggs may be back in time. Johnson won the final five a few years ago, and has the potential to win allthough it will be tough. And aren't the gophers like 3-5 in the pairwise so we will get a number one seed and be playing in Mariucci. And this is a rebuilding year. We have had the longest current streak of home ice in fianl five too. WI is a good program too. With the 2 Colorado teams up there. Hard to say what will become of NoDak with no Blais and Sandlan seems to have tUMD going in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad