USHS Stats?

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
I guess Jared Festler (born 10/89) is a kid to watch for the 2008 draft... 109 points (62 G, 47 A) in 25 games as a HS junior at Little Falls (MN). :amazed: Even though Little Falls is just Class A, those are still very impressive numbers, methinks.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Where do you find High School stats like that? I'd like to find those stats for Pat White.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I guess Jared Festler (born 10/89) is a kid to watch for the 2008 draft... 109 points (62 G, 47 A) in 25 games as a HS junior at Little Falls (MN). :amazed: Even though Little Falls is just Class A, those are still very impressive numbers, methinks.
Do a quick search and you'll find Festler is a point of contention amongst MSHSL followers. Many believe Little Falls' schedule was nothing short of a joke. Personally, I think that's extremely disrespectful to the players of Little Falls' opposing teams.

Anyway, Fesler has already proven himself in "Elite League" and National Select competition. His college team coach (SCSU's Motzko) has told him that he'll need to play a year in the USHL before he becomes a Husky. So, if that's next year and he does well... his draft stock could skyrocket. If he plays for Little Falls next year or struggles in the USHL... he'll likely be a late rounder.

Elite League Stats (scroll down)

National Select Stats

Scouting or no scouting, any name that appears near the top of all three lists should become a quality hockey player. There's some very familiar names for the 2007 draft that fit that criteria (Ryan McDonagh, Nico Sacchetti, Tyler Johnson, Tyler Kieffer, etc.)

Last edited:

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Where do you find High School stats like that? I'd like to find those stats for Pat White.
Pat White was injured much of the season and plays in a difficult section. Take his stats with a grain of salt. You'd be better served looking for State Tournament playoff video to see how he dominates the ice when he's out there. Also, remember that his performance with USA's U18 team was impressive despite the fact that that's the highest level of competition he's ever played at.

Unfortunate to have to say this, but the Gophers got a good one.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
For Minnesota you can go to http://www.geocities.com/dent0110/

Besides the stats listed you can go through thier links section and find stats for pretty much any Minnesota high school player.

For new England Prep you can go to www.ushr.com , though you have to pay for access.

Ever since the NEPSIHA site went down, it's gotten harder to find stats for the NE preps (for free). I know that some of the school's pages (such as Salisbury and I believe AOF) do have their player's stats listed. I've got many of the prep school hockey pages bookmarked, so if you want specific program links, just PM me and let me know which ones you want.

Also, I'd suggest checking out the NEHJ site as well.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Do a quick search and you'll find Festler is a point of contention amongst MSHSL followers. Many believe Little Falls' schedule was nothing short of a joke. Personally, I think that's extremely disrespectful to the players of Little Falls' opposing teams.

Anyway, Fesler has already proven himself in "Elite League" and National Select competition. His college team coach (SCSU's Motzko) has told him that he'll need to play a year in the USHL before he becomes a Husky. So, if that's next year and he does well... his draft stock could skyrocket. If he plays for Little Falls next year or struggles in the USHL... he'll likely be a late rounder.

Its not so much that Fesler is not good, or even a top notch player. But when compared to a guy like Saccetii. Virginia played Grand Rapids and Cloquet two ranked AA teams. They play Internatioanl Falls, Defield, Hibbing, Hermantown, all top A schools. Where Little Falls played Sauk Rapids Rice and that was about it until the state tourney where they went 0-2. So when people say that Fesler is so great because he scored so much; it is misleading when compared to other players who put up solid numbers against better competition. Little Falls had 5 games where they scored over 10 goals. Virginia did have 3.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=410 is another good one with all teams.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Its not so much that Fesler is not good, or even a top notch player. But when compared to a guy like Saccetii. Virginia played Grand Rapids and Cloquet two ranked AA teams. They play Internatioanl Falls, Defield, Hibbing, Hermantown, all top A schools. Where Little Falls played Sauk Rapids Rice and that was about it until the state tourney where they went 0-2. So when people say that Fesler is so great because he scored so much; it is misleading when compared to other players who put up solid numbers against better competition. Little Falls had 5 games where they scored over 10 goals. Virginia did have 3.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=410 is another good one with all teams.

It has also been mentioned that the schedule he plays against is not his fault. But you bring up Sacchetti...Festler also outscored him in the Elite League and the Select Camp against the same competition. Just sayin...

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
It has also been mentioned that the schedule he plays against is not his fault. But you bring up Sacchetti...Festler also outscored him in the Elite League and the Select Camp against the same competition. Just sayin...

Selects isn't worth mentioning because they mix the players up and some players get dealt a much better hand for teammates than others. Besides, you are talking about the difference of one point between the two. Not to mention, Sacchetti was one of the players chosen by the scouts for the USA team later that summer. Festler was not.

Elite League is a much better example. The problem is some players don't play every weekend and that makes some comparisons misleading.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Selects isn't worth mentioning because they mix the players up and some players get dealt a much better hand for teammates than others. Besides, you are talking about the difference of one point between the two. Not to mention, Sacchetti was one of the players chosen by the scouts for the USA team later that summer. Festler was not.

Elite League is a much better example. The problem is some players don't play every weekend and that makes some comparisons misleading.
I told you all Festler was a point of contention. ;)

I can't wait to see what he can do in the USHL. I think his performance there will answer all questions.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Yes he was chosen. I'm not saying Sacchetti is a bad player, just that when they have faced the same competition, Festler has outproduced him. Nothing more.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Going head to head Sachhettii out scores Festler. 3g 1a to 1g. Against Hermantown Sachhettii gets 2g 1a. Festler gets 1g 1a. In games vs Grand Rapids and Clouqet combined. Two top AA teams. Sachetti gets 3g 1a. Against top A teams like Inernational Falls 2a, Denfield 2g 3a, Hibbing 3 games 3g 3a total. He was going steady against the best in his class.

I do not blame Festler. Nor do i think he is a bad player. Or could even be a great player. But to look at his 110 points and it makes guys like Marvin, Sachetti, and LeBlanc look like they could not keep up. When their respective schedules were the top A teams and some of the top AA teams in the state. Most people outside of MN will look at A vs AA and go by that. But it was not that simple for Festler. Its not Festlers fault. But if he had played in section 7 or 8. He would have been around 70 points IMO.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It's not entirely fair to Festler to do a comparison that way either as the players surrounding Sacchetti are better overall than the players surrounding Festler. Outside of the Hanowski brother's and Bergland, no one on Little Falls is going to scare anyone and that includes the goaltending.
It just makes me wonder if the stats can be skewed due to better teammates.

I hope a good season in the USHL will shut people up about this kid, but I fear (since his Elite league performance didn't) it won't.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
It's not entirely fair to Festler to do a comparison that way either as the players surrounding Sacchetti are better overall than the players surrounding Festler. Outside of the Hanowski brother's and Bergland, no one on Little Falls is going to scare anyone and that includes the goaltending.
It just makes me wonder if the stats can be skewed due to better teammates.

I hope a good season in the USHL will shut people up about this kid, but I fear (since his Elite league performance didn't) it won't.

Its not that he is a bad player. Its his stats are blown way out of poportion. Thats all.

Who do you think Sachettii had? There was one guy in the 50s, 2 40s and the whole team only had 10 guys over 10 points. Thats a one line team as well. And not as good as the Hanowski brothers either.

Look at what Nick Larson did. 7 points in 12 games. Martel outscored McDonaugh. So is Martel the better D man? The elite league is just like nike, Howard Pulley and Streets basketball leagues. They are show cases. But a real indicator is how a player can do when they play on a regular ole team of their level. For those guys it was high school. And Festler had a cake walk. Averaging over 4 points a game. But when the competion got better he was closer to a 2-3 point guy. That still puts him atop the states best. But not a clear cut run away like it shows.

Last edited:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Maybe it was just my opinion, but I liked Virginia as a team better than I did Little Falls, so that's how I came up with that.
And yes, Festler's stats are high, but as I've said before the schedule he plays is not his fault and it's unfair to him to discount what he does just because he plays a weaker schedule, especially when he has proven he can play against the best in the state. I'm not saying Festler is the best in the state, I know he's not, but the simple fact is, this kid CAN play. I heard a lot of people this season saying that if Festler was on say CDH or Edina, he'd be average at best which is a load of bull.
I'm defending this kid because I've seen him play and I know that while his stats may be inflated, that he has a lot of skill. Yet every time he does well, there is some excuse made for it and it drives me nuts.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
It's not entirely fair to Festler to do a comparison that way either as the players surrounding Sacchetti are better overall than the players surrounding Festler.

Virginia may have a better team but they also played a more rigorous schedule and that makes points tougher to come by.

Grand Rapids, Hermantown, Hibbing (three times), and Cloquet were all top flight teams Virginia played this past year. Up until the state tourney, LF didn't have to face anything like that.

I would also mention that one of the two players in question was doing his damage without the luxury of another future D1 player playing on his line every game. Which certainly helps take the heat off since the other team can't focus all its energy on stopping one guy.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Yet every time he does well, there is some excuse made for it and it drives me nuts.

I would also mention that one of the two players in question was doing his damage without the luxury of another future D1 player playing on his line every game. Which certainly helps take the heat off since the other team can't focus all its energy on stopping one guy.

Case in point.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You may not like it but it is a fact.

Did I say it wasn't? What exactly is your point here? First Festler only gets his points because of his team's crappy schedule, now he only gets them because he has the Hanowski's as his linemates. When exactly is Festler going to be recognized for actually being a good player and not just a beneficiary of the circumstances and players around him? Let me know, I'll come back and see if you actually do it.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Did I say it wasn't? What exactly is your point here? First Festler only gets his points because of his team's crappy schedule, now he only gets them because he has the Hanowski's as his linemates. When exactly is Festler going to be recognized for actually being a good player and not just a beneficiary of the circumstances and players around him? Let me know, I'll come back and see if you actually do it.

How good do you think Festler is?

Top three in the state i would have to say where. McDonaugh, White and Johnson from clouqet.

Top ten would probally have been the forementioned. Sachettii, LeBlanc, Marvin, Larson, Matson, Mattson, Hansen, Martel, Festler, Dorr, Johnson(Duluth East, Denfield), Cristinson, Hickey, Youso, Ness, Lee and many more competing for that next level. I think it is fair to put Festler there. But that means he may not be a top 15 player depending on who ranks these guys. Does not mean he is bad. But his numbers vs where he actually ranks is off. To be in that top 15 is very very solid. As many of those guys will have great success at the next level. And some will make it to the NHL and should have success there.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
How good do you think Festler is?

Top three in the state i would have to say where. McDonaugh, White and Johnson from clouqet.

Top ten would probally have been the forementioned. Sachettii, LeBlanc, Marvin, Larson, Matson, Mattson, Hansen, Martel, Festler, Dorr, Johnson(Duluth East, Denfield), Cristinson, Hickey, Youso, Ness, Lee and many more competing for that next level. I think it is fair to put Festler there. But that means he may not be a top 15 player depending on who ranks these guys. Does not mean he is bad. But his numbers vs where he actually ranks is off. To be in that top 15 is very very solid. As many of those guys will have great success at the next level. And some will make it to the NHL and should have success there.

And that's fine with me. I never said he was top 3, 5, 10 or whatever. But according to most posts by Puckfan01, Festler isn't actually good, there is always some other reason as to why he shouldn't be considered as good.
In High school its the schedule he plays against,

Virginia may have a better team but they also played a more rigorous schedule and that makes points tougher to come by.

Grand Rapids, Hermantown, Hibbing (three times), and Cloquet were all top flight teams Virginia played this past year. Up until the state tourney, LF didn't have to face anything like that.

Then it's that he has a D-1 level linemate...

Then we can't talk about anything he did in the Elite league or selects...

So I just want to know from this guy....what does Festler have to do, what level does he have to play at and against whom does he have to play against in order to be recognized on his own merits and not have excuses made for him.
A good season in the USHL? A good WCHA career? What exactly will it take because I'll come back and see if he can actually say it without some excuse, but I won't be holding my breath.

Personally, I think Festler will be a good 4 year player for SCSU, and that's as far as I'm thinking right now. Same thing with Jordy Christian. AS of now, the only SCSU high school recruit that I think has a shot at the NHL, is Marvin. So its not as though I'm inflating these guys extraordinarily.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
I don't pay attention to high school stats at all. With junior hockey, all of the teams are fairly close in ability, and the schedules are insular enough.

With high school, there's a lot of games where kids could rack up as many points as they want. It's just one of those things where you have to actually watch the player to get a good feel.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
And that's fine with me. I never said he was top 3, 5, 10 or whatever. But according to most posts by Puckfan01, Festler isn't actually good, there is always some other reason as to why he shouldn't be considered as good.

It would appear that you are trying to manufacture something that was never said. Maybe as a way to save face in the discussion I guess.

I never said he wasn't any good. I simply made some valid points as to why focusing on numbers in some circumstances can very misleading. Just because valid points are made about the numbers doesn't mean somebody is saying a player is no good. I'd say you are overreacting.

As far as the teammate remark, you are the one that brought "better teammates" into the discussion in regard to another player. Now you are acting like it is unfair to refute such statements with a fact? I'd say that is a tad hypocritical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad