USHL '04 draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This could be the best year the USHL has seen at the draft table this summer. I don't know how many USHL fans there are around here, but I'd love to get some info on a few of the guys. I watched the USHL all star game (which is nothing like a normal all stars, it was a very good game with hitting, a penalty or two, not goal every other minute (I hate those 13-9 high scoring games) but a solid and intense game)

Anyways I liked several players in that game, and really liked Klubertanz (who scored a wicked one timer) and Stastny. Oreskovic looks impressive as well.

Mike Howe (I think he's going to UMinn next year?), Matt Vokes, Jim McKenize also looked good.

This should be a big year for the USHL at the draft, good for the league. :handclap:

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
montreal said:
This could be the best year the USHL has seen at the draft table this summer. I don't know how many USHL fans there are around here, but I'd love to get some info on a few of the guys. I watched the USHL all star game (which is nothing like a normal all stars, it was a very good game with hitting, a penalty or two, not goal every other minute (I hate those 13-9 high scoring games) but a solid and intense game)

Anyways I liked several players in that game, and really liked Klubertanz (who scored a wicked one timer) and Stastny. Oreskovic looks impressive as well.

Mike Howe (I think he's going to UMinn next year?), Matt Vokes, Jim McKenize also looked good.

This should be a big year for the USHL at the draft, good for the league. :handclap:

How did Sean Garrity look?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Every draft year, the USHL is underrated going into the draft, and every year people are always suprised that players have gone high and then they ask who they are (Hello Generalization, but It's true).

People were saying, who's Matthew Carle, who's David Backes, who's Dan Irmen, who's Ryan Potulny. And while Irmen and Potulny haven't really had great freshman NCAA years, Carle and Backes have for sure.

The USHL's class is only getting stronger because not only is the American hockey prospect group getting stronger in general, more Canadian players are choosing the NCAA route/USHL as well. (However, it seems more Americans are choosing the CHL route too, kind of like we have flip flopped leagues. God tired of the one, so lets switch...)

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Brock said:
People were saying, who's Matthew Carle, who's David Backes, who's Dan Irmen, who's Ryan Potulny. And while Irmen and Potulny haven't really had great freshman NCAA years, Carle and Backes have for sure.

I think Irmen's been a nice surprise. Better season than I expected from him, at least. I don't expect much more than 10 goals from a freshman, which is what Irmen hit this weekend. Maybe some people expect more from a third rounder. I dunno. It's kind of nice having the USHL go unnoticed/underrated. Not as nice for the kids, I suppose, but it's always fun when the scouts recommend a pick that surprises people.

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
ceber said:
I think Irmen's been a nice surprise. Better season than I expected from him, at least. I don't expect much more than 10 goals from a freshman, which is what Irmen hit this weekend. Maybe some people expect more from a third rounder. I dunno. It's kind of nice having the USHL go unnoticed/underrated. Not as nice for the kids, I suppose, but it's always fun when the scouts recommend a pick that surprises people.

I Agree here. Irmen has been solid for the U of MN. HE is fiesty, passionate, and a hard worker. Adding what will be around 20 points is a solid year, especially for a guy who is supposed to be a 2-way forward. He will be in the 40 point range by the time he is done at the U, that is pretty good, imo. :bow:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Schlep Rock said:
How did Sean Garrity look?

I didn't notice him, but I have the game on tape so I'll watch it again at some point.

As for the USHL I started to follow them when Vanek was down there, as I heard so many good things about him. Plus I talked with Habs prospect Matt Shasby about his days in the USHL and he had a lot of good things to say about the league, which also got me more interested. Since then I've been keeping an eye on some of the prospects down there. Carle looks impressive at Denver, hope the Habs can steal a pick like that. (not that the Sharks stole him, since he was drafted so high)

There looks to be a number of solid guys in the USHL this year which is great to see. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->