Useless Thread MDCCXXXIII: The Day After the Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
I just have a moral and ethical issue with people saying Trotz should be fired when the team clearly hasn't quit on him yet. Does a team that quit on Trotz score 2 in the first and go on a 4-0 goal run? He's still there, they're still paying attention to him. If you want him gone, fine, I'm not going to argue that. If you are going to give the excuse of inconsistency or road woes, I'm not going to argue that either. You're entitled to your opinion. But firing him now isn't going to do much. The best time to fire him is after the season ends. I seriously doubt an interim coach can just hop in this situation and win a Cup. Are we that desperate for a championship that we are willing to entertain the thought of Daryl Sutter, a man who players hate, a general jerk in particular, to lead this team? Need I remind you he A) missed the playoffs in his last season and B. Even if that's not good enough for you his last PLAYOFF run was a quick elimination to the Sharks with a loaded Kings team. What makes you think that he would succeed here?

Sep 19, 2008
O
I was involved in the heated debate yesterday over the ETHICS of eating lunch. Some people say they pack they lunch every day and some people like me go out to eat for lunch nearly every day. Cafeterias within walking distance, drive to somewhere like Chipotle or something. So which side of this debate do you align yourself with?
I'm not spending time at home cooking food to bring to work. I'm eating out every day if I'm not at home, barring occasional exceptions.

Sep 19, 2008
There were rumblings for a while so I'm not really surprised, sounds like the NYT is about to blow the lid off the thing. I'll just say I enjoyed that man's comedy for a long time starting from this very show (they used to play the promo coming back from commercial break about the boat story) and I always enjoyed his appearances but if what the NYT is about to release is true then it's a huge mark on his career. It sucks but you can't say he wasn't asking for it.

Sep 19, 2008
Dave Martinez - Wikipedia
On July 14, 1988, Martinez was traded to the Montreal Expos in exchange for Mitch Webster.[19][20] He finished 1988 with a .255 batting average and 23 stolen bases.[21]
Martinez was pegged as a platoon player in Montreal, as he batted against right-handed pitchers and sat against left-handed pitchers. The Expos also had outfielders Otis Nixon, Marquis Grissom and Larry Walker on their roster.[2] He played 126 games in 1989, hitting .274.[21] In 1990, Martinez lost the competition for the center field job to Grissom. However, Grissom was injured,[22] and Martinez platooned with Nixon in center field. Martinez batted .279 with 11 home runs in 118 games in 1990.[23] He batted .295 in 1991.[24]

Sep 19, 2008
You must have heard wrong because on HFBoards and this very reddit Dusty was eviscerated for not winning playoff games. In fact on HFBoards I was told "Why did the Nationals hire someone with a TRACK RECORD of losing playoff games." So that kind of thought is out there and it is always what Dusty will be remembered for, sad to say.
At no point did I hear that Dusty was going to "get the Nats over the hump." In fact, recent history was to the contrary regarding that. I did hear that he had a veteran team that was a lot better than his teams in Cincinnati. But repeatedly on message boards the comment about Dusty was that he could not win playoff series / elimination games. Simple as that.

Sep 19, 2008
Not a big fan of commentary on videos. Most of the time it's just distracting or the commentator has an obnoxious personality. I don't want to hear any explanation or pandering for votes when I'm trying to figure out how to beat a level (which is why your video was probably accessed in the first place). Let's say I wanted to buy the latest f1 game. What purposes would I have for commentary about the race itself? It doesn't matter to me. I don't care about the improvements in the game from the last iteration, I just want to see the gameplay and audio for myself without commentary.
I will say this though listening to some of my German commentary subscriptions is nice though, and it may sound contradictory, but German is a great language. And I don't understand a word.

Sep 19, 2008
Sad that one of the Scott brothers from Property Brothers opened up about his divorce because HGTV has all these happy people on television but in reality it is not all sunshine and roses. I remember that other show Flip or Flop with Tarik and Christina. Christina was a fine lady. They was married with children and then they divorced and Christina ran off with some producer and something. Then I see the supermarket tabloids about Chip and Joanna and I'm like NOT FIXER UPPER
IF YOU MESS WITH MY FIXER UPPER
SHIT

Sep 19, 2008
Every time the teams tried to "Move on" to the next guy they failed and never really got over the hump. Let's be honest, the Giants, Cubs, and Reds all were possible playoff teams. People got tired of Dusty and chased him out. But what happened after that?
Giants
Dusty left after 2002. In 2003 Giants went 100-61. They lost in the DS 3-1. They went 91-71 in 2004 and then didn't make the playoffs until 2010 when they won it all.
Cubs
Dusty joined the Cubs from 2003 to 2006. By the way, they won a playoff series, so there goes your narrative that he can't win playoff series. In 2007, the Cubs went 85-77. They lost in the NLDS 0-3. They lost the next year in 2008 0-3. Then they went cold for a while until 2015.
Reds
Dusty joined the Reds and managed them for 5 years. They lost a NLDS and a play in game. Then the Reds moved on. The Reds afterwards went 76-86 (2014), 64-98 (2015), 68-94 (2016), and 68-94 (2017).
So what is the end game for firing Baker? People wanted him gone because they wanted to take that next step, "win that playoff series". But how many of the teams afterwards really did that? How many took that step forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->