USA wjc evaluation camp starts tomorrow

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
FYI, the USA Hockey site has been updated and inlcudes the practice and game schedules plus the USA Team White and and Team Blue rosters

http://www.usahockey.com/international/main_site/main/home/06_jr_eval_home/

While I agree about USA Hockey being political, in response to the CHL post, I don't think Sanguinetti's non-invite has to do with the CHL route as much as it has to do with the change of mind/pull-out from the national program, etc.

as to the Swedish and Finnish rosters;

see post 28 in the thread below for the Finnish roster

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=270793&page=2

I know I saw a Swedish roster before Backstrom announced he was not going; I will try to track it down.

Unless im blind...but where is Jack and Eric Johnson on those rosters?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Unless im blind...but where is Jack and Eric Johnson on those rosters?
Read the thread man, they're not attending. This is an evaluation camp, and the Johnson's don't need no evaluations, at least thats what I figure is the reasoning.

Zimmerman, and someone else replace the two.

Bam Beet*

Read the thread man, they're not attending. This is an evaluation camp, and the Johnson's don't need no evaluations, at least thats what I figure is the reasoning.

Zimmerman, and someone else replace the two.

OMG Jack Johnson and Eric Johnson didn't make the team!!!! Just kidding :innocent:

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
i think they are loyal to guys that came through the program, and are familiar with their style of play and attitude.

If that is the case then they do not know how to evaluate talent. I know you are not trying to defend their actions, but it seems pretty lame to me that they would penalize a player for playing in Canada, or anywhere else they decide to go. Do they think they have the only or the best system in the world? They need to get over themselves....

My 2 cents.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
All the defensemen that were invited to the camp are very good. Just because he was taken in the first round dosen't make him a lock for the for the team. IMO he is no better than any of the defensmen invited and they should have one of the strongest World Junior teams defensively. I have no doubt that what he did to the NTDP program has something to do with his snub from the camp but he's no Bobby Orr and he is easily replaced.

I understand your perspective and know you are very familiar with the d-men; I don't believe he was a lock to make the team, but I still believe, like others, that there are politics behind Sag... not being extended an invitation to the eval camp. And, again, I don't believe it has much to do with his decision to play juniors in Canada as much as it has to do with how he went about making that decision.

By the way, are you making the trip to see any of the camp/games?

For those interested, games start tonight: Tuesday, August 8

9:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. -- USA Blue Practice, Herb Brooks Arena
10:30 AM - 11:15 AM -- USA White Practice, Herb Brooks Arena
4:00 p.m. -- USA Blue vs. Finland, Herb Brooks Arena
7:00 PM -- USA White vs. Sweden, Herb Brooks Arena

And I didn't see this Hockey Futures write-up mentioned:

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8980

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I understand your perspective and know you are very familiar with the d-men; I don't believe he was a lock to make the team, but I still believe, like others, that there are politics behind Sag... not being extended an invitation to the eval camp. And, again, I don't believe it has much to do with his decision to play juniors in Canada as much as it has to do with how he went about making that decision.

By the way, are you making the trip to see any of the camp/games?

For those interested, games start tonight: Tuesday, August 8

9:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. -- USA Blue Practice, Herb Brooks Arena
10:30 AM - 11:15 AM -- USA White Practice, Herb Brooks Arena
4:00 p.m. -- USA Blue vs. Finland, Herb Brooks Arena
7:00 PM -- USA White vs. Sweden, Herb Brooks Arena

And I didn't see this Hockey Futures write-up mentioned:

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8980
I,m headed out there on Thursday to watch Friday and Saturdays games.
I think Both Johnsons, Lee, and Chorney would be a lock for the top 4 d-men spots. After that the rest of the pack are fighting for the remaining 3 spots. If they take 8 d-men I think Summers has a good shot as he can play forward also.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And we understand that. I know Nigel shouldnt have been invited to the camp. And everyone else does to the first 10 times you said it. I was simply stating that it was overkill that you had to keep re-peating yourself.

I've only brought it up when people are asking. It's not like I'm out there starting a new topic every day on my criticisms of Nigel ****ing Williams.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I,m headed out there on Thursday to watch Friday and Saturdays games.
I think Both Johnsons, Lee, and Chorney would be a lock for the top 4 d-men spots. After that the rest of the pack are fighting for the remaining 3 spots. If they take 8 d-men I think Summers has a good shot as he can play forward also.

Enjoy and look forward to your comments once you return.

Back to my other post that I just re-read, I shouldn't have used the term lock; what I was trying to say, I know there are plenty of d-men in front of him as well as those competing with him, I just thought it was disappointing that Sag was not given the opportunity to compete at the eval camp - enough said on the topic - now back to the guys actually at the camp...hopefully USA Hockey will have some updates tomorrow.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hopefully Michael Sauer makes the team on defense. He'd make the team a whole lot better. I have a sinking feeling he won't, however, which would be downright Pejorative Slured.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
Hopefully Michael Sauer makes the team on defense. He'd make the team a whole lot better. I have a sinking feeling he won't, however, which would be downright Pejorative Slured.

I'm not tryin to pick fights with you but would you please put some substance in your posts. Saying it would be down right Pejorative Slured for a kid not to make the team that to tell you the truth, I haven't seen any predictions on him even making the team and not backing it up makes no sense to me.

Why do you think Sauer should make the team?

Lee, Chorney, EJ, and JJ are locks. I have Mitera, Summers, McBain, Strait, and Fischer all ahead of him.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I'm not tryin to pick fights with you but would you please put some substance in your posts. Saying it would be down right Pejorative Slured for a kid not to make the team that to tell you the truth, I haven't seen any predictions on him even making the team and not backing it up makes no sense to me.

Lee, Chorney, EJ, and JJ are locks. I have Mitera, Summers, McBain, Strait, and Fischer all ahead of him.

Sauer scored 31 points in 59 games, played very good defense and was a key contributor for the winterhawks last year. Summers, Mcbain, Strait and Fischer are all recent draftees who havn't proven anything yet. Why would you have them ahead of Sauer?

Sauer vs. Mitera is a reasobable comparison because tehy where both playing at somewhat comparible levels last year. But the other guys where playing at a level that is below the one that sauer was exceling on .

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Going by the box scores it would appear Rask and Enroth played very well for Finland and Sweden respectfully, as both teams were heavily outshot by the U.S. split squads.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Sauer should make the team because he's one of the top defenseman in the WHL and because he'd be probably the third or fourth most skilled defenseman on the team.

I love summers to death and Strait as well, but neither is in Sauer's class yet. Same as Fischer who is ridiculously raw.

I take it your speaking from not ever seeing the guy otherwise you wouldn't have such opinions.

He's considered one of the top steals in the draft and a lock to go first round in the 2005 draft if it was re-done today.

So tell me -- why shouldn't he make the team if the US was serious about winning and not just having a 90% NCAA team?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sauer should make the team because he's one of the top defenseman in the WHL and because he'd be probably the third or fourth most skilled defenseman on the team.

I love summers to death and Strait as well, but neither is in Sauer's class yet. Same as Fischer who is ridiculously raw.

I take it your speaking from not ever seeing the guy otherwise you wouldn't have such opinions.

He's considered one of the top steals in the draft and a lock to go first round in the 2005 draft if it was re-done today.

So tell me -- why shouldn't he make the team if the US was serious about winning and not just having a 90% NCAA team?

I totally agree. Sauer should have been on the team last year and should be a lock for this year's team as well.

STS44

Apr 13, 2006

Have you seen Sauer play or Sanguinetti for that matter? The Johnson's seem to be locks for sure but if it is an open evaluation camp then guys like Sauer and Sanguinetti - oh I'm sorry that's right Sanguinetti wasn't even invited now was he - should be given a even shot at making the team. The whole US process seems to be determined before hand with a distinct bias towards NCAA players. I will be very pleseantly surprised if Sauer makes the team. He played very well on a middle of the road team at the highest level of Junior competition.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Have you seen Sauer play or Sanguinetti for that matter? The Johnson's seem to be locks for sure but if it is an open evaluation camp then guys like Sauer and Sanguinetti - oh I'm sorry that's right Sanguinetti wasn't even invited now was he - should be given a even shot at making the team. The whole US process seems to be determined before hand with a distinct bias towards NCAA players. I will be very pleseantly surprised if Sauer makes the team. He played very well on a middle of the road team at the highest level of Junior competition.

Exactly. I could care less about Sanguinetti making the team to be honest this year, but next year would be a different story if he improves a lot.

Sauer needs to make the team. It's not even like he snubbed the NTDP or anything! It's an absolute joke if he doesn't.,

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well to be fair, if he has a bad camp then it wouldn't be a joke if he wasn't included. But Sauer is good enough that he should be able to win a spot if the competition truly is open.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com

You're right, I havent seen him and thats why I wanted you to post what you knew about him. I obviously had to have other guys ranked above him if i've never seen him play. If he's as good as you say he is then yes, he should make the team as a 5th or 6th d-man. Although I really like Strait and McBain (not only because I like Wisconsin). It should be a good camp.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You're right, I havent seen him and thats why I wanted you to post what you knew about him. I obviously had to have other guys ranked above him if i've never seen him play. If he's as good as you say he is then yes, he should make the team as a 5th or 6th d-man. Although I really like Strait and McBain (not only because I like Wisconsin). It should be a good camp.

He really should make the team as the 3rd or 4th d-man but that won't happen and I actually doubt he's even picked for the team due to the overwhelming bias.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad